Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya All -

Wonder if someone can give provide me with the follwoing information regarding the BCM in my 1989 Sedan DeVille:

- Where would the best place be to purchase one? I would rather not go to the dealer, but I have called most of the auto parts stores in my area and none seem to carry it. If someone purchased one, where did you get it from. I have also checked all of the junkyards here as well.. none have one from an '89... they just have ones from years '90, '91 and '92. I asked if they cross-referenced .. but they could not tell me.

- Where is the BCM located (I believe it is behind the glove box) and what does it look like? I found 4 computer-type boxes in this vicinity... one of which has to be the BCM... but I cannot tell just by visual examination:

Box 1 - Long thin metal box (almost square) which has only one connector on it (with multiple wires). The plastic part of the connector says "RED" on it.

Box 2 - Long thin rectangular metal box with two connectors on it. Each connector has multiple wires attached to it. On the top of the box is what appears to be a hatch of some sort (looks like to alllow you to get at a memory module). I think this is the BCM... but I am not sure. I also believe at least one of the connectors (if not both) were puple in color... but I could be mistaken on this.

Box 3 - small black box that looks like a relay box... has 4-5 separate connectors for individual wires. Attached with a clip to another plastic piece and is located very close to the vacuum hoses used for the air deflectors. I think this may be related to the A/C circutry. My Service A/C Soon light always comes on...

Box 4 - Again another long thin metal rectangular box that has 6-8 connectors on it with each connector having multiple wires attached. This box is located on the Pass side wall... I believe this is the ECM module.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
TIA

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im sorry, but I dont know the answer to your question..... Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer....

I would buy the BCM through www.gmpartsdirect.com or if they dont have it just get one at the junkyard...

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
I need to replace the BCM in my '89 Deville. I've taken apart the glove box and I can see the BCM far back but do not know how to access it. Do I go from the engine bay or from underneath, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
I wish I knew, but I pay an electrical mechanic to do this kind of stuff for me.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Hiya All -

Wonder if someone can give provide me with the follwoing information regarding the BCM in my 1989 Sedan DeVille:

- Where would the best place be to purchase one? I would rather not go to the dealer, but I have called most of the auto parts stores in my area and none seem to carry it. If someone purchased one, where did you get it from. I have also checked all of the junkyards here as well.. none have one from an '89... they just have ones from years '90, '91 and '92. I asked if they cross-referenced .. but they could not tell me.

- Where is the BCM located (I believe it is behind the glove box) and what does it look like? I found 4 computer-type boxes in this vicinity... one of which has to be the BCM... but I cannot tell just by visual examination:

Box 1 - Long thin metal box (almost square) which has only one connector on it (with multiple wires). The plastic part of the connector says "RED" on it.

Box 2 - Long thin rectangular metal box with two connectors on it. Each connector has multiple wires attached to it. On the top of the box is what appears to be a hatch of some sort (looks like to alllow you to get at a memory module). I think this is the BCM... but I am not sure. I also believe at least one of the connectors (if not both) were puple in color... but I could be mistaken on this.

Box 3 - small black box that looks like a relay box... has 4-5 separate connectors for individual wires. Attached with a clip to another plastic piece and is located very close to the vacuum hoses used for the air deflectors. I think this may be related to the A/C circutry. My Service A/C Soon light always comes on...

Box 4 - Again another long thin metal rectangular box that has 6-8 connectors on it with each connector having multiple wires attached. This box is located on the Pass side wall... I believe this is the ECM module.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
TIA
And the answer is :drum roll: Box #2. Assuming 89 and 90 are the same, the BCM is mounted flat across the back of the fire wall to the upper right behind the glove box and has 2 purple connectors on the right side with LOTS of wires. On my 1990 I had to move a piece of the airbag wiring and the associated bracket to get to it, but I believe 89 is a non-airbag car, so you can skip that step. In that case its pretty much an unbolt and remove job, although I disconnected the battery ground just to make sure nothing got zapped. I got mine from junkyards, but you might also try eBay. There should be a label with the part number on the top, you can use that to compare with potential replacements for compatibility. I swapped a unit from a 92 into my 90 and it worked fine other than throwing a false F15 code (which was undefined for 1990). I did have an AC problem with the BCM detecting a false overheat condition and posting an F49 code and shutting the compressor down.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
I need to replace the BCM in my '89 Deville. I've taken apart the glove box and I can see the BCM far back but do not know how to access it. Do I go from the engine bay or from underneath, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.
If 89 is non-airbag you should remove the 10 mm nuts holding it in and slide it toward you through the glove box. There may be another module that needs to be relocated temporarily (it was the airbag DERM and its mounting bracket on my 90) but other than that I don't recall any obstructions - and I did mine at least 4 times.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
If 89 is non-airbag you should remove the 10 mm nuts holding it in and slide it toward you through the glove box. There may be another module that needs to be relocated temporarily (it was the airbag DERM and its mounting bracket on my 90) but other than that I don't recall any obstructions - and I did mine at least 4 times.
Just wanted to say thanks. A "new" prom into my existing BCM did the trick.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts