Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My non-nav, single cd 2003 DIC screen did not come on this morning. Completly blank, no power to anything above the climate control. The button lights do not even light up. Hazard button is still functional and lit. I have tried every relevant fuse I could think of in the front, they all look good, tried the audio fuse in the back that was good also. Tried pulling the securty fuse as I've had good luck resetting gremlins this way in the past, that didn't work either.

Am I missing something stupid, is there a specific fuse I should recheck. I've had some issues with my shift mechnism and have been under the shift boot to release the ignition but I don't believe this has anything to do with this problem. I'm getting annoyed by all these little problems and not having a radio makes it even worse!

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Get a multimeter and see if there is power going to the radio.

If you are absolutely sure that every fuse is intact, pull the radio out and check the 10A fuse on the backside of the unit.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you suggest probing for power to the radio? Also would this 10A fuse in the radio cause all the other functions of the DIC and button lighting to not function? It seems like it has to be a fuse somewhere, was hoping someone had this happen and knew of the specific fuse. Let me know if you still think this would be the one. Whats the best way to get the radio out? With all these little problems I'm running into a nice manual would be worth it at this point. Where is the best place to get a good factory manual for these things? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it and let everything reboot before you start tearing your car to pieces chasing a gremlin.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Did you check the fuse boxes in under the back seat? I do not have access to my service manual at the moment for the correct fuse. I think that the fuse in the back of the radio is for the power in of the entire DIC/Radio. If you want to spend a little money ($135) get the Helm's service manual http://www.helminc.com/. The manual is a little confusing if your not familiar with service manuals and there are a lot of steps which require you to connect the "Tech II" scan diagnostic tool up to troubleshoot the problem. Mine has paid for itself time and time again, saving me a lot of $$ by not taking it into the shop for all the problems that turn out to be very simple to fix. If the problem persists, I’ll be glad to help as much as I can.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked the audio fuse in the back drivers side. I am going to try and disconnect the battery for a while. Its sounding like this in dash fuse, if it does in fact protect the entire DIC/radio unit, though. The Helm isn't priced that bad and would pay for itself in one visit but it sounds like you need a scan tool. My car has the function to view codes, not that it would do me any good right now, but would this be sufficient to be effective with the Helm manual or do you need other functions of the Tech II or whatever. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Check the 10 amp audio fuse located in the left rear fuse box (Fuse box behind the driver's side). I would suspect that to be the problem.

If you want to test power in a multimeter would be best but a simple light tester will do. Ground the tester to the frame of the car and probe pin 7 (red/white wire) of the bottom connector (mine is a grey connector). Pin 8 (black) is the ground and pin 2 (purple) is the remote wire. This all depends on what style radio you have.

You don't need the Tech II ($3000), using the DIC to check for the codes is what I do (hold F1 adn F6 with the key in aux. position for about 5 sec.) I then can look the codes up online. But in your case - No DIC, it's kind of useless isn't it. Like I said before the manual has paid for it's self many times over for me.

Hope this fixes your problem

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Sorry I guess I should have read your first sentence about checking the audio fuse. That fuse is basically it besides the fuse in the radio itself. I would check to see if you have power to the radio next. PM me if your are still having problems.

Good luck Crh61483

1 - 8 of 8 Posts