Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am a new Caddy CTS owner, 1st Caddy for me and I love it! 5 Speed 3.2, sport suspension pack, 2003....

Have the "Stability System Engaged" issue, which the dealer has been very good about troubleshooting, next week they are replacing the Power Control Module....hopefully that cures it, it was directed by Cadillac Tech Center in CA....I told them about this forum and that some folks here changed the Steering Wheel Posit Sensor and that seems to work, but they preferred to follow the Tech Center's direction...

Anyway...10 days ago on a business trip, my boss put a giant water bottle under the passenger seat and I think forgot about it...during the day of driving around for sales calls, the bottle emptied out into the rear right passenger floor....I didn't find it until the next AM when I went to fill up and remove the trash...the floor mat was literally soaked, it drained at least a pint of H2O....I drove home with some hotel towels soaking up water, then went to a gas station for the big vaccuum, which seemewd to work....after a few mintues of a hair dryer, sitting in the sun, the carpet seemed dryer and all would be OK...but the next day, it seemed that there was even MORE water there! when I step or press on the floor I can hear the water squishing around in the padding and soundproofing....it even leaks from the bottom of the car between some seams....today i purchased a small hand pump and was able to suck out over a 1/2 gallon of water!

My question is, could this be a result of the AC condenser? Is it possible that the water that typically drips off the AC system on the ground is somehow draining into the rear floor?

I thought the water bottle was only a 2 liter, it may have been a 3 liter, but that was 10 days ago, and the water seems to continue to accumulate...

any comments or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts
Wow, thats crazy. I had an accident when a laundry detergent bottle opened up on the rear floor board and sat like that for a whole nite! The next day after noticing i actually had to add water to the floor and Wet/dry vac out the area. I had to repeat that process 3 or 4 times and it all came up and the residual water dryed within a day or so. The fact you are still finding water days after the event is a scary prospect!

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Hello there and :welcome5: to the forum! Congrats on the new Caddy. As for the water, yes it is possible for the a/c condensate to collect in the car's cabin, but it would seem odd if collecting in the rear. That sounds like a LOT of water, though. Is the front passenger carpeting wet? It's possible that you have another type of leak; do you have a sunroof or no? If the car has warranty you might consider letting the dealer troubleshoot possible leaks or take the car to a high pressure wash and see what develops. Hopefully is is just the goofball's bottled water and the issue will be resolved when that finally dries. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Have the "Stability System Engaged" issue, which the dealer has been very good about troubleshooting, next week they are replacing the Power Control Module....hopefully that cures it, it was directed by Cadillac Tech Center in CA....I told them about this forum and that some folks here changed the Steering Wheel Posit Sensor and that seems to work, but they preferred to follow the Tech Center's direction...
good luck with that. its the steering position sensor.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Hello to the Group...1st question...updated...

Well, the floor is nice and dry, they only charged $100, which I can expense as well, so I'm happy with that...

But they replaced the Power Control Module (as per directions from the Cadillac Tech Center in California?) and it did not fix the "Stability Sys Engaged" issue...as many here said would not happen...

They are calling the Tech Center today for the next step...they have been GREAT at taking care of this under a 90 day warranty, since I just bought it from them and the car's service history had this listed as a problem when the previous owner traded it in, back in June...

Is there anyway I can "help" convince them to change the Steering Wheel sensor? Or do I have to keep having parts changed out until it's practially new, which is not a bad thing either?

Thanks,

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Re: Hello to the Group...1st question...updated...

Well, the floor is nice and dry, they only charged $100, which I can expense as well, so I'm happy with that...

But they replaced the Power Control Module (as per directions from the Cadillac Tech Center in California?) and it did not fix the "Stability Sys Engaged" issue...as many here said would not happen...

They are calling the Tech Center today for the next step...they have been GREAT at taking care of this under a 90 day warranty, since I just bought it from them and the car's service history had this listed as a problem when the previous owner traded it in, back in June...

Is there anyway I can "help" convince them to change the Steering Wheel sensor? Or do I have to keep having parts changed out until it's practially new, which is not a bad thing either?

Thanks,
I'm with Urby. Steering wheel sensor. Already done that.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts
Just wanted to add that I had the service stability system recently with my 03 as well and I was ready to say for sure it was the steering wheel sensor after reading everything here. Took it up to Lindsay Cadillac to get looked at and they determined it was something else, something to do with a speed sensor or something that only needed to be wired back up or together or something like that. Pretty cheap for a dealership repair ($200) and it fixed the problem so I didn't really inquire exactly what it was since the service department was closed when I picked it up.

Just wanted to add that I wanted to jump to a solution of steering wheel sensor and I would have been wrong.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, the Tech Center has advised to replace the electronic Brake Control Module...I must admit, they are really good about this, and I am very patient with them, when the Stab Sys Engaged alert does appear, its like a ghost is tapping the brakes as well...sometimes its VERY noticeable and even pulls the car a bit...I'll let you know what happens....

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Dude! You found a holy water well!

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well...it wasnt the Electronic Brake Control Module...but I have a new one of those now....

they are back to square one now...

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HOLD THE PHONE!

I still have my own personal water maker in the Passenger Rear Right floor...

I pulled another quart of water out today!

HELP...I'm sinking in my new Caddy....

I love the car, but this has got to get fixed...

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
What’s with the CTS and SWPS and water in the cabin? I’ve have the exact same issue right now. I pulled the seats and carpet out 2 days ago (Only have my driver’s seat in so I can get to work). Found that there was about a ½ inch of standing water in the back, both driver and passenger sides. The carpet sure can soak up a lot of water also. Vacuumed about 1 gallon out of it. Anyway, I noticed water forming by the AC vent line to the back. After work today, I’m going to check to see if the AC condenser drain off line is plugged.

My Stability system problem is a whole new ball of joy. Took it into the dealer not once but twice with them not finding any problems. I told them to check out the Steering wheel position sensor, (of course they wouldn’t take what I said into consideration) Needless to say, I’m NOT going back to that dealer for service. I let it go for a while so I could pinpoint when the Stability system is triggered, I’m finally to the point where I know where the problem is. I’m just procrastinating on taking it in.

BTW, I’ve completed (using the word completed sparingly) my radio mod. Something similar to what Mbia2 did for the “Carputer” (250G HD, 7” TFT monitor, DVD player). OK not completed but rather installed, I mean a computer is never really completed. I gotta say it’s awesome.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crazy stuff huh?
The tech that finally changed the SWPS told me they use a GM technical website forum to see what others have done to correct the issue. Additionally there seems to be some Cadillac Technical Resource Center in California which they take instruction from as well...

they changed the following on mine:
RT rear Hub Bearing
Power Control Module
Electroinc Brake Control Module

finally SWPS....

POOF! Fixed...

took 3 trips....

I told them what I found here, they said they cant shotgun part swapping, they had to go through the TS guides...

In thier defense, they were very nice, helpful and quick...and others on this thread have had other remodies as well....

the water thing is really got me thinking about dumping this car though, and I've had it a month...nearly every car I've owned had a sun roof or T-Tops if you recall those days...no leaks....I like the "intentional leak with a dedicated drain" but if the drain fails, it's U-boat time!

I've owned the CTS for 1 month, I really like it, 4 doors, 5 speed and the sport tuned suspension so it feels like a 2 seat sports car with the room of a 4 door....

the service guys said something about the drains were not even laid out correctly, so perhaps all will be well....

if not, since my little loan amount is less than blue book, it might be ripe for swapping....

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My service guys at Crest Cadillac in Syracuse have been great!

I bought the car 1 month ago, literallly puchased it on Firday the 13th...which probably explains A LOT...:eek:

but they have been good, and the ONLY thing I've paid for so far is an extra key and keyfob...

But the fall rainy season is coming, and I dont want to have to keep checking UNDER the rear carpets....there's A LOT of foam and padding under there and it holds water link a two hump camel...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts