Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so its not that far from tampa... but man this town only manages to scare me more everytime i come here. I came on Amtrak (terrific again btw) to pick up a range rover (review forthcoming) and got here after the dealership closed so i found the most reasonble hotel i could in the area. The first strike was the monopolistic hotel takeover i encountered looking for a cheap but safe place to stay. Unfortunately the suburban lodges, which showed on Hotels.com as 39.00 were all converted to Intown suites which refuse to do nightly fares, only weekly 219 rates. Seems like a shitty way to do business but w/e.

So i ended up at this 49.00 infernal shithole called the King's Inn. Let me tell you, ive been scared for my life but this might come close. 49.00 gets you a full on suite in Tampa btw... ooohh no sir not here. You have to pay 5 bucks just to RENT the in room phone... or you can pay 50 cents in the lobby.Why would i WANT the in room phone you ask? Well because dominos in their own shitty corporate policy, wont take your order from anything but the roomphone. Fine, i called papa johns instead. Then, my door doesnt close right because OF COURSE, it was kicked IN at some point! I wont even get started on the unsavory guests, the a/c-less lobby,the blurry as shit TV, lack if internet access etc etc etc...

So make me feel better, post your travel horror stories!

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
I thought this thread was about a tape you found of a dude killing a chick while having sex. Ever seen 8MM with Cage? Great movie.

Jacksonville is a scary place. I was up there awhile back. I was sitting in my car in a parking lot and was approached by a hooker. She said she knew me and then proceeded to ask if i "needed" anything. I said i was from Orlando and had never been to Jacksonville. She then asked me if i knew her sister that lived in Winter Park. Right about that time a cop rolled by and she left.

Yep, Jacksonville.

Oh and LOL at the link in your sig. Kitty is chillin!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL... on that note... I think my favorite part was the sign at the front desk that said "NO REFUNDS AFTER 15 MINUTES!!!".

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Wow, I have never stopped in Jacksonville, only driven by it on I-95 or the bypass.

My girl and I were considering applying for one of the 11 spots they have at the Mayo Clinic there. I guess we better go check the city out before we sign up for 4 years there....

So.. what kind of Range Rover was it? Lemme guess, 4.6 HSE?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
I stayed one night in the Mush Inn Motel in Anchorage, Alaska. About midnight there was a gunfight right outside the door. Pop! Pop! Pop! Cops never showed up for that. There was continuous traffic to a unit about 200 feet farther down. The street pharmacy business must have been good. Towards morning a couple of guys with Uzi's aired out another drug dealers crib across the way and the meat wagon hauled them away. Cops showed up for that one. If all that wasn't enough when I turned on the light in the can there must have been 5000 roaches. Enough is enough so we moved on. I found a spent bullet in the parking lot where the first gunfight had been and it was one of the special aluminum projectles that were developed for the Air Marshals for use on airplanes. I guess an Air Marshall must have had a part-time job. Just another night in the big city.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Ordinarily your best strategy would be to sleep in the bath tub but nowdays they're either plastic or so thin they won't stop a bullet. By the way, did you check for bedbugs?

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Well I've been in some pretty seedy places; the most recent one that spings to mind was a place my dad and I stayed in on some CAP business; we needed to pull radios and other equipment from a truck that was immoblie and going to be scrapped, so we had to go to it and stay overnight. The motel had a TV with a mis-converged picture tube, a bathroom with a yellow flourescent light tube and one of those awful needle showers that make you wish you were dead. It also smelled funny. Down the hall was a group of about a dozen guys in two rooms drinking like fishes and smoking cigars. I made an ice run later on and the smell had changed from cigars to something else ;) At least it had no plastic cover on the mattress, only the worst places put those on.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I really loved your '93. The Seville wheels were great, but some '00+ DTS Slicers would have been nuts.
The turbines that Stoney has on Gladys?

I like them alot on his car... but I dunno, on my Coupe the SLS wheels seemed to go well.

Right before it was stolen, with the new tires I had the pencil-line white wall on it... looked different, that was for sure... still it was a toss up between the look... it kinda got in the way of the clean look between the wheels and the car tho...

Sadly, when I reformatted my HDD, I saved everything to a bunch of DVD's.... all files can be read EXCEPT for all photos... everything I have is lost... I dunno, I gotta find out how to restore them cause that would be bad.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
:( I really miss that car... its been just over a year.. and I still think about it.. I really didn't think I would...

I dunno, when it was stolen, it's like a large chunk of my passion for cars has been stolen... as much as I've tried, I just don't connect with cars the same as it used to be... there is almost no connection to the Town Car... then again there is really no connection to the Isuzu or Fleetwood either... don't get me wrong, I like them each for what they are... but... its like the soul of my passion for cars is gone when the Coupe was stolen.... its been like that since... I've really tried to fight it, but I dunno.

Everytime I see that picture of my Coupe, its sooo fresh in my mind, like I just saw my car yesterday... but its gone, its been over a year.... thats MY car, that was my first car, and I was never going to sell it. Had I still had it now, it would already be getting a new quality paint job from the fading clear coat.... I had the car for 3yrs/40k miles.. which, now dosn't seem like much (atleast the miles, with the way I've been racking them up on the Lincoln) but I serisouly put soo much time, effort and just myself into that car, its crazy....

When it was stolen and people said its probably repainted and could be parked down the street and I'd never know... I said theres a hundred ways I know that car is mine no matter what the color.... and I still know nearly everything that made that car mine.

1 of 119... what are the chances eh? The way I stumbled by that thing was a miracle in itself...

What bothers me the most is that, when I went to NY last July for that 1 week, both Aimee's mom, and dad, who own their own homes insisted that I keep the car by them and not at my apartment.... stupid me didn't want the car to stay at either house cause I figured something could happen to it, her moms house is in a part of the neighborhood where kids ride their bikes, I was thinking a kid may fall into it with their bike and scratch it, or if it was at her dads place, they have lots of trees in their back yard and the car would be covered in leaves and stuff....

Who would have ever thought tho... I'd take my car with a scratched door or covered in leaves any day now :(

ahhh gosh....

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Damn Rick, that makes me sad, honestly. I dont know what id do with myself the Sage Sled was stolen or wrecked. You have horrible luck, what with the '93 and '79. Things will only get better.

Talk about a thread jack!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts