Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6DI (Sold 176k mi) 2015 ESV Luxury Premium
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CTS owners, I am been lurking here on the forums for the past two weeks and reading up on this wondeful looking car.

A little background on myself, I am a pretty big GM nut, my family is predominatly big 3 owners our in entire life. I myselfy have owned nothing but GM and have been happy, however they all had their shortcomings, especially the older ones.

But now I am in need of a new car, a more well rounded car now that I am a little older. And now matter what I look at, I keep coming back to the CTS but in my area it seems to be only 2008's if it in my price range, and 2009's all seem too have AWD which I do not want despite living in northern Illinois. I also don't want more then 50k mi and want Nav and Xenon's (why buy a luxury car and not have the lux features?).

So this leaves me at the 2008's and 2009's. Which I am ok with. I am very mechanically inclined, I have done pretty major repairs on and kept 2 out of 3 cars i have owned running all the way to 170k+. So I'm not two worried about replacing a Timing Chain and cleaning some valve gunk.

So I want to ask something from all of you, the owners, especially the 2008's, how has your CTS held materials-wise. My 97's cavaliers absolute rattleboxes, my 93 blazer had a riduclous squeak. My 2000 Corvette was pretty damn solid but had a tiny squeak every once in awhile and only had 3 issues in the 4 years and 30k mi's I owned it.

But it seems around mid-2000's GM turned around, because my sisters 06 H3 has 101k mi and has runs and drives new, not a single squeak or rattle, same with a 09 G6 GXP we have in the family with 56k mi. I know that with any car, the number of people that are happy are usually more silent the the ones that are not. Which is what any car forum like. So I really consider (hoping) the problems that are vocalized on the forum represent 10% of the actual car experience.

I read about the rear deck rattle and fix for that, I will be prepared for it. I just want to know how many of you have are HAPPY with the interior noise of your CTS? I test drove a few Acura TL's and i was very disappointed with how loud they are, they are not any quieter then the Accord counter-part (gf has a V6 accord). While a friend's 2008 Malibu i drove was very nicely quiet. I would hope a Cadillac can meet or beat those expectations.

Last question, I can spot the differences between the FE3 suspension (which I want and found one I'll be test driving tomorrow) and the other suspensions due to the polished 18's but how can you tell the difference between the 17's and 18's with the Fe1 and FE2? i searched but they looked the same and it Is hard to tell from pictures a 1" difference.

Before anyone says just go test drive, I am tomorrow, two of them. One with FE3 and one with FE1 (no Xenon's). The FE3 is a smidge out of my price range but is fully loaded and I'll see if I can get creative cause it's also the right color.

But a test drive won't tell me what a car is like a year or 40k mi's from now. So if you can help this guy out and give me some insight, it would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
OMG said:
Hello CTS owners, I am been lurking here on the forums for the past two weeks and reading up on this wondeful looking car.

A little background on myself, I am a pretty big GM nut, my family is predominatly big 3 owners our in entire life. I myselfy have owned nothing but GM and have been happy, however they all had their shortcomings, especially the older ones.

But now I am in need of a new car, a more well rounded car now that I am a little older. And now matter what I look at, I keep coming back to the CTS but in my area it seems to be only 2008's if it in my price range, and 2009's all seem too have AWD which I do not want despite living in northern Illinois. I also don't want more then 50k mi and want Nav and Xenon's (why buy a luxury car and not have the lux features?).

So this leaves me at the 2008's and 2009's. Which I am ok with. I am very mechanically inclined, I have done pretty major repairs on and kept 2 out of 3 cars i have owned running all the way to 170k+. So I'm not two worried about replacing a Timing Chain and cleaning some valve gunk.

So I want to ask something from all of you, the owners, especially the 2008's, how has your CTS held materials-wise. My 97's cavaliers absolute rattleboxes, my 93 blazer had a riduclous squeak. My 2000 Corvette was pretty damn solid but had a tiny squeak every once in awhile and only had 3 issues in the 4 years and 30k mi's I owned it.

But it seems around mid-2000's GM turned around, because my sisters 06 H3 has 101k mi and has runs and drives new, not a single squeak or rattle, same with a 09 G6 GXP we have in the family with 56k mi. I know that with any car, the number of people that are happy are usually more silent the the ones that are not. Which is what any car forum like. So I really consider (hoping) the problems that are vocalized on the forum represent 10% of the actual car experience.

I read about the rear deck rattle and fix for that, I will be prepared for it. I just want to know how many of you have are HAPPY with the interior noise of your CTS? I test drove a few Acura TL's and i was very disappointed with how loud they are, they are not any quieter then the Accord counter-part (gf has a V6 accord). While a friend's 2008 Malibu i drove was very nicely quiet. I would hope a Cadillac can meet or beat those expectations.

Last question, I can spot the differences between the FE3 suspension (which I want and found one I'll be test driving tomorrow) and the other suspensions due to the polished 18's but how can you tell the difference between the 17's and 18's with the Fe1 and FE2? i searched but they looked the same and it Is hard to tell from pictures a 1" difference.

Before anyone says just go test drive, I am tomorrow, two of them. One with FE3 and one with FE1 (no Xenon's). The FE3 is a smidge out of my price range but is fully loaded and I'll see if I can get creative cause it's also the right color.

But a test drive won't tell me what a car is like a year or 40k mi's from now. So if you can help this guy out and give me some insight, it would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
I don't know about the sedans but the coupes come standard with the FE2 AND 18" wheels and sport package gets you the FE3 and 19" wheels.

Not sure if the same logic applies to the sedans.

In other words.

17" = FE1
18" = FE2
19" = FE3

·
Registered
Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4
109 Posts
I have a 2009 with 97k miles which isn't really any different that an '08 and I am very please with the interior and noise. BTW just out of curiosity, why no interest in AWD especially where you live? I have it and it is great in the snow.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Welcome!

Keep in mind that the CTS has REAR WHEEL DRIVE! CTS4 is AWD. Driving in snow could be an adventure if you're not ready and experienced in RWD snow mobiles:tisk:. I see a mix of RWD and FWD cars, so I guess you know what's happening.

Good luck, Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
I loved RWD in the snow as I used to live in northern Ohio.

BTW, I love my 2010 wagon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2009 with 97k miles which isn't really any different that an '08 and I am very please with the interior and noise. BTW just out of curiosity, why no interest in AWD especially where you live? I have it and it is great in the snow.
my first car was the Corvette and I drove two winters befor my sister gave me her V6 mustang which was more managable, as others have pointed out tires are important. Also i want to maximize mielage since I have quiet a bit of commute. And I miss RWD sorely.

Welcome!

Keep in mind that the CTS has REAR WHEEL DRIVE! CTS4 is AWD. Driving in snow could be an adventure if you're not ready and experienced in RWD snow mobiles:tisk:. I see a mix of RWD and FWD cars, so I guess you know what's happening.

Good luck, Marv
I loved RWD in the snow as I used to live in northern Ohio.

BTW, I love my 2010 wagon.
thanks for the welcome guys!

----------

I don't know about the sedans but the coupes come standard with the FE2 AND 18" wheels and sport package gets you the FE3 and 19" wheels.

Not sure if the same logic applies to the sedans.

In other words.

17" = FE1
18" = FE2
19" = FE3
i believe that only applies to the 2010's and up when the 19's became available. I know on the 08' and 09's FE3 was polished 18's.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
I've had my '08 for about 1 year and have put about 23K miles on it. The car now has about 56K on in total. I have no noises or rattles, the inside is very quiet. The only time I hear any noise is when driving in a strong cross wind. In that case, I get a little wind noise at the top of the down wind front door. Even tire noise is pretty minimal. I have heard people complain of noises from the sun roof, but I don't have one, so I have no issues.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
I know on the 08' and 09's FE3 was polished 18's.
As I recall

FE1 ... 17" painted std ... 17" machined-finish and 18" polished optional
FE2 ... 18" painted std ... 18" polished optional
FE3 ... 18" painted std ... 18" polished optional

polls conducted on this message board indicated FE2 suspension and 18" polished wheels were most popular choices for 2008-09 CTS.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
OMG,

If in doubt about the suspension on your test drive vehicles, look at the bottom side of the spare tire cover in the trunk. There should be a label adhered to it with all of the build info.

Enjoy, Marv

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Welcome,

My 08 AWD had 40k on it when I bought it about a 1 1/2 years ago now it has 110K ( I have a long commute). My CTS has the luxury packages that I truly enjoy. My previous CTS was an 05 base model. I have had problems with wind noise and leaks from the sunroof. I have vibrations that come and go depending where the moon is lol. I use a 1/2 quart of oil every other week but again I have a long commute and a lead foot. I have the rear deck vibration that I will fix this spring. I have a clunking coming from the right rear when I hit a bump (fixable) that too this year. Given these quirks I love the car. Its a blast to drive, its an attention getter, and an awesome commuter car. I feel very safe in it and it goes like a bugger. The previous owner did the timing chain repair so that is a concern. Some use oil, others not so bad. I will be getting the RX can because like many of these engines the oil will pond and droplets will get sucked in to the intake and build up on your plugs, valves and heads. Take your time, do your homework and enjoy the ride. Best of luck. Oh ya the sport model has better looking wheels than the luxury model, bigger brakes but I like my options more.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
36 Posts
I bought my 2009 3.6DI AWD about two months ago. I bought the 09 because it has a few more items that I wanted over the 08. I wanted the AWD for the peace of mind when the wife drives it and I am a spirited mountain driver. Lol The car has the performance package and all the upgrades except for nav, handles and rides like a dream. No leaks and no rattles, just replaced the michelin tires with toyo prox 4 plus. The new tires made the vehicle even quieter and smoother, michelins had about half life left but one of them had a sidewall blow out and the others were looking rough from northern weather exposure. Mine still had the warranty, so I it to the dealer and had it looked over and she was good to go. Have to say, I like my car and the hour long commute one way is pretty pleasant.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the Clarification on the wheels 928S. Marv, thanks for the for the trunk tip. It's definitly a nice feature of the modern GM's. The CBSS i'm conisdering is also located in the same place. =D also the dealer despite being a Ford dealer, seems to know what they have. They have all the RPO codes listed accordingly to the options listed. What I find odd though was it had the Lux 1 and 2 packages and the performance package. I thought you couldn't have all 3?

The owner decked it out even with a the facotry spare option.

·
Registered
09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere
404 Posts
As I remember, 2008 and 2009 CTSs which have the FE3 suspension came with summer tires and 18" wheels. The FE2 (18" wheels) and FE1 (17" wheels) are four season tires. I think the FE3 also has a rear pneumatic suspension. Moreover, CTSs equipped with the FE3 suspension were only RWD. I have a base 09 CTS, RWD. I have the FE1 suspension with 17" wheels. I'm also pretty happy with the car. 51k miles and mine does not consume oil. Had few minor issues that were all taken care by my dealer while the car was on warranty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Goos call, on the RWD I forgot the 08 and 09 performance only is RWD and a LSD 3.45 rear which the dealer ad mentions. The tires are not original but Continental DWS which conviently is my favvorite AS tire.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
A minor detail that might be a concern for you. The early to mid year 2008's did not have Bluetooth. Only late 2008's had it and as far as I know, all 2009 had it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A minor detail that might be a concern for you. The early to mid year 2008's did not have Bluetooth. Only late 2008's had it and as far as I know, all 2009 had it.
Thanks, yes I was aware that only the ones built after April of 08 had the BT and although this is a feature I want it appears from the BT add DIY thread it is not a big deal for me to add later. I'd rather forgo that to have the FE3 and Xenon lights. This car is 90% of what I want but only a few k over what I want to spend whereas all the others are closer to 4-6k more then I can spend, has the right color on the outside I can live with the wood trim and beige interior (I'm 26 and would love a black interior.)

I'm also looking at another blue CTS that is in my price range but sadly does not have Xenon's. =( But has the Nav I want.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Ahh, yes, life is a matter of choices. And I, too, would take the FE3 and Xenon over BT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So went to see the car today. Sadly they wouldn't budge more then $200 off their asking price. The car was a in ok condition externally, had the taillight into trunk leak, a few nick's that would have to be fixed. But in the end they wouldn't budge and I simply couldn't afford it. =( So the hunt continues.

·
Registered
14,161 Posts
Leave your contact info with them and tell them to call you when they want to sell the car. Don't be a jerk, just be a businessman about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leave your contact info with them and tell them to call you when they want to sell the car. Don't be a jerk, just be a businessman about it.
I did. I was polite the entire time, he was a bit condescending to me lecturing I didn't understand about monthly payments and interest rates (I'm a Chemist, was 10 when I help my parents negotiate the our first car in america, 12 for our second car, 14, 16 for others 18 for my own, and 17 when I helped my parents purchase their first home mortage. I think I can handle simple interest problems). But I didn't say anything, just let him talk, but stood firm on my requirements and although I budged up with once with my monthly payments and once my down payment, I was willing to move more, because I wasn't at my limit yet, but with my two offers, he wouldn't make an offer and went to his manager once after I showed him another comparably equipped model listed for $3k less (it had the FE2 w/o HID's instead of the FE3). I wasn't asking him to drop $3k off his price but if he could do something to meet in the middle. That's when he went to his manager, whom dropped the price by $200. At this point it was late and he was no longer into the deal. So I let it go for now. He has my information and I'll shoot him an email about the whole ordeal saturday if he still has it.

I will say this. I am in love with the car. Black is what I want on it along with RWD and FE3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts