Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: I never dreamed I would be saying "Hello" at a Cadillac forum but here I am, a new owner of a diamond white CTS 3.6L. I thought I would introduce myself.

I have been a sports car nut all my life and have owned many. I currently own a 2001 Honda S2000 and a 1959 MGA. I was looking for a family travel car. I considered and tested numerous cars including Audi, BMW, Ford (Mustang), Honda, Infinity, Lexus, Saab, and Toyota. While at the local Nissan dealer I tested a CTS just for the heck of it. Good interior room, comfortable ride, surprisingly good handling and it doesn’t have the ‘cookie cutter’ look of everything else out there. A day later it was in my garage. This is my first American car in 35 years!

Checking out this site has brought me lots of good info already. I am very encouraged by the general impression that people love their CTS and are finding them reliable. Aside from the small items (wishing the trunk lid popped up on its own, etc.), the only complaints I read on this site that got a lot of interest involved whine noise from the engine and rear axle. Hopefully, most have found a solution by now. I learned there is a lot of confusion over what fuel to use - regular or premium. Mostly it comes from posters not realizing they are talking about different engines (3.2 vs 3.6) and different owners manuals. As for mine, premium is recommended but regular is ok. It’s nice to have 255 hp at hand that will run on regular.

One observation on the site. I do not like the underlined links throughout the threads - these intrusive ads drive me nuts but I find if I click on printed view I can read the responses without those.

I hope the CTS lives up to my expectations. I am pleasantly surprised how many younger drivers are attracted to the car. I would have preferred the CTS-V but this is a compromise car since my wife has a back condition (thrown off a horse) and the CTS with standard suspension will work best for us. Besides, I get my hot shoe thrills taking the S2000 to the track and will let this car fulfill my daily driver duties.

In my first week of ownership my biggest gripe is the daunting task of programming dozens of confusing options in the DIC. Maybe it’s just me but frankly I think the owner’s manual sucks - I have found clearer instructions in purchases from China. They did make this car in Lansing, Michigan didn’t they? :) Oh, and I am not too thrilled to learn it has a ‘black box’ that records the speed of the car in the event of an accident. Such is life with all the high tech crap, let me get on with enjoying the car and the posts.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
wow great post and welcome to our humble (or not so humble) family. hopefully the cts brings you as much fun as it does for us. watch out for the "modding" bug...once you start you can't stop.

i'll have to agree with you about the seats and comfort. almost 85% of the cars i drive/sit shotgun in begin to hurt my back. the cts however, is a perfect fit. passengers i have usually comment on how comfortable the car and ride is.

well, it look like you've gone plenty of research, so i'm glad you decided to go with cadillac. and yes, i believe lansing is home.

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. You can remove those underlined words. Click on it and go to What's This. A window will appear and scroll down to the bottom and click disable. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Welcome to our forum, I think you'll find that this every day ride can turn out to be more then that for you . I initially just enjoyed the luxury of it, but as I read more from the other members, I found myself compelled to try some of the mods for myself. Your wife having a bad back probably would'nt enjoy any mods to the suspension, but some of the performance and apperance mods are nice touches to individualize your ride and squeak a little extre edge out of it as well. Looking forward to hearing more imput from you as we encourage all to do. Again Welcome!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
05CTS said:
:welcome: to the forum. You can remove those underlined words. Click on it and go to What's This. A window will appear and scroll down to the bottom and click disable. Enjoy your new ride.
A big THANK YOU, it works and I can now read the posts 'in peace'. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome. Mods are cool with me and we all know the 'sponsors' love 'em.

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Welcome to the group, I'm also a sports car type person :)

See below..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TripleOught said:
and yes, i believe lansing is home.
So it is. Strangely enough I received a call today from a long time friend who races a vintage MGA. We were chatting and I mentioned my new car. He said he thought he could schedule me a personal tour of the plant. How cool would that be! I've been through the Viper assembly plant and found very interesting but I don't own a Viper. Owning the CTS and seeing them built would be extra cool.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :)

If you get the chance, could you post a pic of the CTS and the S2000 side by side? I have a special someone who really likes S2000s, and well, I love the CTS :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jon said:
Welcome to the forum!! :)

If you get the chance, could you post a pic of the CTS and the S2000 side by side? I have a special someone who really likes S2000s, and well, I love the CTS :D
I am still learning my way around the board - do you have to pay dues to post photos? I see the insert symbol above but it's not clear how you upload a photo.

BTW, let me ask a car question as well. Is the cruise control operation limited to the steering wheel lever? I was thinking / hoping one of the 4-small buttons on the wheel would be or could be an on / off switch.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
S2000 driver said:
I am still learning my way around the board - do you have to pay dues to post photos? I see the insert symbol above but it's not clear how you upload a photo.

BTW, let me ask a car question as well. Is the cruise control operation limited to the steering wheel lever? I was thinking / hoping one of the 4-small buttons on the wheel would be or could be an on / off switch.
No you don't have to pay :)

And yes, it can only be done from the turn signal thingy.

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Sorry about the snow S2Kdriver.. My 94 is getting ready to be rebuilt starting Saturday. So I'll be with out it prolly the whole month of Dec. I sure love the looks of those MGA's, funny enough I race with a guy that has a early MGB. I think he wears more oil from that thing then it uses :)

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Jon said:
No you don't have to pay :)

And yes, it can only be done from the turn signal thingy.
So that must be different on the Euro version too then. I got a button on the lower spoke of the steering wheel to turn it on/off and another button next to it to with +/-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paw, the British didn't realize oil was a liquid when they were designing the MG motor until it was too late. :rolleyes:

Sounds like I need a Euro steering wheel. I really dislike the lever only approach. Steering wheel toggels for cruise have been around for at least 15 years or more on other vehicles. I suggest GM take a good hard look at the Subaru design; it's the best I've found for ease of operation if they wish to continue to use a lever design that works well.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
70eldo said:
So that must be different on the Euro version too then. I got a button on the lower spoke of the steering wheel to turn it on/off and another button next to it to with +/-
That's 2003 :) They changed it in 2004.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Jon said:
That's 2003 :) They changed it in 2004.
Well, you would think they would only make IMPROVEMENTS to the next year model...:ill:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts