Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Hello and welcome! And I think I don't qualify either! :p

There's a lot of us out here - welcome to the club!
I am not sure he is looking exclusively for RWD Cadillac STS (2005+) owners to chat, or Cadillac Seville STS owners qualify as well? Please stay on the line until the OP clarifies! :p

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
Good point - I plead confusion on basis that there is no Seville STS in Europe - it's simply an STS + we never got a post-Seville STS (nor indeed the last of Sevilles - although mainland Europe did)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Welcome ! Original owner of 2005 STS V8 AWD 212,000 miles. Great cars. Just passed down to my teenagers as I picked up a new ATS Coupe.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
Good point - I plead confusion on basis that there is no Seville STS in Europe - it's simply an STS + we never got a post-Seville STS (nor indeed the last of Sevilles - although mainland Europe did)
Seville Seville Touring Sedan is redundant. The last Seville was built in 12/03 (driver's door sticker). The 2005 and later Sigma-body "STS" bears no resemblance to a Seville and the "STS" is alphabet soup with no meaning as an acronym.

SLS = Seville Luxury Sedan
STS = Seville Touring Sedan

Europe got some really tricky end-of-model SLS cars - active suspension, no speed limiter, maybe power folding mirrors, rear fog lights, other stuff.

What car model is your owner's manual for ? (Not trim/option level - model)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I think we're getting a bit at cross purposes here.

My point is probably best illustrated thus: this is the Seville forum, there is no such model name used in Europe (well, hasn't been for 30/40 years!) it's simply an STS (whether mainland Europe got an SLS I don't know, but I don't recall seeing any) - although, curiously, my registration document does refer to it as a Seville. Simply put, what you continue refer to as a Seville, in the UK, at least, it's simply known as an STS. None of it makes any difference, except it's something I to have in mind depending on which country I'm buying parts in.

The latest one I've ever seen for sale here is a 2001, which is probably when we stopped importing them: it was certainly before 2003!

Mine's a late '98 & has folding mirrors, so suspect they all did. Ditto no speed limiter, as top speed is always quote as 143 - & the specified tyres are Z speed rated. Rear fogs have been mandatory throughout the EU since, I think, '81 (although Germany & Sweden had regulations covering their specs. several years earlier & Austria still doesn't seem that bothered about retrofitting them to personal imports) so they all had them.

My driver's manual doesn't help: it's a N. American print!

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
Seville forum, there is no such model name used in Europe (well, hasn't been for 30/40 years!) it's simply an STS (whether mainland Europe got an SLS I don't know, but I don't recall seeing any)
...well...hmm...I don't know for GB...but in Germany -and iirc mostly/rest of Europe- the model year 1992 - 2004 Seville STS and SLS are merchandised and sold as "Seville STS"...and "Seville SLS"...even the brochures, owner manuals and vehicle registraton/car papers say "Seville"...
...my old export specs/german market 1997 Seville STS was named and sold as Seville STS... ;)
...from 2005 up the new sigma-based STS than is sold/marketed as "STS" , incl. exports... :)

·
Administrator
68,470 Posts
Even in GB, if the door sticker build date is 12/03 or earlier, the STS or SLS is a Seville. Seville died in 12/03 and the 2005 "STS" took its place.

STS and SLS were the two 90s and later Seville trim/option levels, with some option packages within each trim level. The later Sigma-body "STS" has several trim levels and option packages but the basic vehicle name is still "STS".

By the same token the 2006 and later "DTS" is not a Deville. That name died in the end of 2004 or so. Deville had 4 trim levels, each denoted by a name/acronym: Deville (base), DHS, Concours, DTS. The later "DTS" has several trim levels also, but they are all "DTS", not Devilles.

And the confusion doesn't stop there - in GB we have a member with a "2000" STS - but it was built in early 1999 and has the earlier ignition system. The date of first registration appears to become the "model year" - not the normal GM model year which, for a 2000, ran from 07/99 to 06/00.

Someone in GB must have known about Seville Touring Sedans ...........

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/cadillac-seville-sts-for-sale.html

http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/car-reviews/cadillac/seville/207401

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Sub,

While I have no doubt that you have (access to) greater knowledge of model variations, I can only speak from personal knowledge/observation.

I did say my registration document referred to it being a Seville BUT that is the only place the name appears, they are not badged, referred to or (usually) advertised* as such, but STS's - & not to distinguish from SLS as, to the best of my knowledge, there is no UK SLS, presumably because GM thought the STS spec car was more suited to the British market. It does not surprise me that mainland Europe got the choice, after all they got the Eldo as well.

Door stickers? Mine doesn't have any, whether that's just mine, or UK cars generally I couldn't say.

* perhaps not the most reliable source of information as I'm sure it's not just here that cars are advertised by people that don't really know what they've got.

I've touched on the subject of "what year is it" before because I bought mine as a '99 but it then occurred to me that as it was registered on 16 January it must've been built in '98; I was then told it was still a '99 MY car but most recently that the VIN makes it a '98 (so far, that hasn't made any difference, so clearly, the differences between @89 & '99 are minimal). It's true, we don't have model years nor any record of date of manufacture, apart from the factory's.

·
Administrator
68,470 Posts
I did say my registration document referred to it being a Seville BUT that is the only place the name appears, they are not badged, referred to or (usually) advertised as such ................
Very few of the Seville TS and LS models were badged as "Seville" here, either. No one said they were. If any of us owns a Seville built from about 1992 ??? through 12/2003 then it's badged as either a STS or SLS. The Northstar badge and trim level acronym styles changed over the model run.

Posts # 11 and 12, the GB adverts in #13, and please note the name of the thread title for your car - Seville and Eldorado.

Door ID stickers - maybe in the curve of the driver's side rear door................ and the model year is the 10th character of the VIN which also is located at the base of the windshield, driver's side or on the RPO sticker under he spare tire cover.

Information access ????? Every bit of the information posted in this thread is in this forum and site is cumulative since inception and startup in 2002.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts