Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
None
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I am new to the Cadillac forums and have been a "lurker" for about a week. Allow me to introduce myself; I am a sales manager for a software company based in the Midwest, the last GM vehicle I drove was about 6 years ago when I inherited my dad's 1995 Buick "Road Toad" wagon, the last Caddy I drove was a 1973 Sedan De Ville in college.
My current car is an E39 BMW 5 series (1998 528i with M5 body kit and Angel Eyes) which is just about to turn 200K on the clock. I put about 15K miles per year on my car for business and leisure. I am looking to replace my venerable E39 and was going to upgrade to the E60 but was turned off by some of the issues they have.
I have recently re-acquired the "bug" to buy another Cadillac and like the styling and handling of the 08-09 CTS. I am currently looking at 2008-09 CTS's in the 60-70K mileage range and am curious to know what to expect from maintenance and upkeep. I would be planning on keeping this car for about 5 years and putting about 50 to 80K miles on it.
I know these aren't Honda Accords, and I know that each luxury car has it's own quirks and weaknesses (ie, my E39 has issues with the cooling system, etc). However, if these CTS's are as fickle as the new E60 BMW's or Mercedes' that is also something I need to take into consideration.
Any help and input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium
334 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice to hear you are considering a CTS. I don't have experience with BMW ownership, but many, many co-workers and friends have Bimmers from all recent generations. I can tell you that modern-day Cadillac ownership seems less fickle than equivalent BMW ownership. There are no major issues on current-gen CTS's on the level of self-destructing HPFPs (or entire engines), and there are no $500 trips to the dealer to program a new battery. There are several members on this forum who have surpassed 100k miles on their CTS with no major issues.

The issues that do exist seem concentrated in the '08 and '09 model years. General consensus is that most issues were resolved with the '10s and above, so if you can expand your search to include '10s, I'd recommend that. Though I have an '08 and have been very happy with it. Common issues are relatively minor: squeaks and rattles, complaints about uncomfortable seats...nothing else really jumps to mind. I'm sure others will mention other common issues. There seems to be a bit of concern about oil consumption in the 3.6 engines, but it doesn't seem catastrophic and it sounds like you're the type to keep an eye on your oil level anyway.

Good luck with the search! These CTS's really shine on the freeway -- they are still very much traditional Caddies in the sense that they amazing road cars.

·
Registered
2013 CTS4 Coupe
63 Posts
Welcome!
I sure you can find lots of minor issues on this board but I think you are mainly concerned about any mechanical issures.
I bought an `08 and had the usual minor issues with the car but no major mechanical problems. I still have the car and it has around 65K on the clock.
It has been "handed down" to another family member and it is still going great. I replaced it with a `13 coupe. I loved the sdean and I'm loving the coupe more.
Both were/are preminum all wheel drive and perform great. I think you will be very happy with a CTS purchase.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
I've driven a few BMWs and I can honestly say, with the exception of one modified '95 M3 I got to drive, my CTS is better car to drive. Like others have said, the issues they have are mostly minor niggly things. Go test drive some and see if this car is right for you. Sun roof noises, rattles and leaks seem to be a common complaint, so if you can find one without the sun roof, you've eliminated the possibility of issues with it. The only other common complaint I hear is the gas mileage. Most average in the 20-22 range, but a few are lower and a few are higher. As long as you know what to expect and are OK with it, it won't be an issue for you. I've put about 20K on mine since I bought it about a year ago and I love it and have had no real issues.

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5
369 Posts
My 08 CTS4 was the worst POS I ever owned. Always at the dealership - ALWAYS!

It seems that the later '10 and upwards are far better in terms of reliability, and lack of niggling problems. There's plenty of threads here to look through.

As much as I loved that car, gawd it was a complete piece of doo-doo (technical term). If you're going to get it, get an ironclad extended warranty.

Here's an idea of issues that seem common - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...n/277804-what-can-you-say-about-cadillac.html

·
Registered
05 cts hi feat,2011 srx lux,2011 cts performance
46 Posts
i owned a few bmw's in the past and a few other german cars.but since i bought my first cts i couldnt go back to bmw. i love my caddys so much i own a 05 cts,2011 cts and a 2011 srx.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4, 3.6L DI, Luxury Collection
23 Posts
Bought an 08 w DI & Awd, sunroof and nav. Its a radical car. 86k miles now, no issues at all except tires and brakes at 60k. Really nice. I wouldnt be scared if u found the one u like and the dealer repair history is minimal.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,271 Posts
I have put about 15k on my used '10 that started with 30,000 miles. I have had no problems whatsoever. None, well my front hood gas strut support died, but that's nothing. Car gets good mpg, handles great and has some balls. It's not a V but it's a good car. I love cars, change my own oil and mess around with it, so I at least have a clue. To what, I'm not sure, but I like to think I have a clue about cars.

12,821 Posts
Welcome, Frank! It's great that you're considering a '08 or '09 CTS, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any vehicle questions along the way. I'm also happy to provide build code and warranty information on any particular vehicle you have your eye on! I'm just an email away at [email protected] for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
None
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all thank you all for the input, I greatly appreciate it.

@BreakingThrough and 1955CTS4
Thanks, that is pretty much what I have heard. I have a client who has an E60 BMW that spends 60% of it's time at the dealership. I'm not worried about the "small" stuff (on my E39 I have the breaking cupholders, fickle sunroof, and pixels going out) my main concern are the "Major" mechanical issues with the motor, tranny, cooling and HVAC. All of the newer German luxury cars have their own "major" issues (BMW = cooling, Mercedes =Tranny and suspension, Porsche = motor, etc), and that is something that completely turned me off of them, because I've owned older Mercedes and BMW's from the 1970's and 80's and it seems as though build quality is suffering. Anyways, long story short, thanks!

@00 ss, birolziggi, etc
Thank you for your input, it is important to know not only the good aspects of ownership but realistic expectations. On Bimmerfest.com (the bmw forum for my E39) every day there's some newbie who's like "I paid $3K for this car and now I have $5K in repairs!!!" because they didn't understand what they were getting themselves into. If I take the plunge into the Caddy Pool I want to make sure it's with eyes wide open.

@Cadillac Cust Svc
Thank you, I may PM or email you the vin# of the one I'm looking at.

I will keep you guys posted as it progresses!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,271 Posts
Frank, I also read the Roundel. The Tech Topics are the real tell-tale sign of (lack of) build quality on the new Bimmers. Trans out at 100k, etc. Yep, the older ones are what built their reputation, and today it is a yuppie car (in my humble opinion). I would only lease a new BMW, never buy one.

As the CTS goes, as previously mentioned, get a 2010 or newer.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,809 Posts
I would agree with one of the posts - avoid 08/09 CTS's and go for the 3.6DI engine with the Performance model with Perf. Luxury options included. Being new to Caddy, if you can also get the NAV with stated Perf. Lux options, I think you will be happy. Even though map updates are expensive, its a nice system with the NAV radio(RPO UAV). Best bet would be to look at 11 CTS. Beginning that year they made some changes that folks like - i.e. Easy/exit function. Plus check to see if you have rainsense wipers. Some of us like that feature. Not sure if it came back in 11MY.

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5
369 Posts
I would agree with one of the posts - avoid 08/09 CTS's and go for the 3.6DI engine with the Performance model with Perf. Luxury options included. Being new to Caddy, if you can also get the NAV with stated Perf. Lux options, I think you will be happy. Even though map updates are expensive, its a nice system with the NAV radio(RPO UAV). Best bet would be to look at 11 CTS. Beginning that year they made some changes that folks like - i.e. Easy/exit function. Plus check to see if you have rainsense wipers. Some of us like that feature. Not sure if it came back in 11MY.
I'm pretty sure that the rainsense wipers did come back, as well as the flash to pass headlight feature became available.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
There was a time the CTS did not have flash-to-pass?

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
There was a time the CTS did not have flash-to-pass?
Yup, my 09 does not have it. I miss it when some a-hol does something stupid and I want to let them know my feelings on their maneuver.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Another GM blunder. Thank goodness someone told them to do it. I thought ALL cars had it in this day and age. Then again, why not have the lane-changing turn signals (3 blinks) on all cars, too.
Oh, what the heck, nevermind. (rant).

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
tinman said:
Another GM blunder. Thank goodness someone told them to do it. I thought ALL cars had it in this day and age. Then again, why not have the lane-changing turn signals (3 blinks) on all cars, too.
Oh, what the heck, nevermind. (rant).
They had removed out of concern for the longevity of the HID bulbs. In current iterations the Flash-to-pass doesn't really flash the bulb. There is a shutter that opens and closes to simulate the flashing.

As for the three flash blink, my coupe has that feature.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
My '10 wagon has it as all of the CTS's do. My dad's big Lexus does NOT (this surprises me). All of the German cars do. It's amazing how you get used to that feature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts