Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
08 Black Raven CTS4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have removed the front plate holder on your CTS?? I bought it used and it came from New York and here in Michigan I do not need it and its taking away from the style in front. Is there a custom way to delete it??? I dont wanna hack it up ya know??

Any ifo or tricks would be great :)

·
Registered
05 XLR
10 Posts
I removed mine, it was held in place with the two lower screws that were drilled directly into the front of the bumper. Unfortunately when removed there are two small holes in the bumper.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
this has been discussed several times. Apparently there are body colored plugs to fill the holes left by the screws.

·
Registered
cts di
53 Posts
mine was held on by 4 billets (sp?) not screws - so i let my dealer do it - they removed it with no scratches and plugged the holes with bumper plugs for 10 bux. I felt that it would be better to let them do it considering you have to drill out the metal. looks 100x better now...

·
Registered
2011 CTS Premium in White Diamond Tricoat
26 Posts
Depending on the color, I had my bumper taken off, the holes filled and repainted. They just had to paint the section where the holes where, blended in the edges and re-cleared the whole bumper. Looks perfect! If it wasn't for the fact the dealer had to repair a small scrape on the under side of the bumper it would have cost me about $700 due to the fact my car is the White Tri-coat paint. All in all it cost me $216 for labor to fill the wholes. Plugs are cheaper but IMO don;t look as nice.

·
Registered
08 Black Raven CTS4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm. Yea i may see what the dealer can do. 10 bucks sounds good to me. lol. Im taking it in tomorrow anyway for a bad motor mount. Ill see what they can do. BTW some people were complaining of a vibration at idle (mine is to and is what made me check it) and im hoping this is the problem. Had the mechanic brake torque it and the damn thing almost flipped. Not quite but was really bad. lol.

Thanks for your help guys!!! Ill let ya know what i do :)

·
Registered
2013 srx perf, 2010 cts4 prem
160 Posts
I did the same as "aka" but also had the rear exhaust valance sanded smooth and painted. Total cost was around $350.00 and looks great. I did the plug routine for the front and they looked really bad. Something about 4 plugs on a $52k car that doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
cts di
53 Posts
i have black raven so maybe thats why the plugs work in my application - guess it would be more noticeable even body matched on any other color...

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS Coupe
82 Posts
It does all depend on how the dealer placed the plate on the front. In my case, the dealer used 4 rivets in the front bumper to hold the plate, so 4 bumperplugs were out of the question! I chose to remove the plate and have an Autobody shop fill and paint over the holes... This was $200 and I suggest this route if you want a clean look.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe Raven Black
114 Posts
I warned the dealer not to put it on when I took delivery. If I would have found a front plate or a dealership sticker on the rear, I wouldn't have taken delivery of it, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1
268 Posts
one of my main criteria for my cts was to make sure the front had never been drilled! Colorado does require a front plate, but Ill keep mine undrilled and risk the ticket. The front plate just kills the front end styling.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1st post on this forum, hello everyone!

I saw some criticism about Bumper Plugs and I just wanted to post up a few shots of my newly installed plugs to show how good they actually look. Just like one of the posters above, my front plate holder was riveted on for some reason and left 4 holes. I am pretty anal about my cars, but I didn't think it was necessary to pay a couple hundred dollars to have the holes refilled and the bumper repainted. Less than $50 later and I think they turned out great, especially on Black Raven. I got mine from www.bumperplugs.com, picked them up locally since they're based in the Charlotte area. The owner Eric is a legitimately good guy, and has a bad ass customized 911 turbo :)

Here are some pics:

Definitely recommend this product if you're having any doubts. I got the "new gen" plugs that are smaller than the previous ones and less obtrusive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's a Cadillac. It's a luxury car. Do it right and have a body shop fix the holes.
Uh it's a nice car but it's not like a Porsche or a high end Merc or anything. It's a GM car with a Camaro engine. Go with whatever you think looks good. If you're okay with spending a couple hundred dollars more on something that nobody but you is going to notice anyway, then be that guy!

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS Coupe
82 Posts
Uh it's a nice car but it's not like a Porsche or a high end Merc or anything. It's a GM car with a Camaro engine. Go with whatever you think looks good. If you're okay with spending a couple hundred dollars more on something that nobody but you is going to notice anyway, then be that guy!
Wow! Maybe it isn't a porche or Ferrari, but it's still a $50,000+ car that looks 100x better without a front plate and maybe 10x better without hole plugs on the front... They aren't that noticeable, but then again, they are if you're looking... Like I said, I had 4 holes, with the bumper plugs, you're spending about $50 for all 4, then you still have to drill to open up the holes even more for the plugs to fit...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I say if you have the money, get the holes filled.....it not then the plugs are just as good.
I'd just rather throw the money into my '66 Mustang Coupe project instead of going through the hassle and expense of 4 tiny holes in your front bumper ;)

Wow! Maybe it isn't a porche or Ferrari, but it's still a $50,000+ car that looks 100x better without a front plate and maybe 10x better without hole plugs on the front... They aren't that noticeable, but then again, they are if you're looking... Like I said, I had 4 holes, with the bumper plugs, you're spending about $50 for all 4, then you still have to drill to open up the holes even more for the plugs to fit...
FWIW I didn't have to drill the holes out. Just "plug" and play ha ha. I haven't had a single person even notice that there were plugs in the holes unless I pointed them out...but maybe on other colors it is more noticeable?

I have seen people on this board spending over $200 for OEM shift knobs though...so maybe the Cadillac community is ok with throwing away cash? I don't know, I'm new here :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts