Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the import bandwagon for many years now. I still have a yellow 1988 CRX that is rustless, spotless, and best of all, wingless and stickerless. Anyway, the noisy rough ride finally drove me to the brink and i broke down and bought a mint 1996 caddy seville STS with every option minus the moonroof. Its the red pearl optional color and black leather. I love it. I have had it for an astounding 3 days. The only thing that needs attention is a suspension rattle that sounds alot like a fron sway bar bushing that is badly worn. You can clearly hear it rattle over ripples in the road at low speeds and under minld braking, yet is silent on the highway or under heavy breaking. I am a very knowledgable gearhead, so i am sure i can fix it, but I just wanted to see if this was a common problem or maybe something else. I am almost certain that it is not a lower control arm or an upper a-arm because the noise is very flutter like that of a light part, as control arm bushing thunks are quite abrupt and non-fluttery. Anyway, I just wanted to join a non import forum. I love this new found thing called torque.

Brett

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
FirstTimeCaddy said:
I have been on the import bandwagon for many years now. I still have a yellow 1988 CRX that is rustless, spotless, and best of all, wingless and stickerless. Anyway, the noisy rough ride finally drove me to the brink and i broke down and bought a mint 1996 caddy seville STS with every option minus the moonroof. Its the red pearl optional color and black leather. I love it. I have had it for an astounding 3 days. The only thing that needs attention is a suspension rattle that sounds alot like a fron sway bar bushing that is badly worn. You can clearly hear it rattle over ripples in the road at low speeds and under minld braking, yet is silent on the highway or under heavy breaking. I am a very knowledgable gearhead, so i am sure i can fix it, but I just wanted to see if this was a common problem or maybe something else. I am almost certain that it is not a lower control arm or an upper a-arm because the noise is very flutter like that of a light part, as control arm bushing thunks are quite abrupt and non-fluttery. Anyway, I just wanted to join a non import forum. I love this new found thing called torque.

Brett
Front sway bar links. Very common problem. Very easy R&R so it's no biggie.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats funny, thats what i was thinking, if its just a sway bar link, thats a piece of cake to fix, next up, thos damn sqweeky ass center caps, noting that a little electrical tape will not fix...hehehe. I still cant get over how much these things get up and go, in my honda, you have to downshift a couple gears and wrap it to 9200 to make it go fast(still no turbo..need a few more parts), this thing, just makes a lil grunt and off she hauls.

Brett

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard. And thanks for signing up! Congratulations on the STS! Amazing car isn't it... Yes, these cars really move.. I had a '95 ETC - bascially the same car.. From 20mph on, they're one of the quickest cars on the road...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a newbie here with newly bought '97 Seville STS.
I think I'm going thru the same process you've gone thru. Since day one I bought my car, I noticed this strange rattling but not overwhelmly loud noise from where my feet are. Have you fixed the problem yet? If you have, was it an easy job to do? If I were to bring it over to the dealership or any other shop to fix the problem, how much labour (how many hours) should I expect and how much for the parts?
I'd really appreciate it if you can give me tips on how to do a repair. I just can't stand the noise anymore!!!
THanks in advance!! :)

Gino

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would check the center caps on your wheels for a start.

I bought a set of brand new wheels (Cadillac) and caps. Three months later I heard a noise similar to what you described.

I found a center cap that did not hold itself down tight enough. I applied a little electrical tape to the inside of the center cap and no more noise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome,
The stabilizer bar insulator is an easy repair. All I did was jack up and properly support the vehicle. Then removed the left front wheel. Had a clear shot to the bolts. Removed the two bolts, then jacked up the hub to lift the suspension and this relieved the pressure on the insulator. Then pull or cut the old insulator off and place the new one on and replace and torque the bolts.

The insulator for my 1992 STS was $8.00 plus tax. Took about an hour to install. You may have to have your VIN to get the correct insulator but with it being an STS, it may not matter as I think all STS's have the FE2 suspension.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
ipncjh1