Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2007 XLR
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I have a 2007 XLR and bought it last month.I love the car and bought it out right.Was taken care of very well seeing the records of every oil change,repair including every leak fixed.So far it drives good.Plans are to pull the engine out next month putting in head and main studs.Starting to have a small oil leak in the main area.Have ordered the main and head stud kits from Northstar Performance.

· Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD, Luxury
4,299 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum, :) if you could edit your signature to reflect your trim package that would help greatly with future posts, can you, tell us where generally you are from ? and can you post a pic of your car? we look forward to helping you - i would post future questions in your XLR sub- forum for best answers, lots of friends here (y)

Steve

· Registered
2007 XLR
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always wanted one and this one came up.Luckily I have a good friend that has done the head stud conversions,said takes about an hour to do and all I have to do is torque the nuts down

· Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
7,561 Posts
I always wanted one and this one came up.Luckily I have a good friend that has done the head stud conversions,said takes about an hour to do and all I have to do is torque the nuts down
welcome to the forums. As Tripwire said, you'll get more exposure in the XLR sub-forum. As to the head issue--an hour? really??

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
Yeah, i agree. I want to see that guy work if he can do a stud job in an hour. Fist the best thing is replacevthe holts withbstuds. This is an operation that is totally not needed. Xlr northstars do not have head boltbissues unless you run them hot. Spend your money on a good three row aluminum radiator plus coolant change and be good to go. If the carbhas loose headbolts, its been run hkt and studsvwill not fix your issue. Just buy a good low mileage engine for 1000$ or less. Engines do not sell. There are a hundred out there.you may break the main bolts pulling the caps to replace the rear seal plus the front crank bolts has to be bought in pairs as one is used to tighten thebpulley to specs, removed and another new installed and torqued. The engines do.leak a little but usually around the front cam acuators. Thats an easy fix. An engine in and out will have you with dozens of broken hoses,clamps and electrical connectors that you will not find.

· Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
8,492 Posts
They're about bulletproof already... Taking them apart for studs isn't necessary.
There has been a handful of actual engine failures we've seen here over the years and none due to not having studs.
I beat mine like a rented mule without hesitation and have every other engine in any car I've owned and only one ever had studs and that was only on lower end.

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
The car wizard on the xlr does not have a clue. Hes making a commercal. to try snd sell a part tbat is not needed and his labor which is also not needed.. You will do more damage and open up the engine to "bullit proof" itthan you will to keave it alone. Maybe if you turbo it or add a supercharger, headers big flow exhaust new larger injectors and a tune which you will not find anyone can do would studs be a good idea. want to bullit proof kt? Buy spare and swap it out if you ever blow it up. You showed you dont have a clue with the one hour labor estimate.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,134 Posts
I want to bulletproof it
Check out the latest videos from The Car Wizard on youtube
It sounds like she’s already watched the Wizards videos and wants to follow in his footsteps.

The car wizard on the xlr does not have a clue. Hes making a commercal. to try snd sell a part tbat is not needed and his labor which is also not needed..
Yup^ If you watch what he’s doing, he’s studding a Northstar that doesn’t even have a blown head gasket nor is that engine in a 2004 XLR even prone to the head bolts pulling out. He claims he’s bulletproofing it but he knows better than to say that engine is notorious for blowing head gaskets.

The whole video series comes off like a couple of guys wanting to pad their wallets while performing an unnecessary repair and probably misleading others into doing the same.

It’s funny how that guy from Northstar Performance is suddenly readily available to sponsor the video, yet there’s numerous threads on this forum talking about how he ignores good paying customers for months on end and makes them feel bad when he finally does get back to them.

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
I agree. The wizard has said for years he would not touch a northstar because the expense is too great to do on a 4-5000$ dts or some other model. now that no one buys the kits because those cars are not worth it and the newer northstar does not have the problem suddenly they are looking for a new customer base.so this whole commercial episode. Funny thing when wiz bought it. He was like it needs shocks so ill just get a new set of those and the top does not work so ill sort that out. .those are 4000$ worth of issues that would be good to cover. But he skipped right over those. i stopped watching when he said he was going to pull the engine from the top. Anyone that has worked on these kniw you can drop the whole suspension,engine out the bottom as intended in just a couple of hours. I would not even think about pulling it from the top.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,134 Posts
Funny thing when wiz bought it. He was like it needs shocks so ill just get a new set of those and the top does not work so ill sort that out. .those are 4000$ worth of issues that would be good to cover. But he skipped right over those.
I’m guessing that’s when the guy from N* Performance saw it and contacted him with a plan to give him an idea for content while dropping him a shameless plug at the same time. I mean who the hell “bulletproofs” a Northstar in which the head gaskets aren’t blown yet? Let alone studs a perfectly good RWD Northstar that’s not even known to have the same head gasket issues?

If someone came on here with that idea or said they’ve actually done that they’d be ridiculed.

Youtube is like a double edge sword. Yea some of the content is entertaining, but there’s so many shills who can’t even do a decent job of hiding their greed sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts