Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OoooKaaaay...:rant2:

Car starts to groan a tad, clutch starts to slip and basically engine starts to barf...Take it in to a "new" speed shop closer to my home with tons of reputation points from locals and club members...

I asked them to check things out knowing my "brand new spec 3+ clutch and flywheel" are maybe three weeks old---- of very, very moderate driving. One baby fart wheel spin and that's it.

They came beck with: Damn, have you been drag racing this thing? or tracking it, or driving while your foot is on the clutch (he apologized first before asking this)....No way! I replied. We found this he said.

• Torched Clutch/Flywheel
  • Torched Input Shaft
  • Loose bolts on the linkage (they would have fallen out any second)
  • Wiring harness f'up
  • Knock sensors/MAF f'up
  • Bearings shot
Oh yeah...You need a new MAF.

This was the 4K appetizer before the main entree I'm sure. I just found this out an hour ago.

Installer issue? Did they rock my car so f'in hard they torched everything?(remember was heading to the dyno a week or so ago and they (shop x) called to say that the slave cylinder was torched)

I Have already called Spec and they basically said "you're f'd" as far as getting a warrantied new one.

WTF?:rant2:

A) Go head hunting with shop X
b) Say f' it and start up with the new shop
c) Put another kid on e-bay for mod hell $ and screw college education funds
d) Put the wife to work to pay for my f-up
e) All of the above

I know...it's my fault and I take all responsibility but c'mon this is F'UP! and I'm not rich!

Sorry...just venting.

Pictures and documentaion are all happening as we speak...Need a MAF screen...:rant2:

T

·
0 Posts
Maybe we could combine parts from my car that runs like crap and you car that runs like crap to use to make one work and we can just share the car. I will only need it about 3 days each month as that is the current rate I get to drive mine now as it's in the shop the other days. What do you think? Oh and my new Spec 3 slips as well! LOL 100 miles and need a new clutch already. I'm thinking of taking mine down to Mexico this weekend if you know what I'm talking about. I have even thought about just parting the entire car out since I would get more money for it than trading it in on a new car.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I hate to suggest someone F-ed up without knowing for sure, but if the first shop used too thick a spacer on the Slave cylinder when they installed the new clutch then it's been dragging and that's why it's torched.

What is their reason for claiming that the MAF is bad?
What bearings do they claim are shot?
Which wiring harness is melted and how (did it contact the headers?)

Need more info on this, man.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe we could combine parts from my car that runs like crap and you car that runs like crap to use to make one work and we can just share the car. I will only need it about 3 days each month as that is the current rate I get to drive mine now as it's in the shop the other days. What do you think? Oh and my new Spec 3 slips as well! LOL 100 miles and need a new clutch already. I'm thinking of taking mine down to Mexico this weekend if you know what I'm talking about. I have even thought about just parting the entire car out since I would get more money for it than trading it in on a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]new car[/COLOR][/COLOR].
I was seriously looking at autotrader today with a case of Modelo's all chilled up. The car will have at least 30k into it as I have all the papers to wipe my arrrrrrrrrrrrrse with. Mod Hell is not for the timid....

Good thing my ADD & ADHD coupled with my Irish blood hasn't failed me yet:eek:

How about a two for one add? Buy one and get yours free *grin* j/k.

The good news is someone is going to get a hell of a car some day! maybe sooner than latttttah!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now thats just wrong Jim.

Funny but wrong.
That's why I love him....Sick in a good way...:thumbsup:

Like in Tombestone..."Are you guuuunnnna jus stand there and blllleeeed" or "Smells like sombody died"

Curly Jim and Johnny Ringo

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to suggest someone F-ed up without knowing for sure, but if the first shop used too thick a spacer on the Slave cylinder when they installed the new clutch then it's been dragging and that's why it's torched.
Tony -
I'm getting bits and pieces as they have the tranny dropped and are going through it. Knock sensors may have been relocated and the screen thrown away as a tuner can tune around it? I'm calling every half hour to get updates - Wiring harness looks not to have been torched just not wired correctly.

more to follow as I get more shhhhiat.:rant2:

·
26,239 Posts
2c5s over at ls1tech had a thrashed input shaft problem with his 408cu. Here's the post:

2c5s said:
Cadillac in all their wisdom decided to use a shorter input shaft on the V's T56. When I first got the 408 on the dyno, the pilot bearing sheared itself in half, why??? Because the input shaft was flopping around against it because it's short. When the input shaft flops around, it eats the slave cylinder for the throw out bearing. Hence my clutch failure on the dyno. The V uses a sealed pilot bearing that sits in the first seaction of the crank, not deeply recessed like EVERY OTHER car. In short, everything is back together and sounds much quieter than before. (pouring rain, test drive when it lets up) I actually heard this one going last week and parked the car trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Talked to Rodney @ RPM and he had also experienced the same issue and gone through some slave's etc. He started measuring parts and found the shorter input shaft. When I took off the spacer this time, I noticed a touch of trans fluid under the input shaft seal. Rodney next day aired me the seal and tool to install it properly. MUCHO APPRECIATED!!! I also had a remote bleeder built for the slave, bleeding and fluid changes will be a breeze now. A must if you do the clutch or have the trans down.
A possibility, perhaps? If so, the installers who put your new motor in need to fix it on their dime for not measuring.

·
26,239 Posts
It wouldn't matter if you were a millionaire, Chef- You need to pursue this issue with the shop that installed the parts. You paid good money for their expertise and therefore have a right to expect the work to be done properly. Part compatibility, fitment, proper wiring and durability are all part of the deal when you paid them to do the job.

If you used the wrong ingredients in a dish, you would prepare a new meal for the customer, not tell them to go down the street to a different restaurant and pay again.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I'll take number E please. Good luck man. I want to see soe vids of the souletr

·
26,239 Posts
I forgot to add- the solution to the input shaft problem is the bearing on the rear of the crankshaft. When they built your stroker, chances are that the stroker crank came with a GM bushing already installed on it. If they didn't swap that bearing to a CTS-V specific one, there's your problem.

It doesn't help with the MAF, but it would explain the hosed clutch, bearings, slave and input shaft.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear ya. I would be fired if I cooked like that regardless of the outcome. My job, like so many others out there depend on quality and perfection "or people die"...This, I tell to my cooks because we too are a trade and if we mis-handle product there are fatalities associated with it if not done correctly. I have seen people die from food borne outbreaks.

I am gathering as much intelligence as possible to deal with shop X. Death on the track or street with these errors in poor workmanship would have certainly equated to my last post.

Thanks T.P.
Chef

·
26,239 Posts
TONY!

I even have that e-mailed quote from 2c5's myself and I SENT IT TO SHOP X 3 MONTHS AGO!

DOCUMENTATION....YES!
Good to hear it. I'd get shop B to measure the bearing that's in there and compare it to the stock CTS-V part before letting shop A anywhere near it. IF they screwed up, they'll try and deny it. Get the proof before letting them touch the car and switch parts.

It's after 6 in Florida so my Parts Dept. is closed. I'll get you the dimensions in the morning if I can.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
TONY!

I even have that e-mailed quote from 2c5's myself and I SENT IT TO SHOP X 3 MONTHS AGO!

DOCUMENTATION....YES!
Damn this forum rocks (sometimes ;)). Sounds like that's your issue. Points to Tony.

Aww EFF IT. Points to you for documenting. That lil CYA may have saved you some serious cash.

Keep us informed.

-Chris

1 - 20 of 53 Posts