Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update from the previous hellish trail of torched slave cylinder's, pilot bearing & an input shaft...

Can't name the shop yet for potential legal reasons but here's what I got today for breakfast...

Good Morning Chef,
I wanted to let you know whats going on with your car.
We received the new clutch kit yesterday and will start putting the car back together today, compared the pilot bearing that we pulled out of the car to the origional CTS'V pilot bearing. The input shaft was not engaged into the pilot bearing that was installed in the crank and therefore did not support the load of the clutch disc and throw out bearing. Also, the pilot bearing that was in the car was damaged on installation so even if the part was correct it would have ruined the input shaft anyway.
I saved the parts for your inspection and took pictures per your request.
Call if you have any questions
John T. (manager of A.D.S.)

Chef

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Well atleast it's headed in the right direction. We shall call you Voldemort and your band of death eaters. (sorry I just read two Potter books in a week.)

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about this. Especially Chef's car. Its the blackest, baddest one in the forum. Smart with the pics chef. Documentation is key.
First you get the documentation of the tribulations. Then some representation for the justification. He can minipulate the magistrate as he litigates. You'll be reimbersed with a big cash purse for all the pain and hurt.
Good luck Chef!!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I'm glad to see that my suspicions about the pilot bearing were correct- this means that shop X is liable for the damage, and it wasn't just some random failure.

Good job documenting everything, and let me know if you need those dimensions I provided sent to you in a more "official" format.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
Oh boy. Even if (and it probably was) shop x's fault, even with the documentation, I don't see this ending well or easily... Good luck Chef.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Good luck Chef, I hope you get the shop that screwed up to own up to their mistakes.

I replaced the Flywheel on My V and getting the transmission back in was no easy task. The funny thing is how did they get it together without getting the shaft in the Pilot bearing? Did they use some parts that weren't right? Forget a spacer?

Everything is a fixed length and not adjustable that I can see. I have had the car back together for about 500 miles now with no troubles (so far) but you have me concerned now.

You have done some pretty major stuff to your V and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I start heading down that path.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The problem was the pilot bearing.

Shop X built and installed Chef's stroked LS2, but when installing the stroker crank they ordered the generic pilot bearing for a GM LS series engine. This would normally be the right part, but CTS-Vs have a shorter transmission input shaft and require a thicker CTS-V specific pilot bearing. The result of using the shallower bearing was lots of toasted parts.

Bottom line is that Shop X failed to properly research what was needed to install a stroker in a CTS-V, and by doing so damaged Chef's clutch, PP, flywheel and input shaft. They should be held responsible for replacing all damaged parts, including labor. Hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Shop X built and installed Chef's stroked LS2, but when installing the stroker crank they ordered the generic pilot bearing for a GM LS series engine. This would normally be the right part, but CTS-Vs have a shorter transmission input shaft and require a thicker CTS-V specific pilot bearing. The result of using the shallower bearing was lots of toasted parts.

Bottom line is that Shop X failed to properly research what was needed to install a stroker in a CTS-V, and by doing so damaged Chef's clutch, PP, flywheel and input shaft. They should be held responsible for replacing all damaged parts, including labor. Hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.
That explains it nicely.
I would like to see the picture of the damage. After your fixed up, of course. Although it could be too painful for the Chef. Like a bad sooflay. Sorry I butchered soufflet. And again.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
... Bottom line is that Shop X failed to properly research what was needed to install a stroker in a CTS-V, and by doing so damaged Chef's clutch, PP, flywheel and input shaft. They should be held responsible for replacing all damaged parts, including labor. Hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.
:yeah:

Geez, Chef, I sure hope all turns out okay on this one. They can fix everything, isn't that right? Big thing is just trying to get them to admit their screwup, take responsibility for it, and pay for getting it done properly ... true? We're behind you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'04 CTSV
60 Posts
Update from the previous hellish trail of torched slave cylinder's, pilot bearing & an input shaft...

Can't name the shop yet for potential legal reasons but here's what I got today for breakfast...

Good Morning Chef,
I wanted to let you know whats going on with your car.
We received the new clutch kit yesterday and will start putting the car back together today, compared the pilot bearing that we pulled out of the car to the origional CTS'V pilot bearing. The input shaft was not engaged into the pilot bearing that was installed in the crank and therefore did not support the load of the clutch disc and throw out bearing. Also, the pilot bearing that was in the car was damaged on installation so even if the part was correct it would have ruined the input shaft anyway.
I saved the parts for your inspection and took pictures per your request.
Call if you have any questions
John T. (manager of A.D.S.)

Chef

Not "Shop X", Chef?...

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts

Awesome write up, this makes sense. I have to agree with you, they are responsible and should step up and either fix it or paid to have it fixed. If it were me I wouldn't shop X anywhere near my car after doing something like that!

I wish you the best Chef, Just keep thinking it can be fixed and you still have one Bad A$$ V!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

Shop X has agreed to pay for the damaged parts, clutch etc. but obviously not ADS's labor which makes sense. He still said I should have taken it to his place for full repair but I've been lied to and that's all I need for making up my mind.

Just got another message that the pilot bearing was in fact the wrong size.

I'm lucky to have not hit a wall at 140 at PIR so I'm thankful to just to be here posting.

The messed up thing is that tomorrow is a huge all out professional photo shoot and car drive with the car club that I'm in and the caddy will not be there to steal the show from the exotics:mad:

Thanks for all of your support and a special thanks goes out to Tony who really spearheaded and gathered excellent intelligence and specs to assist the challenge!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
... The messed up thing is that tomorrow is a huge all out professional photo shoot and car drive with the car club that I'm in and the caddy will not be there to steal the show from the exotics:mad:! ...
:rant2:

·
Banned
Cadillac
109 Posts

Awesome write up, yet incorrect. Funny how the internet mechanics read another post on another board and still don't get it. More misinformation certainly does'nt help anybody. If you don't know, admit it, ask for help or just save the advice until you know what your tslking about.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Awesome write up, yet incorrect. Funny how the internet mechanics read another post on another board and still don't get it. More misinformation certainly does'nt help anybody. If you don't know, admit it, ask for help or just save the advice until you know what your tslking about.
How you gonna write some shit like that and not explain it. Thats just as bad as an internet mechanic spewing false information. You must be the internet police. Wait thats Urb's job.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
ADS confirmed my suspicions about the pilot bearing.

Quote:

"The input shaft was not engaged into the pilot bearing that was installed in the crank and therefore did not support the load of the clutch disc and throw out bearing."

The situation has been resolved by a professional shop confirming the incorrect dimensions of the bearing, so I don't understand the point of your post (but then again, all you ever seem to post are negative comments about other members).

I didn't see you trying to help Chef, so why don't you take your own advice and be quiet if you don't have anything constructive to add?

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts

Quote:

"The input shaft was not engaged into the pilot bearing that was installed in the crank and therefore did not support the load of the clutch disc and throw out bearing."

The situation has been resolved by a professional shop confirming the incorrect dimensions of the bearing, so I don't understand the point of your post (but then again, all you ever seem to post are negative comments about other members).

I didn't see you trying to help Chef, so why don't you take your own advice and be quiet if you don't have anything constructive to add?

HAHAHAHAHA Someone got Pwned! And as long as it's not me, I'm fine with that...

·
Banned
Cadillac
109 Posts

Quote:

Like I said, if you don't know what your talking about, keep it to yourself. Chefs problem was diagnosed months ago.

Owned??? I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts