Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Coupe Deville
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I Know There Are Alot Of Threads About Hei, I Am Wanting To Know The Easiest Way To Get A Hold Of An Hei Distributer. Example: Go To Auto Parts Store And Tell Them I Have A ('74-'?) Cad Or Get A Hold Of Msd, Tell Them I Want To Convert My Points To Hei, Go To Junkyard And Pull One, What Year Cad Would I Look For? Any Info Would Help Me Out, Thanks. I Have A 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville 472ci.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would depend on how much work you want to put into it. If you go to a parts store to get one, it will usually cost you in the neighborhood of $100. Plus you'll usually have a core charge as well. You could turn in your points style as a core, but most people want to keep the old as a backup to go back to original. What I did was look on ebay for "hei cadillac". You'll find them on there pretty regular. This way will be cheaper but being a used distributor you might have to take it apart and give it a good cleaning.
One other thing to note, if you're running a two belt setup, the inside belt is very, very close, if not rubbing. This depends on how you time the distributor. Mine just barely clears the second belt.
The MSD direction is nice although very expensive. I would only go this route if you were doing a full high performance build.

·
Registered
94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo
170 Posts
i put this right in the orginal distributor.
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/cadillac.htm
i had a 78 eldo dist. that I was going to put on the 69 dawg but pulley was in the way.
can change the lower pulley on the crank of one and put on the other but a pain too.
this went right inside the orginal dist.
for the time and moeny was worth it.
click on the above link and read instructions of how it is done.
now high out put coil is another thing.
hot rod web site has article about wiring up a high output coil.
can't remember the address off hand.
i was able to keep the orginal plugs and gap, since i did not go with a high out put coil.
all depends whats you are looking to do with the motor

·
Registered
Cadillac Coupe Deville
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks For The Info, I Am Going To Go To A Single Belt Pulley System So Room Will Not Be An Issue, So Lets Say I Go To An Auto Parts Store, What Year Cad Do I Want A Dist. For? Also Once I Do That Do I Need To Gap My Plugs Different?

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts

·
Registered
94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo
170 Posts
What Year Cad Do I Want A Dist. For? Also Once I Do That Do I Need To Gap My Plugs Different?
mid 70's will work
get a new set of plugs and gap at 0.060 if i recall correctly
with a high out put coil need more gap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts