Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Hector’s 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Been a while between posts! Made slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
Cars back at home, no room or time at the shop. Filming for this tv show plus trying to get customers cars done, and then my car. As well as jobs on the side. Running off two hours sleep every day I eventually was forced to take a week off, which was good. Went down the beach with the mrs for a week and just chill. Just what I needed.
Then 2 days back at work managed to get metal in my eye. Which involved 3 needles and what I can only describe as a dremel to remove it. That shit is proper scary! Don’t wish that on anyone!!

Got to drive the car home which was awesome!

Then the starter solenoid decided it was going into retirement, and of course rock auto had nothing in stock. A local guy helped me out and was able to rebuild it!
So why that was out put new spark plugs and leads

Managed to find exhaust/vacuum/emissions leak and sort that.

That’s the hose that goes into the one way valve into the exhaust air-pipe. The valve had broken at some point so someone just ground down a air compressor fitting and siliconed it on. It was pouring exhaust out of the hose so much it burnt a hole on it.

Ordered a 1983 service manual, has made life so so so much easier! Now I can see all the live data of what’s going on with the engine, and reset procedures for tps, idle etc:

Went through the tests, and found out the isc gear was stripped:

I also noticed that one of injectors wasn’t spraying the best so pulled them out and sent them off to be cleaned and flowed. They are now within 1cc of each other. $35 is better than spending a few hundred on new ones!

New o rings and gaskets, and I put them in today. Runs really good! Needs a good drive for it to re learn but no where near as rich as it was prior. Waiting on a new isc and a few other bits to arrive, but ran the car to get it up to operating temperature and found after 30 minutes (even with the grill blocked) the car would not get over 50 degrees. Manual says it’s 85-90. So I investigated and found someone has removed the thermostat. Awesome! Just my luck lol.
So got one coning. Hopefully that’s the last of it! Pray for me

Hector.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,643 Posts
Awesome man! Glad to hear from you again.

It's cool to see a car like this in the hands of someone who can actually properly fix it. Too many times we get stories of young guys who buy old Caddies and can't figure it out and they get discouraged.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Awesome man! Glad to hear from you again.

It's cool to see a car like this in the hands of someone who can actually properly fix it. Too many times we get stories of young guys who buy old Caddies and can't figure it out and they get discouraged.
Thanks bro! Appreciate it :)
I think a lot of people think if I just throw parts at it, it will eventually fix itself. Or just half ass fix everything like the previous owner. Fix it right the first time, and you won’t have to do it again. Even if it takes longer. That’s my theory anyway.

It is hard because this engine was never in production in anything in Australia, but at the end of the day, you break everything down to sub systems, every engine is the same.

Hopefully all work will give me many years of trouble free cruising! :)

Hector.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Re: Hector’s 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Man talk about a long time between posts!
Well where to start? Have been working on and off on the caddy, as everyone knows life gets in the way!
I am in the process of staring my own business, which is stressful but it’s something I have to do and as they say there’s no time like the present!

So I not long finished a 1963 c10 long bed. Really nice truck! Has a 400ci small block with a draw through turbo, turbo 400, great cruiser! Previous owner had done a bolt in airbag kit which wasn’t the greatest. The owner said I want it on the ground so that’s what happened. Full rear chassis (already had a camaro front) raised bed floor etc:

Bed off ready for work:

Worked out how low it needed to go, cut up some rails.

Got em in, welded, painted

Finished product!

That was a fun build! Next to do on it is bring the front down and make some wheel tubs for the front as well.

In between that I’ve had a ton of jobs outside of work as well as the large amount at work. I was pulling auto off a engine, not knowing that the someone had already taken the bolts out from the flywheel to the converter. Slid the auto back and the convert went flying. Me being a dumbass I tried to grab it before it hit the ground. Smashed my finger between the concrete and the converter. It pretty well severed my index finger just in front of the top knuckle. That’s almost finally healed but put me out of commission for a while! But firing on all cylinders again so just trying to jump between projects and spread my time out.

Caddy is running pretty well, only done a small amount of driving on it. Weather is
Shit here anyways so happy to be behind the welder keeping warm

Will keep you all posted!

Hector.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,643 Posts
Hey Hector! Yeah it's cold as shit over there right now. The wife moved to Altona and she's complaining about the weather.... and she wants to own a log cabin here in the US some day - HA!

Truck is badass. Glad to hear from you.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks guys!
Yeah cold as fuck! Just coming into spring here but still shit. Spring means a lot of the car shows and meetings fire up again so trying to get a whole bunch of little things sorted. Parts order will be here in the next few days which is good. Several parts were on back order so included is my idle motor so I can finally put that in and do the reset procedure!

Laid the wires next to the car just to get some motivation!
Got a lot of personal shit going on at the moment so I’m really keen to get out and put some miles on her!

I’ve had issues with the electric windows in this since I got the car. The drivers window goes down 3/4 then stops. Then you have to pull the glass up to get it to move back up to close. Turns out the “tape” is fucked. That motor seems really good though. The other windows are really really slow going up and down. I’m not sure if the motors are screwed or if they just need some love..

Other thing I need to do is align the rear bumper bar. More so around the tail lights. Anyone got any tips?

Hector.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, finally got what I hope is the last parts I need (running/driving wise)! First box got delivered start of the week and the second, well, FedEx lost it. So 5 days of back and forth phone calls they managed to find it on the other side of the country and got it to the depot about 2 hours from me late Friday night. Got up at 5am and hauled ass to the depot before work

Straight to work, put in a 9 hour day, gashed my hand open when a cutting disc exploded but nothing wasn’t stopping me!
First off the ranks was alternator rebuild kit. Diode was different but made it work, and better yet charge light on the dash is gone yew!!

All cleaned up ready to go back in. New bearings and all.
Then mounted the new isc motor up, and I’ll follow the Cadillac calibration procedure to set it up. Threw the new coolant temp sensor in at the same time.

Then it went down hill. Ordered a new thermostat and housing, as I was suspect on the original thermostat. Got a really nice surprise when I pulled the housing off...

Pulled the thermostat out, and pulled off the silicone and, well...

The lower housing is corroded and well not good. That pretty well stopped me in my tracks. Only solution I had was to clean it up the best I could, jb weld it and then file it down so it’s all flat and sealed again.

So that’s where I’m at now. Gotta wait 24hrs for it to fully cure, so when I get home from work tomorrow I’ll file it all down so it’s all flat, get it all back together and then see if she’s all happy!
Wish me luck!!

Hector.

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Good to see some updates! Hate that kind of thing... really stops you in your tracks.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well been pushing hard, about 6 weeks out from a once yearly event called the bright rod run. It’s a 3 day hot rod/custom car show in a cool little old school town.
Been having some issues with my hands of late, which has been making day to day life hard. To the point where some nights I can’t even hold my knife and fork to eat dinner. Few dr’s trips and blood test and found out I have early stages of arthritis in my hands. Great! 29 years old and my body’s like “nah mate, I’m out ”.

New thermostat and housing all good, no leaks
Upper hose was stuffed and to my surprise my local parts guys had one. The original housing that was on the car was, well, let’s say unique..

Finally got to run the car up to operating temp so I can attempt to the the isc reset, check timing and tps (as per the Cadillac manual). As she was getting warm, I jumped in the car to check the temp. As I was checking it I heard a hissing sound. Stuck my head out and noticed coolant coming out from the radiator cap. I thought I’d had a off moment and forgot to turn the cap the entire way, so went to turn it and as soon as I touched it, bang. Radiator cap came flying off and all the coolant came with it. Ended up pretty well destroying my right hand, copped some on the neck and face. It was hot but I didn’t think it was that bad. Straight under the cold water then realised how bad my hand copped it. Ended up at emergency, later on (once I knew the caddy was all good!) all the good pain meds!! burnt a lot of skin off my right hand, wrist, fingers and palm. Lucky I was wearing a jumper! I had pain in my eye, turns out I got some coolant in there as well and it burnt the bottom of my eyeball and the eye lid. Perfect!

Now, the whole time I had assumed it was the cap that was the culprit, yes but no.
As soon as I got home I had a look and there is a split in the actual filler neck, right where the cap locks onto. So it was holding on, and when I’ve touched it, it’s let go.

So I pulled it out took it to my old school radiator guy. When I pulled it out, I noticed it had some spots in the core that looked suss.
He put a new filler neck on it, cleaned it out and pressure tested it and, the core is fucked. Several pin leaks. He did what he could but said it’s just a band aid. So I’m going to try and find a company in the states that do then at a reasonable price and will ship to Aus.

Got it back in for now, so I can sort out other stuff.
I get pretty much all my stuff through rock auto, but if anyone has any other suggestions I’d really appreciate it!

I also have a trans leak which I need to get under and clean it then run it for a bit. I’m just hoping it’s just a easy seal or something.
But I’ll get the cooling system sorted first then dive into that.

Wish me luck!

Hector.

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Just buy a new radiator here in the US and ship it over there. Almost nobody re-cores them anymore because the new ones are so damn cheap. Sorry to hear about your injuries. That's scary. I've run from hot coolant before - no bueno.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yeah hot coolant isn’t fun. But yeah could of been worse so I’ll take what I got!

I did some searching last night found a few places that do complete units, so I’ll have to bite the bullet and get one. Just nervous of it getting damaged in transit.
Let the car sit for a while after running and now looks like I’ve got a leak from the water pump. Guessing because it’s somewhat holding pressure it’s just found the next weak link.

Hector.

·
Registered
1983 fleetwood brougham
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Water pump is leaking, so ordered a new one with a few other “just in case” items.
I say it every time but hopefully it’s the last of it. I would be nice if we had these engines in cars here in Australia. Would love to have a spare one on a stand. At least I could rebuild it outside of the car and have it ready to go.
I’ve still got plenty to keep myself busy while I wait on parts to arrive.
My other project (which will be my daily driver when I open my own business) is a 89’ Mitsubishi triton. I think they’re called a mighty max state side.
Runs a astron 3 2.6L single cam, bored 40thou over, copper head gasket fire ringed/o-ringed head, turbo cam, garret t3/to4e with a turbonetics quick spook rear housing on lpg (propane).

Should be a fun little run around!

Also started making all new earth, charge and power cables for the lac.

I’ll get there one day!

Hector.

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
Around here, all those Mitsubishi trucks have returned back to their base elements by now.

Glad to hear progress is at least forward rather than backwards.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts