Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 141,000 original miles; engine rebuilt at 122,000 miles; front brakes and rotors replaced at about 125,000; Drive 150 mile commute DAILY

Symptoms: subtle vibration below 45mph+/-, even when NOT braking;

at hiway speed (65 to 75mph) severe vibration and brake pulsation - service shop says pads okay and rotors mic out even - no glazing - they did report that CV boot is torn, but didn't say if it is dry.

Question: What are the possibilities for the source of the vibration; brakes and rotors are after market - does that make a difference?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Lets put it this way. These cars are SOoooo sensitive to anything regarding balancing there is a TSB for vibrations. The first thing on the list is to tell the tech to check for a stone in the tire. Anything, and I mean any little thing at all can throw a tire out of balance enough to do that.

Check for any rust on the back of the rotors, buildup on the insides of the wheels, make them recheck the balancing, maybe you threw a weight off. Have them RoadForce balanced. Don't settle for anything less. Make sure all rotational parts are clean and free of rust, buildup, dirt, etc.

Since it sounds like it really involves breaking and you didn't say shake you said vibration I will guess it has something to do with the rear rotors.

Honestly I have something very similar and I think I found the culprit the other day. While the guys were doing my wheels, I took the opportunity to do a brake inspection. My right rear rotor is a mess. I don't know why, the pads are fine but it's all pitted to hell so they're getting replaces ASAP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem with my 99 Deville . The steering wheel shakes at high speed braking . I have replaced all the rotors and pads twice , and that fixes the problem for about a year and then it comes back slowly. The last rotors were premium Monroe's. I wonder if there are rotors that are recommended for Devilles? They are heavy cars ...
Thanks
RRG

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
If you don't use GM rotors you'll warp them about once a year. At least that's my experience.

If the steering wheel shakes it's in the front. If it's just vibration it's most likely the rear

I have the same problem with my 99 Deville . The steering wheel shakes at high speed braking . I have replaced all the rotors and pads twice , and that fixes the problem for about a year and then it comes back slowly. The last rotors were premium Monroe's. I wonder if there are rotors that are recommended for Devilles? They are heavy cars ...
Thanks
RRG

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Symptoms: subtle vibration below 45mph+/-, even when NOT braking;
That is not brake related. More like a balance problem.

at hiway speed (65 to 75mph) severe vibration and brake pulsation
Slowly press on the parking brake. Does it vibrate and pulsate? If yes, concentrate on the rear brakes. If no, concentrate on the fronts.

I have had pulsation problem where the rotors appeared to be fine. Truing them up on a brake lathe cured the problem. Could be hot spotted or uneven pad deposits.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

·
Registered
2000 DHS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to dealer today (none of you guys volunteered!) Loose tie rod and wheel hub; two torn CV boots (later); leaking power steering line; recommending rotors all around though they haven't checked them yet. They have raised the issue of just selling it and moving on - unfortunately it will not be a Cadillac.

I have believed the tales from the Dept and the lies from the salesmen and lived through TWO BAD ENGINES; and endless run around about the tire vibration.

I hate to say it, but Cadillac did it to themselves . I'll buy European and have - BMW, but NEVER Far Eastern - something about Vietnam.

JCW

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Well, although I feel bad you feel that way I have to say that those are pretty normal things at 140k +. Do you know of any car that doesn't need some hub work or a tie-rod at 140k?

Hell I did a tie-rod on my DTS at 30k. Not really sure it was a huge problem but my front end guy said it was a little loose.

CV boots, I'm surprised they haven't been done already. They should be inspected regularly for tears to protect the CV joints. My daughter just had to do both axles in her Passat at 60k

The car is old and has pretty high mileage on it. You have to expect it to need some work.

I just took my 214k mile STS into my mechanic to do the whole front end, tie-rods, ball joints, strut rod bushings and to do the intake gasket. Why you ask? Because for under a grand I'm going to get another 50k out of the car easily and I can keep the mileage down on the DTS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts