Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the steering to become REALLY heavy at very low speeds? Like when making a 3 point turn, sometimes it feels like the power steering pump just stops working for a second, then goes back to normal.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft issue I have read about on here. The General has an improved part and bushing. Your car still under warranty?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
gary88,
It sounds like a bad PS pump. Low pressure at hot idle and feels stiff, frees up with slight RPM increase. If this is it, buy the new pump and pulley from the dealer or GM parts source.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car's still under warranty. I'll tell the dealer about it next time I take it in, thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft issue I have read about on here. The General has an improved part and bushing. Your car still under warranty?
The ISS issue causes vibrations, bouncyness and noise in the steering rack, it doesnt affect the steering effort itself though. The only way your ability to steer is affected is if the shaft gets bad enough to entirely separate.

This sounds like a garden variety PS pump failure to me, Check your fluid and/or R&R the pump.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Well I'm glad somebody around here knows what they are talking about! Sorry for the bad information.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well I'm glad somebody around here knows what they are talking about! Sorry for the bad information.
We all know a little, you were on the right track! ISS issue being unresolved is what finally caused me to dump my 2001 buyback. I practically posted a book about the ISS problem here a few years ago.

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
gary88,
Is your steering fixed? Rack or pump?
My 99 sts is doing the samething now, 103k miles.
I flushed the p.s fluid, bleed the system, it only slighty better. Since I don't have the p.s pressure gauge set I can't tell if its the rack or the pump. I did test the magnasteer system with the T2 it passes all tests. Now, the fluid was discolored and the smell was not normal. I'm thinking a rack n pinion assembly that's a lot of work on a caddie. :dammit:
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Whoah whoah whoah... I hate how everyone just jumps straight for the "The powersteering pump is bad" thought... Most times the serpentine belt is just old and streched and thus slips on the powersteering pump pulley at low rpms.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Whoah whoah whoah... I hate how everyone just jumps straight for the "The powersteering pump is bad" thought... Most times the serpentine belt is just old and streched and thus slips on the powersteering pump pulley at low rpms.
Thats it. Start with whats easiest and the least expensive and go from there. Unless its obvious of course.
I see all the time issues that could be something so simple as a belt or what not.

Not saying that anyone here is incorrect on there diagnosis. Just standin with Krashed in sayin to tread lightly. Sometimes it can be quite simple. Look before you leap.

Without a doubt the majority of those here do know what they are talking about. And thats without seeing the vehicle. Remember....these are just suggestions given to explained symptoms. They are giving advice on things to look at. In no way should anyone take it as written in stone to go ahead and R&R.

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
I have roughly the same issue. When turning at low speeds I get the power steering pump whine like it is low on fluid. I went to put some Mobile1 for a little extra lubrication and found the fluid to be full. When I took some of the fluid out it was brownish and smelled dirty. Could it be the pump? How could I tell if it is the pump or another component?

On a side note, the steering should get loose at low speeds and tight at higher speeds?

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
I have the problem with my '98 STS. belt is new, pully looks fine, fluid is full and clean. May be just an inherent problem with the valving. Never tried increasing the R's but will.

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
Hey Krashed,
Thanks for the response; you could've saved me some bucks. I went out and checked the serpentine belt, it's in great shape. I also checked the belt tensioner to make sure it was taking up the drive belt slack as it stretches. The tensioner spring housing indicator marks are also within the the normal range. The notches would have been misaligned if the serpentine drive belt was stretched to the point that required replacement.

At this point my symptoms are exactly what Cadillac tech described in a previous post, and my p.s fluid is dark and smelly again. :mad: I'm thinking p.s pump now.

By the way there is a lot of truth to what you and Murphyg stated.

Have you ever seen somebody dive into an electrical wiring repair and have it turn out to be a blown fuse?

Check the basics first.

Thanks, Frank

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Mine does it before and after a serpentine belt replacement..
Check the tensioner... After that, I would think it's the pump.

jchughes101 said:
I have roughly the same issue. When turning at low speeds I get the power steering pump whine like it is low on fluid. I went to put some Mobile1 for a little extra lubrication and found the fluid to be full. When I took some of the fluid out it was brownish and smelled dirty. Could it be the pump? How could I tell if it is the pump or another component?

On a side note, the steering should get loose at low speeds and tight at higher speeds?
Yours sounds more like the powersteering pump is bad, mostly because it's making noise. And yes it should get loose at lower speeds and tight at higher speeds.

I have the problem with my '98 STS. belt is new, pully looks fine, fluid is full and clean. May be just an inherent problem with the valving. Never tried increasing the R's but will.
Check the tensioner also. If that's not it, it's probably the pump.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Thats it. Start with whats easiest and the least expensive and go from there. Unless its obvious of course.
I see all the time issues that could be something so simple as a belt or what not.

Not saying that anyone here is incorrect on there diagnosis. Just standin with Krashed in sayin to tread lightly. Sometimes it can be quite simple. Look before you leap.

Without a doubt the majority of those here do know what they are talking about. And thats without seeing the vehicle. Remember....these are just suggestions given to explained symptoms. They are giving advice on things to look at. In no way should anyone take it as written in stone to go ahead and R&R.
There is a redesigned pump for this vehicle. That's why I recommended buying the new one earlier (it's under warranty though). They finally went back to a cast iron housing. I guess Cadillac got tired of paying me and every other dealer to replace 2 or 3 of these every day. The new pump requires a new pulley as I previously mentioned along with a hose modification. I have yet to see a new style pump fail.

I'm always for the cheap and fast fix. Look at the basics, find the root cause, and fix it. Unfortunately for those out of warranty, this costs about $250 plus labor. It won't be back though.

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
There is a redesigned pump for this vehicle. That's why I recommended buying the new one earlier (it's under warranty though). They finally went back to a cast iron housing. I guess Cadillac got tired of paying me and every other dealer to replace 2 or 3 of these every day. The new pump requires a new pulley as I previously mentioned along with a hose modification. I have yet to see a new style pump fail.

I'm always for the cheap and fast fix. Look at the basics, find the root cause, and fix it. Unfortunately for those out of warranty, this costs about $250 plus labor. It won't be back though.
Cadillac tech,
I called around for a p.s pump for my 99 sts. The best price I can come up with for a pump and reservoir is $80.00. I then ask them for the updated cast iron part and nobody knows about one, these are A/C delco dealers too. I also tried Rock auto, gmpartsdirect. Probably a dealer only item?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Pump P/N 88955485......$197.19
Pulley P/N12589054.......$18.23
You'll need about 10" of 3/8" fuel hose and two clamps. Cut the crimp off of the PS hose to remove the short hose and replace with the 10" piece to reach the return port on the new pump.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts