Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, my 1993 Cadillac Eldorado ETC began acting up. It starts fine but idles rough, and then under acceleration it is very sluggish with no power. It smokes thru the exhaust to the point where other drivers and pedestrians complain. The ABS light stays on, the Service Engine Soon light stays on and the Traction Disabled message stays on. My question is: with all of the warning lights and messages appearing at once, and something obviously wrong with the fuel management system, could I be having a problem with the main computer that regulates all of this? Does that ever happen? If so, can I replace, re-program or re-set the computer? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Re: Heavy Smoke & Multiple Alarms Mean What?

Have you pulled the codes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Heavy Smoke & Multiple Alarms Mean What?

Here are the error codes that popped up about an hour ago: PO30 ISC RPM out of range, P137 Loss of TCS (traction control system) data, IO32 Loss of ABS/TCS data, TO72 Serial data link fault, SO44 Lift or dive signal fault and SO60 Left front position sensor fault. With the exception of the PO30, it amounts to the loss of data and some signal faults. Any thoughts on the relationship of these codes to the performance problems I'm having? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A POP, then thick, heavy white smoke.

:eek:Now I’m worried! As described in my earlier post, my 93 Eldorado ran poorly, had a good bit of smoke and multiple warning messages. Thinking this could be corrected by re-setting the computer, I disconnected the battery, to zero the computer, then re-connected it to start the re-programming. When I started the car, there was a sudden pop and smoke under the hood. I opened the hood to find a bit of engine bracket dislodged from the pop but no more smoke. I started the car again, for the fifteen-minute idle sequence and it smoked like crazy the whole time, thick white smoke. After thirty minutes of this, I shut the engine off, restarted it, and pushed the RPM’s up at idle and the smoke was so thick and white that I had to lock it up and come back to the apartment before the neighbors called someone. Both exhausts are blowing smoke but the car isn’t overheating. What does “white” smoke mean? What do you think the “pop” was? Is it time to sell this thing for parts? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Re: A POP, then thick, heavy white smoke.

White smoke could be a blown headgasket, or burning oil... either way, white smoke in the amount you describe is not good. Is the car making any noises? Have you recently done any kind of induction service to the car such as a throttle body cleaning? Some chemicals induced into the combustion process can also cause heavy white smoke.

The pop you heard and the dislodged engine cover might have been the backfire valve under the manifold, but I dont think 93's had this yet.

EDIT: Also please keep threads to one topic in order to reduce clutter, I am combining this thread with your other one to avoid confusion and server load.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: A POP, then thick, heavy white smoke.

White smoke is either burt oil (small-ish amounts of it) or antifreeze.

What does it smell like?

I'd suspect it's a blown headgasket issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of you help. I think it probably is the head gasket. I know white smoke can be generated from cleaning out carbon deposits, but I have not put any Sea Foam additive in for weeks. I am going to check the radiator to see if there is a lot of water missing, water that might have been blow into the cylinders past a head gasket. Any idea what repair costs might be, understanding that I live in Seattle? Thanks

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well, it doesnt really matter where you live, but you really need to love and be attached to your car to be prepared for the cost of a hg repair and for it to be done *right*. 2500.00 and up is the going rate for the headgaskets, and at that price, depending on how many miles on your motor, it may be time to look for a suitable replacement engine from a donor vehicle and spend the same or less.

It may still be something else, so check thoroughly for other problems, and then have a cylinder leakdown (pressure) test done. Obviously, youll need to have someone come to you, tow the car to them, or buy the kit yourself cause driving it like that will either A. get you a ticket, B. destroy the motor, or C. all of the above.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
When was the last time you changed your spark plug wires? My 94 smoked like that when they went bad. The 93-94 has a different intake than the 95 and later years. The "beauty cover" itself is the backfire valve. The whole thing lifts up if a backfire occurs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is interesting! I know the plug wires on my car are damaged but I had wrapped those areas that I knew about, to avoid arching. The part that blew off does look like a part that would be called "beauty trim". How could plug wires cause this much smoke, and it was considerable? Does the beauty trim have to be replaced before the car is started and is it something I can do? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
You're willing to pay for a headgasket repair but not for new plugs and wires ?
WoW.
Id start with that. As well as a new distributer cap and rotor.
Keep it maintained and youl'll save thousands in the long run.

I bet your mileage is preety bad too with taped up wires.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
That is interesting! I know the plug wires on my car are damaged but I had wrapped those areas that I knew about, to avoid arching. The part that blew off does look like a part that would be called "beauty trim". How could plug wires cause this much smoke, and it was considerable? Does the beauty trim have to be replaced before the car is started and is it something I can do? Thanks
Wrapping the wires in electrical tape is only a temporary fix. Even the added insulation that the electrical tape provides will break down in that heated environment and allow arching.

When mine was smoking like that it looked as if I was burning rubber everywhere I went. It was pretty bad.

The trim piece that came off should either be completely removed or properly put back into place before you start the car again. Otherwise you'll probably have a significant vacuum leak which would cause the rpms to shoot way up when you start the car.

Murphyg said:
Id start with that. As well as a new distributer cap and rotor.
The northstar engine doesn't have a distributor cap or rotor. Instead it has four coil packs.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
The northstar engine doesn't have a distributor cap or rotor. Instead it has four coil packs.
I just assumed that bein a 93 that it had the 4.9.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the advice, and you're correct, there is no distributor cap or rotor on this car. I have not decided to, or stated that I have decided to repair the head gasket, so the questions about the plugs and wires are valid. You're correct about a monetary difference in repair costs, but if I do the work myself, the difference is in the hundreds, not thousands and in favor of two head gaskets not eight plugs and cables. All in all, considering there is more wrong with this car than the engine, I think it's time to sell it. Because I don't drive much, and live downtown, the Flex Car is looking pretty good. Thanks again for your positive advice.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Think you miss-understood.
Spending a little to properly maintaine your engine will save you thousands in repairs. If not properly maintained it could create a domino effect on systems that could cost into the thousands to repair.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
What does t he "smoke" smell like? It could be coolant from a head gasket. It could be oil or it could just be fuel vapor from a ruptured FPR.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts