Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, All
I'm losing my head with my 88 Brougham... Lost the heat several weeks back (mind you, this is Maine in December). Blower is fine, just pumping cold air. I figured it was the thermostat and replaced that: no dice. Next I trace back to the heater core -- inlet hose hot, outlet hose cold. Plugged core, maybe? Yanked the core yesterday and flushed it; there's flow, but still no heat in the cabin. So today I replaced the core. No go. Disconnected the outlet hose at the core to blow out air, and the flow seemed healthy. Disconnected the same hose at the waterpump end and the flow seems restricted, so I replaced that hose. Still no heat, although the outlet hose has warmed up a bit. Now, even though there are some electronics controlling the system generally, this part of the system is still simple in essence, right? Cold air comes in, heats up as it passes through the core, and enters the cabin -- Cadillac comfort.

So what am I missing? I'm planning on focusing on the Heater Control Valve tomorrow, but I don't have a clue how this thing functions, or what the vacuum hose coming off of it is connected to on the cabin end. My Haynes and Chilton manuals contain ZERO info about this little device. Can anyone out there enlighten me, and is my troubleshooting and diagnosis reasonable to this point?? All help appreciated -- I've got four days to what now looks to be an extremely cold 3 hour drive to Grandma's house!! Happy Holidays....

·
Registered
32 Posts
check to see if there is a big valve looking thing in the inlet side of the heater.my bro had a 92 FWB & this cracked.i bypassed it with plumbing parts from home depot.it shuts off flow to the heater core when the a/c is on.maybe it's stuck in bypass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
maksitfaster