Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a cadillac seville sls 97 model. After an hours drive, I notice the temperature rise abit above the centre bar on the temperature gauge and then it drops down to normal. It just keeps rising and dropping.

Also when I stop the vehicle, if I don't change it to neurtral but just keep my foot on the brake lever, the vehicle just stumbles (kind of knocking feel).

Prior to this I had just changed the radiator, coolant tank, the hoses because the mechanic at the dealer workshop said that there was a leak. Initially there happened to be one, and the temperature would rise to the max. So I got all the above mentioned parts changed. Now it doesn't seem to cause any problems. But it concerns me because of the slight rise in temperature every now and then.

Please help. Appreciate everyone's help in regards to the same.

P.s. Can anyone please tell me where I can get the chrome molding found on the rear bumper?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
carmu said:
I own a cadillac seville sls 97 model. After an hours drive, I notice the temperature rise abit above the centre bar on the temperature gauge and then it drops down to normal. It just keeps rising and dropping.

Also when I stop the vehicle, if I don't change it to neurtral but just keep my foot on the brake lever, the vehicle just stumbles (kind of knocking feel).

Prior to this I had just changed the radiator, coolant tank, the hoses because the mechanic at the dealer workshop said that there was a leak. Initially there happened to be one, and the temperature would rise to the max. So I got all the above mentioned parts changed. Now it doesn't seem to cause any problems. But it concerns me because of the slight rise in temperature every now and then.

P.s. Can anyone please tell me where I can get the chrome molding found on the rear bumper?

As far as the temperature, don't worry about it. It's normal. When it's slightly past the middle mark, the temperature is probably about 210-220. The fans don't even kick on low speed until it gets to 225. Don't worry unless it starts climbing close to the high end of the scale. It's possible the thermostat is opening at a higher than normal temperature. You could just replace it because they're cheap, but it really sounds to me like you don't need to worry about it.

As for the problem of stumbling at stoplights, it sounds like you need to clean the throttle body (use the search feature above) and check the Idle Air Control valve. After you clean the TB, disconnect the battery for about 60 seconds to reset the learned values. The IAC may need to be replaced if the problem persists.

Have you checked for codes? Look here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
carmu said:

If you have your engine coolant temperature display always on, you "should" see a slight rise, then drop, follwed by a slight rise again, followed by a drop.

This is the fan(s) cycling on and off. There are two cooling fans at the front of the car, one called a pusher, the other called a puller. Both should come on, and stay on when either the A/C or DeFog is selected, otherwise you will see a fan on/off cycle represented by rise and drop in coolant temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
86,086 Posts
91TexasSeville said:
There are two cooling fans at the front of the car, one called a pusher, the other called a puller.
:hmm: Tex, are you sure about that? Why would one push? Wouldn't that negate the ram air effect and cause an overheat situation by basically stalling the air flow at the radiator?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Ranger