Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham...

when i put the thermostat on a high temperature, it's supposed to (it used to a few years ago) switch from blowing air out of the vents on the dash to the floor vents (by your feet). it still does this, but instead of blowing out hot air, it just blows out cold... now i've tried this when the engine's hot, and it does the same thing... would this be the heater core? or would it be something else? I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars to have it fixed, so i'm going to have to do it myself. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
709 Posts
It does sound like a blocked heater core, or a it could possibly be your heater vavle also. The best way to check is to remove the hose that comes from the valve to the heater core. The valve is located on the passenger side rear of the motor. depending on the motor your have 368 or 4100 the valve is srewed in to the manifold or it attatched to a hose that goes to the back of the cylinder head. Attach a garden hose to the heater core and let water flow through. Be careful not to use to much water pressure you don't want to rupture the core. it should flow freely. the other hose from the core goes straight to the radiator this is where you will check your flow at. You might be even able to see if water is flowing through this hose if you remove your radiator cap. If the core is clogged it is fairly simple to remove it . Its right under that plastic cover where you se those two pipes come out of. you would have to remove the blower motor and the blower regulator.and i believe a piece of the wiper cowl its all held in by 7 mm screws. God luck...

Keep us posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering if you resolved this by switching the heater core. I'm facing a similar sounding problem (see http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6073) which hasn't been solved by the heater core swap. I haven't yet attempted to replace the heater control valve on the manifold because I'm not yet sure if that's the direction to go, and my manuals leave me in the dark...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Bro' Ham