Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I embark on tearing down my engine this coming (Christmas) weekend so I can replace headgaskets I want to ask a quick question -
If the inlet to my heater core is clogged, would that impede the flow of coolant and cause my 1992 Seville with a 4.9 (non N*) engine in it?

I ask this because my Seville overheats with regularity BUT I don't get any heat from the heater (which is a real pain since it's been in the teens of late for the morning commute) - I removed a "T" fitting in the heater hose system that had broken and there were bits that I could not find. If it's just a clogged heater core I'd rather fix that than go through head gasket replacement and THEN discover it's something else!

Also - has anyone had luck re-torquing the heads? I mean my 4.9 has 124,000 miles on it - I just have a hard time with the head gaskets giving out at that tender age (especially since yesterday I rode in another '92 with 305,000 miles on the engine, and the owner had never had a head gasket problem!).

If the call is that there is a bypass for the heater core if it's clogged and I need to do the head gaskets then so be it - I've done engine rebuilds before (albiet on a 327 Small Block Chevy engine, so I've not dealt with the aluminum block before) but I've got the wrenches, torque wrench and know how to take on the job myself - I'm just disinclined to undertake the procedure if I don't "need" to.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
If the heater core were plugged it would obviously impeed flow to the heater and you'd not get heat to the cabin but, I wouldn't think it would affect engine tempurature, if that is what you are asking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts