Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so in the middle of my UUC install since i now have ramps i thought i'd check out this coolant leak i've got going. I have found the source... Is this the heater core? Any quick cheap fixes? Im going to the track Friday!!

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the first 2 pics are under the car, the last 2 are under the dash on the drivers side. Is this a runoff hose from the heater?

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
The first two pics are the drain hose for the HVAC "box" inside the car... Are you actually seeing coolant come out of that hose?

Are you seeing something on the driver side under the dash? If you are that's probably not coolant, it's probably A/C refrigerant leak dye. The A/C system is charged at the factory with leak dye and it has a green/yellow tint to it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I agree, what are you seeing come out?

It is really really rare, as in I have never seen one go bad, for a heater core to leak on one of those.
You will get water running out of that thing like crazy with the a/c on.
What color is what you are seeing?
Are you periodically getting a low coolant light?
Have you checked all other sources? Like the radiator... which is much more common.

Replacing that heater core requires some work you don't ever want to see.
I have pictures if you are brave enough.
(had to take the a/c apart on one)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've refilled my coolant thing with water and come coolant... I guess i need to up the ratio of coolant and capture some of whats coming out. I'm pretty certain it's the coolant but i want to be sure. It took about 2 weeks of this before the coolant light came on but it's a pretty large amount of liquid coming out of there. The thing is that it was dripping from that hose hours after i turned the car off although it did slow significantly. I was installing the uuc last night and kept getting the Chinese water torture! I'll confirm it's coolant, but assuming that it is, would this be the heater core?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Replacing that heater core requires some work you don't ever want to see.
I have pictures if you are brave enough.
(had to take the a/c apart on one)
Is it as bad as an Blend Door Actuator on a Deville? If so Kmajecki, don't look at the car while they're working on it- just drop it off and pick it up when it's done, becuase it's like walking in on heart surgery :)eek:).

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figures this would happen at 50,200 miles. Would an extended warranty cover this? I think i'd like to get a basic extended warranty. Im sure the maggie and shift kit would cause problems in warranty'ing the drivetrain. I would like the AC and heater/electrical system to be covered though... Maybe it is just condensation, but i dont see a large amount of liquid dripping anywhere else causing the low coolant light to come on. I'm going to pick up that brake fluid this afternoon, ill try to throw some tupperware under there and catch some of this. Sounds like heater core replacement is not a do it yourself project? I just need to stop the leak, at least until winter!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Figures this would happen at 50,200 miles. Would an extended warranty cover this? I think i'd like to get a basic extended warranty. Im sure the maggie and shift kit would cause problems in warranty'ing the drivetrain. I would like the AC and heater/electrical system to be covered though... Maybe it is just condensation, but i dont see a large amount of liquid dripping anywhere else causing the low coolant light to come on. I'm going to pick up that brake fluid this afternoon, ill try to throw some tupperware under there and catch some of this. Sounds like heater core replacement is not a do it yourself project? I just need to stop the leak, at least until winter!
Go to local srvc mgr. Tell him you need a big favor. He will likely do it under GMs customer appreciation policy (or whatever they call it). Works if you have been a fairly regular service customer.

From what I hear, Chrysler will not even talk with you when you are 1 mile out of warranty. Ford may or may not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts