Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 83 eldorado and the heater/climate controll doesnt work. i raise the temp till it says 90* and the heat doenst change. i heard that there was a wire that can come loose from the back of the controller, so i removed the under dash shrouds/covers, and i looked up to find this wire, but there was too much stuff in the way, so i went over to the fuse boxes and made sure that all of the fuses were all the way in, and reassembled the under dash shrouds. that night i turn my lights on, and the display for the fuel economy and the climate control turn off. so i turn my lights off, and the display come on. if i even turn the parking lights on, then display turns off. but last night, i turned my lights on, and the display for the fuel econ and the climate control was very slighty visible. i didnt remove any wires, and i didnt tinker with anything, so i have no idea what the problem could be, sorry to make this so long, but any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
With the temperature not changing, it sounds like the mix door has become disconnected, and with the display, it sounds like the dash illumination feed is somehow messed up.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Pull the glove box liner out and locate the threaded rod that moves the blend door. the rod connects, snaps into a white plastic lever that is attached to the blend door. Going from 60 degrees to 90, you should see the rod move. As it moves it closes and opens the blend door adding more or less heated air to the interior. If that works correctly then I would suspect a plugged heater core, but very unlikely. Please tell us that the light switch knob is not rotated to the dimmest dash illumination position? If thats not the case, then I would suspect the headlight switch itself. Hope this helps, Bill. Please report back on what you found.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it worked perfectly fine, ubtil that day that i looked under the dash. i didnt unplug anything, or tinker with anything. there is a rotating knob that the light swith rod runs through that is called "sentinal" or something to that sort, and i move it around and nothin happens. all other light on the dash are bright, its just when the light are turned on that the temp and fuel econ disply turns off, or dims greatly. right now im not going to try to fix the heater problem, its 12:45 am, but i will rty first thing in the morning. hope this help to decypher the problem, and thatks for yur input.:worship:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i removed the glove box lining, and found the white rod that connects to the blend door. i turned on my car, and raised and decreased the temp with the controls on the dash, and the arm didnt move. so i moved the arm with my hand, and hot air came out of the vents. so im guessing, since hot air came out, that it isnt a heater core problem. i moved any wiring that may be in the way, and still no movement. could it be a blown fuse? i noticed that the threaded rod that is connected to the white arm looks like it runs into the engine bay, could there be something wrong with what ever powers the metal rod? thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
the arm goes into the heater case on the engine side of the firewall. the white plastic lever attaches to an electrical motor. yes, i would ck fuses, but i would think other items would not work also. maybe dropping the under dash panels, you loosened an electrical connector to the climate control ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carnut, the reason i looked under the dash was that the climate control was already not working. but if a connector had come loose, what and where would i check? I solved the problem of the dimmed display. i was unaware of the fact that the nob that you pull out also turned to dim the display :banghead2 thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Glad you found the dash lights reostat. re: the climate control, remove the center plate surrounding the climate control head and radio. you will find two small phillips screws next to the little levers that shut off the center dash vents. they screw into the dash pad. remove those, remove the radio knobs and pry gently on the lower edges of the wood grain center plate. once removed, you will see 5/16 headed screws holding in the climate control head. remove those, pull out the control head and you will locate the wiring harness plug at its rear. depress the lock tang and remove the harness. check the brass contacts and clean with a pencil eraser. apply di-electric grease to the plug and reinstall. now if you're lucky, the system will power the blend door rod. If not, I would recommend someone familiar with the electrical system of this year car, ck it. The factory service manual is a god send regarding this system. I'd wait till I had the service manual before doing any more checking. good luck, Bill. PS. I'm getting better at using the shift button ehh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
carnut