Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well ,since this thread is going all over the place, I'm gonna steer it back to the beginning. Why does buick have it and not our Caddy? Well, this is more history that anything really causing this. However, back in the 50's, 60's, and so on GM used to put all of the gadgets on Olsmobiles the first year they were introduced. This way they could work the bugs out and the following year you would always see them on the Cadillacs. Someone older than I am may correct some of these items but I believe the examples I remember are things like new transmisions, automatic climate control,cruise control, antilock brakes, Anyhow the point point is that there no longer is Oldsmobile, so maybe GM thinks of Buick as the "new Olds." Probably not the case, but it cant hurt this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bronsonllh said:
Is there any chance that we might see a heated washer fluid option or an aftermarket add-on? I see that the buicks have it.
Wow, that would be nice wouldn't it? I just don't see how it would work though, as soon as it hit the windshield it would freeze wouldn't it?

I think it would be far better to come up with some inexpensive liquid de-icer for your fluid.

I've heard of people adding alcohol to lower the freezeing temperature of the fluid.
I'd love to see some sort of feature that would just de-ice my windshield by some other mean than me and a scraper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Ulises said:
I always thought you ran the risk of cracking your windshield if you added warm warter to an iced windshield...quote]

It's tempered glass and it withstands a lot..even boiling water.
Umm- No it won't. I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and today's daytime high was 11F with a low of 5F- and winter is just beginning. It will hit -20F easily by late December. People who don't know any better use just tap water hot on their windshields and blow them up, boiling water would definitely destroy them.

The preferred method here is to warm the car up or use an ice scrapper- assuming you have no garage to park it in. Once warmed up, all you need is normal cold weather (or even regular washer fluid). In the winter I simply use Ice Guard washer fluid.

Never use "hot" water on a frozen windshield, never.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dkozloski said:
The automatic car washes are open here in Fairbanks, Alaska year around. You drive in with an ice encrusted car at -25F or colder and it is hit with a blast of HOT! water to clear it off. I have never heard of windows cracking or shattering. Verdict! Urban Myth!
Thats because the car is running and the defroster is going- thus heating the windshield up- you could not drive without the defroster running because your breath would freeze on the windshield. I know, I live in a similar environment. Minnesota is frequently (northern part) colder then Alaska.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Robert Brandtjen said:
RobertCTS said:
Umm- No it won't. I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and today's daytime high was 11F with a low of 5F- and winter is just beginning. It will hit -20F easily by late December. People who don't know any better use just tap water hot on their windshields and blow them up, boiling water would definitely destroy them.

The preferred method here is to warm the car up or use an ice scrapper- assuming you have no garage to park it in. Once warmed up, all you need is normal cold weather (or even regular washer fluid). In the winter I simply use Ice Guard washer fluid.

Never use "hot" water on a frozen windshield, never.
Well I've done it as stupid as it maybe. Boiling water from a tea kettle on my windshield and it did not blow, explode or crack it. Man I was there!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
this thread is hilarious...it's gone all over the place...:yup: I love it.

and now we're back full circle...it's almost time for me to post another mix :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
RobertCTS said:
RobertCTS said:
Well I've done it as stupid as it maybe. Boiling water from a tea kettle on my windshield and it did not blow, explode or crack it. Man I was there!!
At what temperature?

I used to see transfer students from out of state do this and watch their windshields turn into a million cracks.

It only takes ten minutes to warm one up enough to melt the snow/ice.

However, Ford had the idea- instant heat in the windshield. Spendy though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It will only crack if there is a weak spot on the windshield (heat on a cold window). I for one do not want heated washer fluid! I had a rock chip on my car and the day i booked it in to have it repaired before it cracked, I was at the lights and watched the whole ****ing thing plit my whole windshield in 2!!! This was 2 weeks ago, man I was PISSED! The windshield place told me not to put anything hot on a chipped or already damaged windshield in cold weather untill you get them repaired.

So I had an Envoy loaner when mine was being serviced last week (a week after I broke my own windshield), was on the highway and sure enough got a rock chip on the damn thing! So I did what I was told and turned the heat off the windshield and just put it on the face and floor vents. I forgot the next morning when I started it up and let it run for 15 mins. with defrost on, and came out to go to work.... The slut was cracked into a huge smile from the bottom center to the top 2 corners!!!

I then played with it and pushed on the crack and made all sorts of neat designs with the crack on the windshield (since I already wrecked it and had to buy a new one). That was the highlight of my 2 cracked and ruined winshields so far this winter!!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Robert Brandtjen said:
RobertCTS said:
At what temperature?

I used to see transfer students from out of state do this and watch their windshields turn into a million cracks.

It only takes ten minutes to warm one up enough to melt the snow/ice.

However, Ford had the idea- instant heat in the windshield. Spendy though.
What ? Tea kettles whistle at 212 degrees. A lot of B.S. Here but I know what I saw. How many points from experience?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
I admit limited experience. I have only been driving in extreme subzero conditions for a little over fifty years. Every windshield in this area has rock chips of some type because of the gravel roads and the pea gravel spread in the winter. Every body uses their defroster with complete abandon. There is no pile of broken glass at the car wash. All this stuff about defrosters and hot water shattering even damaged windshields is complete BS dreamed up by the Lord knows who for whatever reason. Trust me! There is no argument on the subject except from those that don't mind spreading urban myths and looking ignorant. There are a heck of a lot of spider webbed windshields around here but not from hot water or defrosters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AsAkAs said:
Caddy and buick wouldn't have put it on the cars if it were gonna crack windshields. Like Robert said they're tempered and can withstand lots of extreme temperatures. I'm sure lots of testing was done with multiple low-temp high-temp exposures before they decided to run with it.

It's a cool gizmo, but I don't think it will be aftermarket availible

There is a company in farmington hills MI that markets a aftermarket system called HOTSHOT. it uses heated fluid from the engine block to defrost the windshield. the company is called MICROHEAT

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
Aircraft are de-iced at the airport with 50% ethylene glycol heated to a minimum of 145F. Windshields of large aircraft are laminated and electrically heated glass that can cost into the high five figures if not more. On some routes the same aircraft can be de-iced five or more times in the same day. I never heard of a windshield breaking while being deiced but they do break for a multitude of other reasons.

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
On a more rational note. The effects of cold winter on machinery have been the object of discussion, argument, testing, and hand to hand combat for many years. During WWll when the Boeing B-29 was a new thing, one was flown to Ladd Field, Alaska, on the edge of Fairbanks for cold weather test. Nature obliged. When the aircraft arrived and was wheeled inside the hanger the temperature was above zero. Overnight the temp dropped to sub -60F. In the morning the conjecture was, what was going to happen to the plane when it was wheeled outside the warm hanger. One group thought the structure would distort, another was sure that the difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the structure would cause the rivets to shear and the plane would fall apart. Others thought the metal would get brittle and shatter like glass. Mind you, these were engineers and scientists arguing. What really happened was even more comical. The landing gear struts went flat and the plane fell on its ass. The grease in the wheel bearings got so stiff that the wheels just slid along the ground as it was dragged back in the hanger to warm up. The AAF went to some of the local airlines and had o-ring seals for the struts custom made from low temperature rubber as had been the custon for the civilian operators for years and that problem was solved. Grease was thinned with kerosene and the wheels would turn. In a few days time the aircraft was usable.

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
Another time one of the local airtaxi operators bought a set of aircraft skis from a company in France called Fernandes. He brought the skis and an airplane to the place where I was working for installation. The skis came equipped with all the cables, rigging, and bungee springs. The stuff looked kind of cheesy to us but the guys installed the skis like he wanted. Just like in the earlier story the weather had gotten really cold, into the -60'sF. The airplane was pushed outside and refueled and the owner got ready to go. All of a sudden the rigging cables started snapping loose on the ends and flying around. The swedge fittings on the cable ends were cracking and falling off while we looked at them. We replaced the swedges with the type we had been using for years and the owner was soon on his way. The next time he came to town he told us that when he complained to the guy in France that had sold him the stuff he wouldn't believe him and insisted that the Canadians had been having no trouble. It couldn't possibly be that he was selling stuff that was inferior to American products.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
I don't know about you guyz but I like to take it easy. I just remote start the car, and finish getting ready. By the time I get out to the car it is already about 70° and ready to go. Boiling water is probally not the smartest thing I have ever heard, but I am sure your car is good enough for it. I wouldn't even want to thing about replacing a windshield for something that I did....

:farting:

·
Premium Member
29,072 Posts
The last time I drove from Fairbanks to Anchorage I was cruising along with an outside air temp of -23F. All of a sudden the windows went completely opaque white. I had to quickly lower a window to stay on the road. I ran my hand over the inside windshield and found the stuff was on the outside. A quick check of the outside temp gauge showed +21F. the temperature had jumped over 40 degrees in a couple of hundred feet. I ran the washers and wipers for a few strokes and turned the HVAC to serious defrost and the windows quickly cleared. The outside of the car was completely frosted over. Anyone wearing eyeglasses that has gone from the cold outside to a warm humid room will recognize the phenomenon. Mother nature can sometimes provide you with a thermal shock.

·
Registered
03 CTS
82 Posts
I had a 75 Chevy Caprice that had heated windshield washer fluid. An owner somewhere down the line coiled the hose from the washer pump around one the heater hoses a bunch of times then to the washer nozzle. Worked great. I always wanted to do the same with other cars I've owned but never took the time to do so. Pretty crazy of me since it probably would have taken about 10 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
dkozloski said:
I admit limited experience. I have only been driving in extreme subzero conditions for a little over fifty years. Every windshield in this area has rock chips of some type because of the gravel roads and the pea gravel spread in the winter. Every body uses their defroster with complete abandon. There is no pile of broken glass at the car wash. All this stuff about defrosters and hot water shattering even damaged windshields is complete BS dreamed up by the Lord knows who for whatever reason. Trust me! There is no argument on the subject except from those that don't mind spreading urban myths and looking ignorant. There are a heck of a lot of spider webbed windshields around here but not from hot water or defrosters.
Obviously you do have limited experience then, or a very narrow mind. I may only be 21, but I realize the reaction of heat on cold = smashed windshield! I managed to destroy 2 in the matter of days last week. Don't tell me that it was my imagination, I am totally aware of what causes the cracking. Argue it all you want, why don't you try it out on your own car, then you will see. I'd do it again to prove my point, but I feel that the cost of replacing 2 windshields already this winter is quite enough :)

41 - 60 of 106 Posts