Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
dkozloski said:
The automatic car washes are open here in Fairbanks, Alaska year around. You drive in with an ice encrusted car at -25F or colder and it is hit with a blast of HOT! water to clear it off. I have never heard of windows cracking or shattering. Verdict! Urban Myth!
Let's send this one to the myth busters on the discovery channel! :sneaky:

·
Registered
126 Posts
dkozloski said:
The automatic car washes are open here in Fairbanks, Alaska year around. You drive in with an ice encrusted car at -25F or colder and it is hit with a blast of HOT! water to clear it off. I have never heard of windows cracking or shattering. Verdict! Urban Myth!
Well that's settled.

-25F!!!!
:bonkers: That is NUTS!!!! I would never leave the house!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,071 Posts
-15F is a normal low temp for the time of year. We're enjoying a heat wave at the moment, +25F. The normal high for the day is +5F. Record low for the date -53F. All time record low for the area is -79.6F

·
Registered
25 Posts
RobertCTS said:
i'VE HEARD THAT BEFORE BUT WHAT IS THE SCIENCE THAT CAUSES THAT?
Robert:

Here's a little light reading for you

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html

I've actually experianced this before. I'm a mechanical engineer specializing in HVAC systems, and have seen hot water coils freeze in an air handling unit, while the chilled water coils remained safe. This usually happened during an unoccupied building period and the water in the coils probably balanced out to even temperatures prior to the failure. IMHO, something had to have changed in the water (renyolds nubmer/specific gravity/vapor pressure) that causes previuosly heated water to freeze first.

So basically. . .take two sealed "pots" of water, heat one up, allow it to cool to the same temperature as the non-heated water and place both in the freezer. The one with the heated water will freeze first...........or maybe I'm full of $hit???? :confused:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Okay, I have no first hand knowledge of a windshield actually breaking from boiling water, but I can easily imagine that it's possible enough not to try it.
I use cold water when needed.
I used the term "explode" in quotes to indicate total destruction, not an actual explosion that would send glass flying.
Sorry for the confusion. I don't plan on actually trying it.
I can see how it's possible.
Isn't pyrex tempered glass? Try putting some pyrex in the freezer and then pouring boiling water in it.... now that is one I have SEEN with my own eyes ;)
To clarify, my older sister is a natural blonde!:histeric:

·
Premium Member
29,071 Posts
An australian engineer wrote an extensive article in Scientific American magazine some years ago on this subject. When tap water is heated, the dissolved gases are liberated, which reduces the solute material concentration, and raises the freezing point slightly just as if the solution were diluted with distilled water. He also made the statement that this is an area where you can experiment at home and there is such a wealth of variables you can get almost any results you like. The preheated water freezing first is not a myth but you're indeed picking the flysh!t out of the pepper. (dealing with a small variable)

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
go to www.microheat.com they have video of the system listed above. It promises 30 second heat up time and two minutes to melt an ice covered windshield. You don't have to preheat car and sends steam through line to clear ice before sending fluid to windshield. Check it out. I'm buying three!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 06 DTS is using a hot water system that's been around as an after market item called "HotShot". It's avail. for about $149 on the internet for the older caddies. http://www.microheat.com/hotshot/why.asp
The 06 DTS also has an all-rubber wiper blade. There is no exposed metal frame to support ice build-up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
collapsed said:
Not to mention that warmer water freezes faster. So therefore, when you leave the house in the morning in the winter time and spray the windshield you get a ice glaze much faster. :) great!
Not true. The rate of cooling is faster because of the greater difference in temperature but it still takes longer to freeze than water that starts off cooler.

·
Registered
78 Deville 10 CTS-V Sedan M6 10 SRX Turbo Premium
252 Posts
Tyler80 said:
It seems odd that Buick would have that feature before Cadillac or at least that the entire Cadillac line up would get that feature before it moved onto a different brand.
Actually all Cadillac Cateras have this feature along with a heat washer nozzles.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack
49 Posts
The systems offered on the new cars are a frightfully expensive solution. Over 20 years ago someone sold a kit for $10 to spray heated water onto your windshield using a small heat exchanger made of a D shaped hose wrapped around your upper radiator hose. Helical twisty thing that put the flat of the D against the hot hose, and all you had to do was splice your hose from the washer pump to feed through it. A couple of hose barbs, some tie wraps and 5 minute install. Easy, and safe, because even if HOT water can crack your glass from uneven heating - and it happens all the time, ask a glass repair shop! - the water is only at your under hood temp and gradually warms up as it sprays out of the nozzles, and can't get any hotter than the fairly limited heat exchange capacity of the hose lets it. Works very well without the 'smearing' mentioned caused by the alcohol evaporating and leaving the water and soap behind. Great in the summer too as it melts the gooey bugs right off with one squirt. Very easy to do yourself for a few $, all you need is a couple of hose barbs, a few feet of stiff hose that won't collapse when it gets hot (easy to buy at ANY auto parts store in bulk), and to help round hose work better, as the D shaped is hard to find, some foam insulation to wrap out side of it, and some silver foil tape for the outside to hold the heat in and make the bulge on your radiator hose look neater. Unless you have a fear of the knife needed to cut the washer hose, no real problems, and it can be removed in minutes if need be. I mod my vehicles this way all the time, as I can no longer find the pre made item.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack
49 Posts
onephatguy said:
Let's send this one to the myth busters on the discovery channel! :sneaky:
At that temp, anything that's not solid is hot to an Alaskan! Water at 40 degrees will steam and feel hot. Just for fun, at -20, when you spit it hits the ground hard. Warm/hot is something that has to be taken in context!

·
Premium Member
29,071 Posts
When it is -50F outside, if you step to the door and throw a cup of hot water into the air, none of it hits the ground and it makes the most incredible sound.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
dkozloski said:
When it is -50F outside, if you step to the door and throw a cup of hot water into the air, none of it hits the ground and it makes the most incredible sound.
That sounds like so much fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well ,since this thread is going all over the place, I'm gonna steer it back to the beginning. Why does buick have it and not our Caddy? Well, this is more history that anything really causing this. However, back in the 50's, 60's, and so on GM used to put all of the gadgets on Olsmobiles the first year they were introduced. This way they could work the bugs out and the following year you would always see them on the Cadillacs. Someone older than I am may correct some of these items but I believe the examples I remember are things like new transmisions, automatic climate control,cruise control, antilock brakes, Anyhow the point point is that there no longer is Oldsmobile, so maybe GM thinks of Buick as the "new Olds." Probably not the case, but it cant hurt this thread.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts