Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Crystal Red CTS AWD / DI
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket fix for this option? I really do not want to have to give it up as that is a one way street, once done cannot be undone.

EK

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
regardless of the comparison testing..GM decided to delete the option and do the recall....as it is a NHTSA engineering recall, if your car ever goes into a GM dealer for service, that dealer is legally required to check the car against all recalls and perform the recall, with or without owners permission, for legal reasons and cannot release it back to the customer for safety reasons until the recall is completed...

Bottomline while there maybe a "fix" to the original issue, if the service bulletin is followed properly, I beleive its cant be reversed?!.....I personally never use the feature.....so you can replace the unit with the new one...and never take the car back in to a Cadillac dealer for service or warranty work in order to maintain the feature....

Of course all the above assumes the dealer service department is competent in the first place......

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...if your car ever goes into a GM dealer for service, that dealer is legally required to check the car against all recalls and perform the recall, with or without owners permission, for legal reasons and cannot release it back to the customer for safety reasons until the recall is completed...
Wrong. See the Recall Bulletin instructions to GM dealers:

"Q12. What should I do if a customer refuses to have the recall service procedure performed on his/her vehicle?

A12. If a customer initially declines the recall repair, please make sure that he/she fully understands the possible consequences. An unattended (vehicle parked - key not on) under hood fire that can occur at any time and possibly involve nearby vehicles or structures. If the customer still refuses, please document this event on a repair order for his/her signature and appropriate dealership retention."

That said, I don't know why anyone would refuse GM's generous $100 recall compensation which exceeds the cost of AlphaTherm's improved aftermarket replacement unit.

Bottomline while there maybe a "fix" to the original issue, if the service bulletin is followed properly, I beleive its cant be reversed?!
Wrong again.

The aftermarket AlphaTherm replacement unit is virtually plug-n-play after recall service has been performed by an authorized GM dealer. See forum member exm22psu's firsthand experience here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/202963-heated-washer-fluid-recall-done-4.html#post2321404

...so you can replace the unit with the new one...and never take the car back in to a Cadillac dealer for service or warranty work in order to maintain the feature....
Wrong again, again...

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
.....so you can replace the unit with the new one...and never take the car back in to a Cadillac dealer for service or warranty work in order to maintain the feature....
The dealer will disconnect the unit and log it on you vehicle records that it has been completed, they
would not go back and disconnect your Alphatherm replacement unit the next time you bring your car in for service.

The new unit comes with everything to install the new model (after the original has been removed) except the fuse...and yes, it is virtually plug 'n' play. Even if a fire were to result from the replacement, the liability should fall back on Alphatherm at this point, but I seriously doubt there would be a problem based on the upgrades they made to the unit.

After GM removes the factory heater, the new unit is just an add-on accessory...some people may want it and other may not...just like 22" rims or fuzzy dice.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
ok all well and good..however it makes one wonder if the new improved unit "fixes" the issue then why wouldnt the new renamed company want to work with GM and replace the existing "bad" units. I believe there has been discussion on this one as well.....

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
I really don't know. Why doesn't GM offer Onstar upgrades for those missing bluetooth? I don't know. Absolutely no offense, but I'm pretty much done with this topic. I guess if my car catches fire, we'll know that the problem wasn't fixed. No one is forcing anyone to get the replacement, the info is for those that do.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
ok all well and good..however it makes one wonder if the new improved unit "fixes" the issue then why wouldnt the new renamed company want to work with GM and replace the existing "bad" units. I believe there has been discussion on this one as well.....
Yes, it was thoroughly discussed in the "Heated Washer Fluid recall...done!" thread.

Long story. OEM manufacturer MicroHeat was bankrupted by the first GM recall. MicroHeat's investors started a new company AlphaTherm and purchased MicroHeat's assets from the bankruptcy trustee. Then in the absence of GM's OEM business, AlphaTherm sold, dismantled, and relocated one of its two production lines to a South Korean company under a licensing agreement.

AlphaTherm further explains: "GM did contact AlphaTherm weeks prior to the recall and inquired about obtaining units. Unfortunately, due to production capacity, AlphaTherm is unable to produce enough products to support GMs recall efforts. However, AlphaTherm is capable of producing tens of thousands of the AT-37GM units which enable us to offer them as GM replacements on an individual basis."

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT
174 Posts
I've tried my best to follow these threads since the recall announcement, so forgive me if this question has already been asked. Does the button on the dash (for the GM installed unit) still control the improved AlphaTherm unit?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yes, the control button functions exactly the same with either the OEM HWFS or the aftermarket AlphaTherm replacement.

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC
89 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the 60A fuse for the washer heater? The owners manual does not list it. Or is this just a standard 60A auto fuse?

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I don't have the part number, but I just went to an auto parts store and got one. It's a cartridge style 60 AMP fuse ... shouldn't be a problem at all. I even double checked it before I left the auto parts store and it was the right one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
FWIW, here's another tidbit for anyone mulling over the aftermarket AlphaTherm AT-37GM replacement unit ($67.95 USD). A 10% forum discount ($6.80 USD) is now available, expiration unknown. Enter promotional code: web716 . No, I'm not affiliated with AlphaTherm.

·
Registered
'08 CTS
91 Posts
The discount still appears to be valid. Follow the link and paste in the code. Unfortunately the discount is more than made up for by shipping costs.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
...Unfortunately the discount is more than made up for by shipping costs.
Yes, but fortunately the total delivered cost of the AlphaTherm AT-37GM was more than made up for by the $100 (USD) recall compensation from GM.

$100.00 ... GM Recall Compensation
- $67.95 ... AlphaTherm AT-37GM
+ $ 6.80 ... Discount promotion code: web716
- $12.75 ... S&H, varies per destination address
=$26.10 ... in my pocket :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts