Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here in frigid New Jersey, heated seats are really nice to have on a polar bear butt cold morning. I had a 2002 Eldorado ETC with heated seats and a 2009 XLR. Two settings, lo and high. Never used high since it would roast my ass off. The lo setting was sufficient. In the V, I have it set to the highest setting, and it is just not terribly warm. Both seats are the same way, so cannot be a defective seat. Has anyone used theirs and what is your opinion of them?

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT Sedan
36 Posts
I've come to the same conclusion. I'm also in NJ and I generally leave them on the highest setting. I do wish they got a bit hotter. My wife drives a Hyundai Veloster and her seats get toasty warm and I had a 350Z that also toasted your buns nicely. I honestly thought the seat heater was broken the first time I used it. It may be worth noting I have the Recaro seats. I wonder if this is related to the Recaros?

·
Registered
183 Posts
My heated seats work great. I use them frequently in Washington and I start off on high and then lower it to medium after 5 minutes. I wish I had a heated steering wheel. I use that often in the Audi Q5.

·
Registered
'17 ATS-V Phantom Grey Sedan 8AT
178 Posts
Some ATS-V's seat heaters worked so well that they burst into flames! I remember seeing at least 2 car fires from that, about 2-3 years ago.

Mine get OK-hot... It does matter what you're wearing too. Thinner, more synthetic fabrics will allow you to feel the heat better.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some ATS-V's seat heaters worked so well that they burst into flames! I remember seeing at least 2 car fires from that, about 2-3 years ago.

Mine get OK-hot... It does matter what you're wearing too. Thinner, more synthetic fabrics will allow you to feel the heat better.
I usually wear Adidas warm up pants which is synthetic fiber and on high, barely feel anything. Next time I have the car in service, I will have them check out both seats. They are both the same way. Like I said with my Eldorado and XLR, I would wear jeans and have to keep the seats on low because they got too hot on high

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V 6M Sedan
166 Posts
My driver side Recaro barely worked, but it quit working somewhere after 50,000 miles. By far, they are the worst seat heaters of any car I've owned

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
My driver side Recaro barely worked, but it quit working somewhere after 50,000 miles. By far, they are the worst seat heaters of any car I've owned
I totally agree with you. My girlfriend's A5 will toast my ass on anything above 4 out of 6 settings

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been using the seat heaters in the V recently and they are ok but not as warm as my '13 F150 or my '03 VW Jetta (sold to make room for the V).
I try varying the settings to see if I can tell the difference and it seems the highest setting is when I feel any heating at all on the driver's side.

Most of the time, I'm in khaki shorts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wonder if they held back the higher heat settings due to the Alcatara? Which I believe is the reason there's no heated steering wheel for the Vs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wonder if they held back the higher heat settings due to the Alcatara? Which I believe is the reason there's no heated steering wheel for the Vs.
Well that's an interesting hypothesis LNF. Certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it's tough to understand intent with the written word, but there are emoji's for that reason. Jguerdat put a smiley face after his statement which means he was just being funny.
Hey Glennhl....These days, people gloss over things that are wrong by saying things like "it was just a joke", "I was just kidding"..."I didn't mean it"....."my bad"..yada, yada, yada....As Richard Nixon so famously said, and I quote, "I can tell anyone, anything I want, no matter how bad it is just so long as I say it with a smile on my face" ...He wasn't called Tricky Dick for nothing! Words will always mean far more than some stupid emoji

·
Registered
36 Posts
Folks, we've got a good conversation about how wonderful vehicles pamper our buns with the gift of warmth. Lets not loose focus.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bet jguerat is somewhere in a warm area of the country. How about keeping it civil jguerdat? No need for name calling is there?
18deg here in NYC. Horrible. At least he began with typing a W instead of P !

Anyway, my heaters work quite nice and I wear Lee cotton jeans most of the time. I just wish it would turn off sooner than my @ss burning. It's like I gotta get it off the seat like I'm gonna fart. (Sorry, ladies)

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
447 Posts
I bet jguerat is somewhere in a warm area of the country. How about keeping it civil jguerdat? No need for name calling is there?
Sorry, no name calling meant. I live in Rochester, NY where it's currently 4F (after being -1F). It's only been in the 2000s that I've had any car with heated seats which sometimes I forget to turn on.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, no name calling meant. I live in Rochester, NY where it's currently 4F (after being -1F). It's only been in the 2000s that I've had any car with heated seats which sometimes I forget to turn on.
No problem jguerdat. How do you find them when you do remember to turn them on? Rochester is much colder than in NJ. I went to college in New Paltz, and that was cold enough for me!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,860 Posts
Thread title - "Heated seats - your opinions?" - for my Seville the seat heaters are OK but unnecessary for us - when they all work. Plagued with resistance wire breaks, the flap to remove the seat leathers and pads, solder the break(s) and replace it all is a hassle. Even the later replacement heater pads are nowhere near bulletproof. Been there, done that on other Sevilles and Devilles. Of course, eastern Maryland is a tad more temperate than upstate NY or Baudette, MN.

Somehow I survived winters in New London, CT while driving an essentially unheated MG-TD and Austin Healey. (but that was back in '59 - '65)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts