Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2003 SLS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2003 Seville SLS, the driver's side seat heater is not working. The button lights up and cycles through high, low, and off, but there is no heat. The passenger's side works normally. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
778 Posts
Broken wire in the seat.

The seat has a resistor wire winding around. Its connected at the rear to two wires down to the harness. Flexing of the seat, flexes the wires, leading to a break - typically at the rear.

I've repaired a couple. Pull the seat cover. You'll find a burn thru mark indicating the location of the break. Connect the broken wire with a 2" loop of wire (solder). The loop will absorb the flex of the seat.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,262 Posts
Very common recurring problem. If you turn on the affected seat heater button and listen under the seat you'll hear a clicking - it's the circuit breaker tripping.

Takes some upholstery work. There's a newer set of seat heater pads in the field - you completely disassemble the seats and insert the pads. (Easy way out - get the pads and take the car to an automotive upholstery shop).

I'm on my third seat heater jumper wire soldering fix .........

2002-2003 seat heater pads.gif

·
2003 SLS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broken wire in the seat.

The seat has a resistor wire winding around. Its connected at the rear to two wires down to the harness. Flexing of the seat, flexes the wires, leading to a break - typically at the rear.

I've repaired a couple. Pull the seat cover. You'll find a burn thru mark indicating the location of the break. Connect the broken wire with a 2" loop of wire (solder). The loop will absorb the flex of the seat.
Thank you very much for this information. I will dig into this in the next couple of weeks (I hope) and I will report back. Thanks for the guidance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts