Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum, so bear with me. I recently purchased the cupholders that go in a 2005 Escalade Platinum. The part number is 10399101. It costs about $175 on GM Parts Direct. Anyway, I installed it into my regular 05 Escalade that did not have these cooled cup holders. Install went well. It works fine, but I have a question. There are three wires for the cupholders, Black, Red, and Blue. To get it to work, I connected black to ground and the red and blue to 12 volt power. The unit would not work without both wires connected to power. I have tested the system in a new Platinum and the indicator lights next to the buttons dom when the headlights go on, of course mine doesn't dim. I'd like it to, but can't find a blue wire in the console area that has to do with dimming. The blue line apparently needs power normally and a lesser voltage when the headlights come on. Any idea of where I could find a wire for this in the console area. It is a dark blue wire.
Besides this, it works great. it is a self contained item. I have now gotten 2 more units to go in an 03 Escalade and a Yukon. I will have to modify them to fit in these cars, but it should be worth it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT (Sold)
260 Posts
Do you have pics of this setup? When you say you would have to modify them to fit, do you mean for the earlier escalade as well as the Yukon or only the yukon?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
486 Posts
Great Post!

As far as I was aware the ESV Plat Cup Holders only heated and cooled the specific mugs for the truck? Did you have to modify the plastic at all?

·
Registered
2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3
635 Posts
benamaster said:
Great Post!

As far as I was aware the ESV Plat Cup Holders only heated and cooled the specific mugs for the truck? Did you have to modify the plastic at all?
It'll heat up any container you put in the cup holders... no unique cup is required...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the picture that JRS02CADDYEXT posted is the same item I installed into the 05 Escalade. This was easy because the console is the same as in the Platinum. AS for the other Escalade I have, it is a 02 =(not 03 as I stated) ans will need to be modified. The new Escalade console is slitly diferent than the one on the 02. The trucks have the same body, but the console is not quite the same. The heated/cooled cup unit includes the electronics, a little fan and radiator type thing, all under the cup surface. The unit also includes the top plastic stuff about 4inches in front and 2 inches behind: the 2 wood looking doors, and the shale colored top trim on the sides of the console. The whole section has to pop out of your current car and is replaced, so that is why I say I will have to modify it a little for the 02 Escalade and the 03 Yukon. THe consoles are not the same.

Also, on the 05 Escalade, I did have to change out the shale colored part thet came on the new cupholder unit. My 05 is puter (grey). I used a heat gun to heat up 9 little plastic tabs on the back side of the unit. Then I could take off the outside edge bezzle and switch them. It was not hard to do.

On the 02 Escalade and especially on the 03 Yukon, I will have to not only take off the bezzle, but also trim down the size of the unit. The Yukon console us an inch or so smaller. In the 02 Escalade, the only problem is that hte bezzles arent the same. I can probably take the back part of the unit (black plastic part with the heating/cooling and cups) and install that under the bezzel and doors existing in the 02.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, if you want to know if the heated/cooled cupholder unit will fit in your Denali or older Escalade, drive to the local Caddy dealer and look inside of the Platinum or current Escalade. If the consoles are the same, then you can probably swap out the unit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just spoke to my dealership in Southern California. I could purchase the unit for my '05 and they would install it at $85.00 an hr, as well as warranty the installation for 12,000 miles. They were not sure if there is a wireing harness for the unit or how long it take if they had to wire it in. I would estimate no more thane 2 hours .

D

·
0 Posts
Did you buy them from gmparts direct or somewhere else? The part number comes up as bezel, just want to be sure before I order.

D>Brisson 04 Black escade

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bezel is the correct discription of the unit. I confirmed it with parts dept. of the dealership. I would definently purchase from GMParts Direct. List from dealer was aroung $340.00, GMParts direct is $147.00.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It does work very well. I did buy it from GMpartsdirect.com, and it is very easy to install if you have an 05. I wouldn't buy it from a dealer or have them put it in. Since a regular 05 is not supposed to have this, and the wireing harnes is not just plug-and-play, they will charge to much for the install. Anyone with simle do-it-yourself knowledge can do it. Just splice in to a couple of wiers, you can simply use the lines for the existing lighter. As far as posting pics, I don't see how it would help. If i took a pic of it installed, it would look just like the pic posted above from the Platinum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Marcus6374.. Are you sure the part number is correct. I looked it up for my 05 and it is listed as follows:
GM PART # 10399101
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $306.45
OUR PRICE: $174.68
DESCRIPTION: BEZEL

I wanted to make sure it is the correct part number before oerdring it. I may have a solution for your blue wire issue, but want to try it first. BTW, is the color black. Thanks for the help and idea!!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts