Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 deville dosent have an "acc off" button like my 97 seville had. does this mean that wen i run my heat my compressor will be running too?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,235 Posts
hogstamogsta said:
my 96 deville dosent have an "acc off" button like my 97 seville had. does this mean that wen i run my heat my compressor will be running too?:confused:
You have an "ECON" button which is essentially an A/C off button. In AUTO, the A/C will run til the outside temp gets down to about 35 degrees, or when ever DEFROST is requested at any tempurature.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
OK, I see in my manual for my 94 that when you choose ECON the compressor stays off. It also says that when you choose AUTO, the compressor will cycle on as needed to keep the temparature cool. So what I gather is that if you have to temp set higher for heat, the compressor shouldn't be on. I need to look at the compressor and test this out.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,235 Posts
I think the idea is that the compressor runs even in the heat mode above 35 degrees ambient temps to dry out the cabin air. Personally, I run ECON below about 60-65 degrees ambient.

·
Registered
Black '99 Deville
75 Posts
Caddy's have an automatic cabin temp system. They have had it since the late '50's; it is a Caddy trademark. You set the desired temperature and the system automatically turns on heat or air conditioning as required. You set cabin temp for say 72. Get in the car in the cool of the early morning and the heat will come on to take the chill off. Keep going into the heat of the day and the heat will go off and the AC will come on to maintain that 72 degree setpoint.
The auto/econ button will kill the AC compressor to save on gas in the econ position. In "econ" the fans run for cooling but the compressor stays off.
I hit "econ" when I have the windows down, 'cause it feels so spendy to be running the AC with the breeze blowing in the open windows. To get really fresh air in nice weather, I set the cabin temp as low as it will go to keep the heat off, and select "econ" to keep the AC off.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
It is my experience that these cars were designed for the auto climate control to run all the time.
It really doesn't require (much) extra energy or (greatly) increase RPMs.
I doubt you would notice any lower MPG with the compresor running...I haven't.

My friend, who is a Cadillac Tech, suggested that in older OBD I systems, the AC must be functioning and turned on for the diagnostics to run as expected, since the climate control was used to interface with the diagnostics.
My advice is for you to set the temperature so you are comfortable:
A/C when it's hot or raining and Econ when it's not.

Anyway, this information has proved useful and truthful for me.
Post back any information you may have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts