Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came home from work and my wife said that she saw on the news that they were talking about how HOT heat can damage electronics.....

This weekend is supposed to hit record high 100+degrees where I live, and the news people said that it can be bad for those w/ vehicles that have headrest monitors, etc, that direct sunlight can hit..

Do you think thats possible???? Mine is ALWAYS garaged at home AND work (underground parking), so no worries, but I do go shopping at the malls etc, and its parking outside...

·
Registered
873 Posts
The only direct electronic that really gets scorched by the sun is my radar detector, and it has been taking heat for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
Well, I came home from work and my wife said that she saw on the news that they were talking about how HOT heat can damage electronics.....

This weekend is supposed to hit record high 100+degrees where I live, and the news people said that it can be bad for those w/ vehicles that have headrest monitors, etc, that direct sunlight can hit..

Do you think thats possible???? Mine is ALWAYS garaged at home AND work (underground parking), so no worries, but I do go shopping at the malls etc, and its parking outside...
The most common heat related damage is melting, warping the plastic housings of whatever electronics you are talking about. If it's hot enough, the circuit boards could theoretically warp and break some of the solder connections, but it'd have to get pretty darn hot to do that. (side note, this is a problem with the Xbox 360, warping circuit boards...anyway, where was I?)

LCD screens are a little different, but not really in a bad way. The LCD stands for Liquid-Crystal Display. And those little crystals are somewhat temperature sensitive. Fortunately it's rarely a permanent issue. What you may find is that if the car get's hot enough, the screens will be blank. That's because the crystals are not responding properly to the electrical input they normal get. But as it cools down the crystals will begin to respond and the screens should operate fine. The opposite is also true regarding cool. Very cold temps will "freeze" the crystals and make them very slow to respond. Warming them up to normal temps brings them back. Most screens have an operating range of temps (abhout 0C to 60C, or 32F to 140F). Outside that range, they will not operate "properly." Severe heat may cause permanent damage, but then you might be more concerned with putting out the fire inside your car than whether or not you can watch a movie...

·
Registered
145 Posts
The heat out here in Vegas is hard on the interiors. I had worked at a dealership here and we recorded interior temperatures upward to 165 degrees. If a monitor is in direct sunlight it will black out. Cell phone screens have turned black, plastic cups from starbucks have warped, it get's hot here. I just watched the news and we sould be around 110 to 115 degrees next week. It's 11:45 PM right now and 90 degrees. So in answer to your question, yes heat will affect electronics to a certain extent.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
i agree with everyone..so add a fan?

im back
Anything to circulate outside air into the vehicle will help to some degree. Remember, at 165 degrees, even 110 is cooler. You won't see 70 deg interiors, but you could possibly get the interior down to 120 or so. Even cracking the windows would help a little, though not much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts