Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a heads-up: While my car was on the lift at Wait4Me Performance last week, Jesse noticed that the CV boots on my Gforce axles were bulging and mis-shaped.

I took the car back to RPM Transmissions (who installed the axles) today, and we discovered that this was caused by the boots sliding down the axle shaft. They tightened the clamps, which were already very tight, but we could still slide the boots down the axles by hand. We ended up putting a hose clamp on the axle inside of the boot, in addition to the external claimp, to hold the boot in place. This worked great, but the issue seems to have been caused by the fact that the Gforce axles are smooth across their entire surface that contacts the end of the boot, while the stock axle apparently has a couple of nubs that hold the clamp in place.

Obviously, the boot sliding down the axle puts strain on the boot. I'm no engineer, but it looked like leaving it in this position could cause the boot to fail at some point. And I assume slinging the axle grease out of the boot would be very messy and noisy too, if/when the axle failed.

I sent Chris at Gforce this picture, and RPM talked to him too - he indicated to both of us that hadn't seen this happen before. Still, I wanted to give everyone a heads-up, since I doubt this is a unique situation and may be happening without folks knowing it yet.

Chris - if you see this, any additional comments from you would be welcome, of course.

Guy

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
18 Posts
Kinda curious on this my self. I placed an order with Chris several days ago and I'm currently waiting on the axles to be made and shipped a couple hours to me.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Just a heads-up: While my car was on the lift at Wait4Me Performance last week, Jesse noticed that the CV boots on my Gforce axles were bulging and mis-shaped.

I took the car back to RPM Transmissions (who installed the axles) today, and we discovered that this was caused by the boots sliding down the axle shaft. They tightened the clamps, which were already very tight, but we could still slide the boots down the axles by hand. We ended up putting a hose clamp on the axle inside of the boot, in addition to the external claimp, to hold the boot in place. This worked great, but the issue seems to have been caused by the fact that the Gforce axles are smooth across their entire surface that contacts the end of the boot, while the stock axle apparently has a couple of nubs that hold the clamp in place.

Obviously, the boot sliding down the axle puts strain on the boot. I'm no engineer, but it looked like leaving it in this position could cause the boot to fail at some point. And I assume slinging the axle grease out of the boot would be very messy and noisy too, if/when the axle failed.

I sent Chris at Gforce this picture, and RPM talked to him too - he indicated to both of us that hadn't seen this happen before. Still, I wanted to give everyone a heads-up, since I doubt this is a unique situation and may be happening without folks knowing it yet.

Chris - if you see this, any additional comments from you would be welcome, of course.

Guy
Guy,

Thanks for the heads up, we havent seen this from anyone else. I'll have to look up when you ordered your axles but I think we have changed to a different boot now.

Thanks
Chris

G

·
It looks like when the boot slides down the axle it's creating a vacuum and collapsing the boot. Maybe you should have clamped it with more air inside the boot. From the title of your thread it sounds like there is something actually wrong with the axles. I wouldn't really consider an isolated issue with a purchased rubber boot a design flaw.

I haven't had a single issue with my Gforce axles.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian - I don't disagree with you, except the guys at RPM were critical of the Gforce axles because there isn't a lip or some "nubs' on the axles to keep the boot from sliding down the axle. That's the reason that I used the word "design" in the thread title, but I also made it in the alternative ("installation/design").

Along those lines - you're exactly right about the vacuum. As soon as we released the clamp and air entered the boot, it sprang right back into shape. When we reclamped it, we tried to keep more air in the boot.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Really, you don't need a lip. The lip is there on a production axle to aid in expedient placement durning assembly. It looks as if the boot was simply crimped into position to far out on the axle and when it "settled" it pulled a vacuum and collapsed the boot. If the boot hard been crimped down in the right location the first time, it wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really, you don't need a lip. The lip is there on a production axle to aid in expedient placement durning assembly. It looks as if the boot was simply crimped into position to far out on the axle and when it "settled" it pulled a vacuum and collapsed the boot. If the boot hard been crimped down in the right location the first time, it wouldn't have happened.
That's an understandable theory, but incorrect. I saw the boot after the axles were initially installed by RPM and it was nowhere near the location you see in the picture above. It definitely slid down the axle at some point. Of course, that begs the question of whether the clamp was tight enough, but I tested it myself and it seemed quite tight to me. And I don't think anyone can really dispute that a lip in that location (like OEM axles have) would prevent the clamp from sliding.

But Chris from Gforce raised a great point with me today, which is that he felt that a lip or a groove in that location to hold the clamp in place might weaken the axle compared to its current configuration - and the last thing he wants to do is weaken the axle. That makes perfect sense to me.

And don't think that any of this is meant by me to be a criticism of Gforce or my Gforce axles. I love the axles. As my thread title indicates, I just wanted to give others - including Gforce - a heads-up so that the issue might be avoided by others who either have the axles now or might be installing them in the future.

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
Maybe a better thing to do here, would be to have the title of the thread changed
to eliminate the word :suspect: "DESIGN".

It's clear that the title of the thread should be, ~ "Boot Inspection-Installation Issue" ~

Lip = Stress Riser = point of failure

Gforce is correct :thumbsup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe a better thing to do here, would be to have the title of the thread changed
to eliminate the word "DESIGN"
Based on this discussion, I'm fine with that! Moderator??

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
No worries guys, actually the boot slides up and down a bit even with the clamp on. And like I said, this is a strange situation as I have not seen this on any axles we sell for any cars.

Thanks
Chris @ Gforce

·
Registered
2011 CTS V
316 Posts
What is the boot size or part # for the an cts v 05 econo boot? I bought mine from you guys along time ago and the boot is ripped and I want to replace it.

Is there a Part Number you can send me so I can go to AutoZone and pick a new one up?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
I haven't seen this issue on my gforce econo axles. The boots haven't moved at all and I'm just using the supplied clamps.

A lip isn't necessary. But you could knurl the surface to give it a better chance of "gripping".

·
Registered
Black 2005 CTS-V
94 Posts
I need a new axle boot. The kit is no longer availabe I see. Can I still order a boot for this kit? Link? Info?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts