Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts, info, suggestions please. I am looking to install a HEADREST MONITOR DVD system in my ’99 Deville Concours (within the next year) I don’t think a flip-down system (overhead) would work as the Concours has the extra two flip-down illuminated vanity mirrors in the rear. That would be just too much going on up there. (Plus, do I really need ANOTHER blind spot in that car?)

Systems: So far I have come across ICON and ACCELLE. Both seem to use an FM modulator(?) to send the audio to the radio. (I do something similar now with my portable DVD player with O.K. results). Headrest monitors come in various sizes, 5” being the size I find most frequently (seems small?) and 7” being the largest I think I can consider (to fit the headrest). I would like these installed permanently as opposed to the ones I see bolted on to the supports.

Player: So then-where do I put the DVD player itself? The glove box? In the center console bin? Under the seat (any room there?)? I have a HUGE music DVD collection so while I will never be enjoying the video content (lucky passengers!) I will be enjoying the audio and will be switching the discs as often as I switch CDs. And I would like this hard-wired-not a visible plug going into a lighter outlet.

Installation: I guess I purchase whatever system via internet and find an installer. Do the big box retailers do installs on products (brands) they do not sell? (Do I want the big box guys even doing the install?) Do the guys doing this as specialty shops do this? And as I am admittedly a complete techno/mechanical MORON-will they see me coming and take me for a billion-dollar ride? What might I/should I expect to pay?

Security: Most of the time it will be just audio in use. The monitors can be covered. In my thinking, this is the beauty of Deville ownership. Everyone assumes this car is a Grandpa car so I am already having dorky looking headrest ‘cozies’ crocheted/knitted (lined for extra hide-ability). Unless I am followed home, HOPEFULLY no one will give this a second look.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm not sure where in NJ you are but a freind of mine owns a shop (actually he's got like 4 shops I think) that does custom installs of those video systems. Norman's Auto Glass & Upholstery you can call them at 609-587-3700 and see if he has a shop near you or at least ask him some questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

BUILDINGCTSAMG: Thanks for the info. Those look like tremendous monitors! Wanna trade cars??????? Seriously though, where is your DVD player located/mounted? I understand-completely different cars…but where does it go? And what brand? And any problems with skipping?

Katshot: THANKS! I’m a (609) guy myself. Right across the river. At least on weekends. (410) during the week. That’s what I love about these forums-where else would I ever find these resources? And I know Newtown-every Friday night (after 11:30) on my trip back north-that stretch on 95 after the RT 1 exit-everyone flies by and cuts me off as they swerve into Newtown. Well, they used to…back when I had the Accord…

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Re: Thanks...

Actually jersey i saved money and used my playstation two as my dvd player, quite awesome. i finnaly got my car back today, ill post pictures tom cause its raining right now. The car is awesome

Ill tell you where u can put the dvd players, my bro works at a car audio/video place
1. Under the passenger seat (Real convenient if itll fit)
2. Glove box
3. Custom armrest console
4. (What i have cause im somewhat cheap) in the trunk screwed to the back of the seats, like you would do to an amp.
5.Build a shelve in the trunk as an amp rack my friend has that and its nice looking

·
Registered
630 Posts
You may want to check out the "In dash" DVD/MP3/CD Players > as far as your monitors go I wouldn't buy the 5" they are way too small > 6" or if you can fit the 7" i would highly recommend them > shop price on all your Mobile Video and if you go with the headrest monitors make sure they come with the headrest Shrouds for easy installation. As far as the Installation goes shop around and look for shops that do "Quality" Installations and can show you Pics they have done to their customers vehicles. Finally Ask about the Warranty on Equipment and Labor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
SoundAdvantage