Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 99 STS I recently bought was smoked in by the previous owner and there are some nasty nicotine stains on the headliner...what can do to clean this without the liner falling? I have had that happen on an older GM before and it is a pain to fix. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
AFAIK, your only option is really to replace it.
It will surely fall if you use any kind of solvent on it with any kind of pressure..
I think most shops do them for around $200, not too bad.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
I agree with Necrosan on this one- I tried cleaning a headliner once very carefully on my old 85 Parisienne and it started to fall... I think if the vehicle was new it may work but 10 years old, I doubt I'd chance it unless I was willing to get it replaced anyway, then you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
I used to detail cars for a small car lot and I would use a toothbrush and some windex then suck the moisture out with a shop vac, never had any problems... you could also use a steam cleaner...

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
I've used Wolfgang carpet/upholstery cleaner from AutoGeek with no problems. Didn't have to do much cleaning of the headliner, but the pillars (all covered with the same padded fabric as the headliner) got some serious scrubbing with no release or color change.

The liner on my sunshade had separated near the front, and thinking "I have nothing to loose", I peeled it off carefully where it was still attached and ran through three "super-scrub" cycles in the washing machine with hot water using a mild detergent for microfiber towels. All traces of the foam backing came off and they fabric itself didn't fray or change color. Then found a product called "baby dry" at a fabric store (it's a soft almost felt-like fabric covered on one side with a thin bonded plastic layer. Glued the cover to the fabric side of the baby dry using 3M Super 66 spray adhesive on both surfaces and the plastic side to the sunshade. Looks and feels original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts