Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to clean the headliner? It also kind of sinks lower over
the back seat, depending on the weather. I hate that. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
My headliner is stapled on, but I really don't suggest that it looks kinda tacky. haha that's a pun.

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I guess no one else cleans the headliner. I've been using Blue Coral Dry Clean and it works okay. That sounds scary, changing the headliner. Though the headliner isn't really touching the top of the roof over the back seat. I have a moonroof and the vanity lights in the back, so I was assuming that the space was left there for the moonroof to slide into when it was opened. No?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id also be interested in learning about this...... Ive got a few stains on mine, from apparently a leaky sunroof.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
SupaFly said:
What can I use to clean the headliner? It also kind of sinks lower over
the back seat, depending on the weather. I hate that. Any suggestions?
I haven't tried this, but here's a suggestion for that sagging headliner.

Get a hyopodermic syringe and fill it with some kind of glue. Inject dabs of glue here and there through the headliner and insulation. Get some glue on both sides of the insulation.

You'll have to hold the headliner and insulation up against the car top while the glue dries. You could use a length of broomstick with a pad at the top.

You might have to do this in quite a few spots so the headliner looks good.

What kind of glue to use ? I don't know. You could try rubber cement, which is available at office-supply stores. It's clean to work with and dries fast.

Anybody got any other suggestions on glue to use ?

A hypodermic syringe might be hard to get. (Junkies use them.) But ink filler kits for inkjet printers often include blunt-needle syringes. If you get one of these kits, make sure it has metal needles, not plastic injection nozzles which are quite wide in diameter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WildFlax said:
I haven't tried this, but here's a suggestion for that sagging headliner.

I just thought of a possible problem with injecting glue through the headliner. The glue might soak back through the headliner and cause a stain.

You could try it out on a scrap of cloth first.

A thick, viscous glue would be least likely to soak back through. Here again rubber cement might be good. Leave the cap off the rubber cement bottle for a day or two to let evaporation make the glue thicker.

If you need to glue quite a few spots, put them in straight rows across the car. That will give the headliner a natural look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
headliner cleaner

i have the same problem with my sunroof and the headliner sagging behind it. After trying to fix it many times, i decided i would just put a new one in, they are only like 40 bucks at pep boys and the headliner adhesive is another 13 or something. Not only does it fix the problem, but it looks a lot nicer. However,if you just want to fix the sag, go down to the office supply store or a hardware store and either get some spray mount adhesive, or elmers sprayable glue, obviously, they both spray on like spray paint. Take the headliner off behing the sunroof by pulling off the strip of rubber holding it on the spray a coat over the inside of the headliner and then prop up with a stick and some sort of board on the end. after it is dry, just reapply the rubber around the sunroof. What you will find in glueing it though, is that when the headliner sags, it stretches, so you will have to pull some of the fabric into the rubber to make the headline taught. this should solve your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts