Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I was driving home across a bridge, it was pitch black dark and I went to flash on the high beams, and nothing ......
So I click the turn signal again and the low beams came back on, and so I tried to hit the high beams once more and again, nothing .... so I click back to the low beams and this time nothing there !!
So I was driving at 3am with no headlights !!
The park, dash lights and turn signals continued to work fine, just nothing out of the headlights .....

Anyone have any information about what may have happened ? First time for me.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
A similar thing happened to my 79 deVille a few years ago. Is the Twilight Sentinel turned on? If so, try turning it off and see if the lights start working by turning the lights on manually with the light switch.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
You have a bad dimmer switch. It is located on the top of the steering column. It is specific to the Cadillac, different than Caprice/Roadmaster. You drop the column by removing the two big nuts (after taking off the lower dash trim and knee brace). Lower the steering wheel on the seat. Dimmer switch has a rod going in (from the turn signal stalk), an electrical connector, and is held on by two nuts. The switch is slotted to allow alignment.

This may help:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/259385-1993-cadillac-fleetwood-rwd-no-headlights.html

Switch looks similar to this:

Don't pull that metal clip out until you have it aligned.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,477 Posts
I am in total agreement with Jay. I had my lights go out on a dark road and it turned out to be just what Jay has said... After replacing the switch I connected it to a meter and tested the switch. It worked perfect for a few hundred cycles , then wa la it failed .. The new one has never gave me a problem...

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say Thank you to Jay, yes it was the dimmer switch and thank you for the step by step information, very handy. I did get the part 38 bucks or so and changed it right out.
Thanks again !!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Great, sorry I could not provide you any help but I appreciate your feedback
Have a good weekend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts