Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran into a problem with my 97 Deville (108k). A few times each drive the headlights will do a flutter. Does it once then not for 10-15 minutes. Just notice it at night as lights are on. The engine doesn't stall or in any way act up. One time my dash lights blinked on and off during this episode. The vehicle has never stalled out from these events.

I checked the codes and nothing came up current. Check engine light is not on.

I brought up the battery on the onboard screen and it's holding at 13.2-13.4 but during the one dash-blink... it dropped to 11.2 then jumped back to 13.2

Could this be something as easy as a dead cell in the battery or might in be a computer issue?

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Strange. My 01' Deville does the same thing. However, during the flutter, the voltage does not drop. My battery is new, the connections are tight, the alternator checks out fine, and the battery posts are free of gunk.

It could be some glitch inherent in these models.

·
Registered
88 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance
30 Posts
If your voltage drops during these episodes, the voltage regulator is going bad, which means you'll have to replace the alternator, because the voltage regulator is internal.........................

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
My '02 SLS (now my daughters) and my '03 DHS will give a momentary head light dim (one time) about 10 min. into a ride. No code or problems. I figure it is the nature of the beast. It does not sound the same as your "flutter" though.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 1990 Coupe (I know - completely diferent car but electrons are all the same). Changed the alternator (#4 - SO DON'T GET A REBUILT) and it went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts