Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Performance 2.0T
3 Posts
I’ll probably catch some flack for this, but the Wipe New brand has worked wonders. Just don’t expect it to last the life of the vehicle though, very quick in a pinch, cheap, and available almost anywhere.

·
Registered
03 Deville DTS, 07 Escalade, 02 Yukon Denali, 64 Impala Conv
119 Posts
I looked very closely at these on my 03 DHS. The drivers side looks savable, but
the pass side has very tiny bubbles that look to be more towards the inside, like in the middle of the plastic layer. Looks like condensation inside, but it's not.
I even used a magnifier to see the little bubbles. All the sanding in the world isn't going to fix that.
I wonder if it's even worth trying to save them? I do have a kit, so might as well give it a shot anyway.

What source are people getting replacements from? There used to be a ton of them on Amazon, but
now there are not many at all. Maybe I will have more luck with Ebay?
I really don't want to pay dealer prices for my new ones, so would love to hear some feedback
on the quality of the various aftermarket replacements out there and where they came from please.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
700 Posts
I looked very closely at these on my 03 DHS. The drivers side looks savable, but
the pass side has very tiny bubbles that look to be more towards the inside, like in the middle of the plastic layer. Looks like condensation inside, but it's not.
I even used a magnifier to see the little bubbles. All the sanding in the world isn't going to fix that.
I wonder if it's even worth trying to save them? I do have a kit, so might as well give it a shot anyway.

What source are people getting replacements from? There used to be a ton of them on Amazon, but
now there are not many at all. Maybe I will have more luck with Ebay?
I really don't want to pay dealer prices for my new ones, so would love to hear some feedback
on the quality of the various aftermarket replacements out there and where they came from please.
Thanks!

View attachment 585599

View attachment 585600
Yea those lights are to the point where they’ll never restore back to like new and whatever improvement you’ll get won’t last very long. The plastic on those Deville headlights winds up turning yellow over time and there’s no real way of helping it.

As far as buying some new ones, I don’t shop Amazon, but there’s lots available on Ebay. I would shop around and wouldn’t hesitate to buy from the best of the bunch. This is the typical price for the pair.

·
Registered
Black Ice 2009 CTS 3.6DI 6SPD Premium
13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ESV Platinum
2 Posts
Like others have said, the sealant you use at the end will determine how long the repair lasts. Our old ATS had super hazy headlights. I did a couple levels (I forget the grit numbers) of wet sanding followed by orbital buffing with a microfiber pad with correction compound, then a sponge pad with finishing polish. It looked much better and lasted the rest of the time we had the car, but I should have put some clearcoat or at least a wax to make it last. In hindsight I also should have started with a more aggressive grit sanding to get some of the deeper imperfections, but I just used what I had lying around which was mostly higher number finishing pieces.

·
Registered
2011 CTS 3.0 AWD Lux
46 Posts
Both headlights are like this. Is this yellowed clear coat?

I've sanded & cleaned up sun damaged headlights before but I was wondering if trying to save these is a fools errand?

Thanks.

Eric View attachment 585376

I've sanded & cleaned up sun damaged headlights before but I was wondering if trying to save these is a fools errand?

Thanks.

Fools errand indeed. I did many restoration on previous cars and CTS included, unless you are doing it for selling purposes it will not work. Looks great for few months and back to ugly.
I even used special UV dry clear coat, 2K clear coat with not a lot of improvement.
Look, generic ones run $100 on eBay, I was hesitant but two years after and they still look like brand new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nothing that sanding and polishing wouldn't cure. But you really need a buffer to get it done right . Using the things that attach to your drill and some of these kits can result in actually melting a small amount of headlight if you leave it on a section to long or use to much pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fools errand indeed. I did many restoration on previous cars and CTS included, unless you are doing it for selling purposes it will not work. Looks great for few months and back to ugly.
I even used special UV dry clear coat, 2K clear coat with not a lot of improvement.
Look, generic ones run $100 on eBay, I was hesitant but two years after and they still look like brand new.
for sure, once they start going bad theres actually no way you can get them perfect. Even if you do they'll turn yellow and be back to square one rather quickly even with these miracle coatings.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks.

My 09 had the same condition. Took mine to my local Sam’s Club where they restored them to extremely like new condition and provided me a 5 year warranty on the job. They seal them with an additive to help resist the yellowing also. $40 was the cost. Well worth it. I have had 3 cars done since.
JT

·
Registered
13 Posts
sure would be nice if they simply either went to glass or the old glass sealed beam style. we wouldn't even have this discussion. Here's a idea, because its a safety related issue force the manufacturers to warrant them for the life of the car. that'll get them to get a move on

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,493 Posts
sure would be nice if they simply either went to glass or the old glass sealed beam style. we wouldn't even have this discussion. Here's a idea, because its a safety related issue force the manufacturers to warrant them for the life of the car. that'll get them to get a move on
Check out all the headlight issues they are having with the SRX platform.
In some cases, they are being replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
looks good, sure would be nice if the automotive manufacurers would go back to glass so we dont have to deal with this crap.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Those were in terrible condition. Good work!

Reactions: epy2k

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Sadly, never going to happen. They use plastic so they can mold the headlight to the shape of the body.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts