Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a clean low mileage cts4 luxury. My only problems were then original halogen lights which were wet inside and scratched out and the driver side door won't auto lock and unlock. I replaced the lights right away with aftermarket ones. My problem is that on auto DRLs are only coming on at night, in parking mode, or headlight mode and the headlights are being ran all the time. I've reached out to the aftermarket company which is running tests on why this might be. But I don't feel like the issue is on their end since if somehow there was a wiring issue the headlights would run as parking as well.

Heres a video:

I do not know if the original halogen lights did the same I never checked within the week I had them in. I'm pretty sure they had 2011 cts's dedicated drls separate from the headlights.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,503 Posts
Those are fine. The low beam is used as DRL but is a lower voltage. You should be able to notice a slight difference in the light between low beam and DRL.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury-2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
3,373 Posts
the DRLs ARE the headlights on CTS with the halogen lights as redheadedrod said (DRLs occupy the same spot as your headlights at just a slightly less power setting)...your video looks like normal operation for your demonstration...

if I'm understanding you correctly the LEDs come on at night because your twilight sentinel automatic headlights are causing the headlights (and taillights) to come on as they should because it's night time (and presumably dark out)...

the LEDs also come on when you only put the parking lights on because that's what they're supposed to do with that activation...

Bill

Reactions: Long

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the DRLs ARE the headlights on CTS with the halogen lights as redheadedrod said (DRLs occupy the same spot as your headlights at just a slightly less power setting)...your video looks like normal operation for your demonstration...

if I'm understanding you correctly the LEDs come on at night because your twilight sentinel automatic headlights are causing the headlights (and taillights) to come on as they should because it's night time (and presumably dark out)...

the LEDs also come on when you only put the parking lights on because that's what they're supposed to do with that activation...

Bill
So realistically it"s a problem with how the aftermarket company wired the light? If the DRL switchback strips are only activating during parking, headlight mode or night time but not during the day like it was designed to and instead my lowbeams are on it's not on my end.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Ok, when I was looking at how to upgrade a Halogen to a HID headlight what I found is that the Halogen light has no separate mechanism for the DRL. It is just a lower voltage for the low beam. If you were to use a volt meter you will see something around 9 volts instead of 12 for those lights. They APPEAR to be close to full brightness but they are NOT. When it is lit there are no other lights lit. The lower voltage is done in the fuse panel with a specific relay for Halogen.

The HID light uses a relay in a different location than the Halogen location. There is a DRL specific wire added to the housing on the HID light. There is a specific wire run from the relay to the plug socket to the housing. This wire is not there in a Halogen vehicle.

So in a Halogen headlight there is no way to do a DRL switchback. The HID does however do a DRL switchback of a sort. The DRL on that side goes dark while the turn signal is running.

So if you THINK you have a DRL switch back on a Halogen housing... Unless they did some circuitry to recognize the difference between 12 and 9 volts, it is not happening. So if THEY called it a DRL switchback on a halogen light then it was false advertising.

·
Registered
2008 2nd gen CTS 3.6L RWD Luxury
1 Posts
Hi gang, I just got a 2008 export CTS a couple of weeks ago and have been toying around with it recently. Now, I know the export version has some differences, but what I did definitely not expect is the issue of the DRL's. I went ahead and loosened the bumper and took out the lamp assembly (had a dead HID on the passenger side) only to realize that there is no wiring for the DRL bulb. Nothing at all, just the socket to plug the bulb into the assy, but nothing to connect it to.

I was thinking about hooking it up with the fog lighs, but I am having doubts about whether it will be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
painistruth8...what we are trying to tell you is the Daytime Running Lamp/Light IS the headlight...not what you are calling the switchback strips...those are NOT the DRL...your replacement headlight appears to be operating how the OEM was operating and how it should be operating if you have the Halogen version headlights...those with the HID type headlights (optional equipment) may operate different...

furthermore...when your DRLs are illuminated, those other lights are not...neither are your tail lights...

Bill

Reactions: Long

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
painistruth8...what we are trying to tell you is the Daytime Running Lamp/Light IS the headlight...not what you are calling the switchback strips...those are NOT the DRL...your replacement headlight appears to be operating how the OEM was operating and how it should be operating if you have the Halogen version headlights...those with the HID type headlights (optional equipment) may operate different...

furthermore...when your DRLs are illuminated, those other lights are not...neither are your tail lights...

Bill
[/Q
Ok, when I was looking at how to upgrade a Halogen to a HID headlight what I found is that the Halogen light has no separate mechanism for the DRL. It is just a lower voltage for the low beam. If you were to use a volt meter you will see something around 9 volts instead of 12 for those lights. They APPEAR to be close to full brightness but they are NOT. When it is lit there are no other lights lit. The lower voltage is done in the fuse panel with a specific relay for Halogen.

The HID light uses a relay in a different location than the Halogen location. There is a DRL specific wire added to the housing on the HID light. There is a specific wire run from the relay to the plug socket to the housing. This wire is not there in a Halogen vehicle.

So in a Halogen headlight there is no way to do a DRL switchback. The HID does however do a DRL switchback of a sort. The DRL on that side goes dark while the turn signal is running.

So if you THINK you have a DRL switch back on a Halogen housing... Unless they did some circuitry to recognize the difference between 12 and 9 volts, it is not happening. So if THEY called it a DRL switchback on a halogen light then it was false advertising.
I assumed they did this circuitry as advertised as halogen only model headlights with drl switchbacks. I mean they do work as switchbacks. Other than their light being messed up which they are running tests Monday. I'm sure they could be relayed and computer altered at dealer but just really don't want to go that route $$$ to run solely as my DRLs. If the DRL switchbacks are kicking on when its dark out something has to be controlling that within the light itself and could just be crossed?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I give up.

Read what was said please. There is no way to do DRL differently in the Halogen system without adding electronics. And I assure you they did NOT add any electronics to the headlight you bought like that. As long as all of the lights are lighting up they sound like they are working the way they are supposed to. I will say it one more time.

WITH HALOGEN BULBS, THERE IS NO SEPERATE CIRCUIT IN THE LIGHT FOR DRL.
THUS NO WAY TO DO DRL SWITCHBACK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand. I just find it really hard to believe all these differnt companies are false advertising dedicated DRL running leds for halogen only models and I'm the only one having an issue making posts. Imagine all the used headlights they'll get sent back for not working as advertised. There's a way. or my set is just broken. I seriously believe I got a set with something going on. They should be active during the day according to support.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
does the company that made your aftermarket headlights have a Forum you could discuss why they don't work the way you want them to???...perhaps you might get relief there...

I think where some of the confusion might be coming from is you describe the headlights on a Cadillac Forum and your new lights (and your old lights) were operating as new Cadillac halogen headlights (DRLs, parking lights, headlights) would operate...

Our 2nd Gen Cadillac CTSs were available with the halogen headlights and on higher optioned models the HID lamps...was there something written in the description of your aftermarket lights that led you to believe the LEDs would be on when the DRLs were illuminated?

good luck with your headlights...

Bill

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I understand. I just find it really hard to believe all these differnt companies are false advertising dedicated DRL running leds for halogen only models and I'm the only one having an issue making posts. Imagine all the used headlights they'll get sent back for not working as advertised. There's a way. or my set is just broken. I seriously believe I got a set with something going on. They should be active during the day according to support.
I suspect that the company you are getting these lights from makes a bunch of different lights for different cars and they don't change the description. It is misleading and could be considered a bait and switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a clean low mileage cts4 luxury. My only problems were then original halogen lights which were wet inside and scratched out and the driver side door won't auto lock and unlock. I replaced the lights right away with aftermarket ones. My problem is that on auto DRLs are only coming on at night, in parking mode, or headlight mode and the headlights are being ran all the time. I've reached out to the aftermarket company which is running tests on why this might be. But I don't feel like the issue is on their end since if somehow there was a wiring issue the headlights would run as parking as well.

Heres a video:

I do not know if the original halogen lights did the same I never checked within the week I had them in. I'm pretty sure they had 2011 cts's dedicated drls separate from the headlights.

Any help is much appreciated!
When you received your light should had came with a jumper cable with two leads with male ends and a hot and negative red and black with fuse there should be a female end on the outside of each housing with a six inch lead the ground is no problem but where the hot hook up to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.