Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
One thing ive noticed on the exterior of my new STS is that the headlights seem to have a haze on them slightly. When I looked more closely there seemed to be tiny tiny cracks running all through the plastic. causing the haziness.

Is there any kind of plastic buffer or polish I can use to alleviate this short of going back to the dealer for a warranty replacement? I dont like to go back for so many little things like this, but I did read out on all-data's title only demo mode that there is some sort of TSB for care and maintenance of the Headlight plastics.

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
If you are under warranty your best bet would to have the dealer replace the lamps.

The TSB relates to not using a wide range of cleaners on the plastic lamps. Both front and rear. Many cleaners/polish/chemicals will release the surface tension of the plastic surface. Instant micro cracking will result if you use the wrong stuff. Its amazing to see how fast the wrong stuff will destroy a lamp in seconds.

Logan

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
My wife has a 95 Aerostar. Those vans are notorious for yellow, hazy headlight lenses. The Ford Truck Enthusiasts board members suggested plastic polish. I used Meguiar's Plast-X (I think that's what it was called) & it worked amazingly well - all the yellowing and haziness disappeared with about 30 seconds of polishing. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well so much for that, Dealer denied my claim as Normal wear and tear. Will try a different dealer on monday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts