Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? for you HID headlight guys...right now i have the oppurtunity to buy some HID headlights for my car. since my car is not already equipped with the HID kit and so forth, would i need to do anything special or will these headlights be a straight plug and play?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
59 Posts
You'll need the ballast. You can get a whole kit from Xenonlink.com from like $140. And the replacement bulbs are only $40. As opposed to factory HID replacements which tend to be a bit higher.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
other than that, i can take the two new headlights right now and install them in my car and they would work, just obviously not be as bright until i got the ballast and bulbs?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
59 Posts
HID Headlights work differently than normal Halogens. Halogens use a filament, where as HID is an Arc... think welding. It's like lighting in a glass enclosure lol. In order for the HID bulbs to be of any use you'll need the wiring harness for them, which may or may not be different from regular bulbs. That I'm unsure about. The ballast will enable the HID to start and maintain it's arc.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, i got ya...but will these headlights actually work in my car without me putting the ballast on there? i am taking them from an 07 CTS and putting them in an 03

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
59 Posts
If anything... go with the HID kit from www.xenonlink.com It's only $120, there's free shipping, and it's relatively easy to install. If you go to...

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/bumper_removal/

scroll all the way to the bottom.. then go up to the 4th picture from the bottom. The white/silver box on the right of the picture is the ballast. I'm pretty sure that little slot for the ballast comes standard on every CTS even the one's without the factory HID's.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
okay, i got ya...but will these headlights actually work in my car without me putting the ballast on there? i am taking them from an 07 CTS and putting them in an 03
Whoa wait a minute. Now you are in a whole different area...

Just a few questions, the donor car which is an 07 cts. Does that have HID from the factory already? If so then you'll need to use the whole assembly. Which will include the DS1 size bulb, which are hids only on the market, and the ballast which is screwed on the bottom of the assembly. Since the 07 assembly already has the ballast and such. All you would need to do is plug in the harness from the car. Which in my opinion is the same, because it plugs in the the lens, not the bulbs directly. The only thing that you will not be able to use form the lens assembly, is the sprayer for washing the lens.

If however, they do not have factory HIDs. Then yes, you will need to buy a kit. Which will include the bulb, ballast and wiring harness. As well as mounting hardware.

If you have to go to the route of buying a HID kit, the only two suggestions that I have are... One to make a hole in the dust cap so that you could put it back on to keep dust and water out of the assembly while keeping the ballast out of the lens entirely. Two, buy a slim case ballast. It will allow you to install the ballast where the factory ballast would of gone. Right underneath the lens. In this case, the HID kit that you will need to buy for the low beams are 9006. Which will include the stuff for both sides. And 9005 for the high beams if you feel like it.

KOT

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa wait a minute. Now you are in a whole different area...

Just a few questions, the donor car which is an 07 cts. Does that have HID from the factory already? If so then you'll need to use the whole assembly. Which will include the DS1 size bulb, which are hids only on the market, and the ballast which is screwed on the bottom of the assembly. Since the 07 assembly already has the ballast and such. All you would need to do is plug in the harness from the car. Which in my opinion is the same, because it plugs in the the lens, not the bulbs directly. The only thing that you will not be able to use form the lens assembly, is the sprayer for washing the lens.

KOT

so you are saying what i was thinking...i take the new headlights, and just install them on my car and it is pluig and play...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
If the donor car, the 07, already has the factory installed hids. Then yes, it would be a plug and play.

Enjoy the new looks.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
yea if the lights your getting from the donor car came with factory HIDs, all you gotta do is plug in the harness and your good to go. stockies have 4300k color temp which are like a medium white color. if you decided to go with a cooler white, or even blue, purple and so forth, all you would have to do is buy new bulbs. 5000k are pure white which i love, 6000k has a light blue tint to it. 8000k is blue, 10000k your getting more into the purple side. once you get them on your gonna think to yourself why you didnt do it a long time ago. halogens s*ck!

Hey KOT, I went to the body shop this morning. Dude got my headlight from GM and it was the correct original headlight that the car orginally came with. He said that my left headlight must have been replaced sometime before and was probably a self leveling headlight which my car didnt come with. anywho, a new headlight from GM was 400 bucks and he gave me a new matching one at his cost for 260 and he did all the work. I went ahead and did it. I also pointed out a dent i had on my front right fender and he had his guys knock it out for nothing. Everything looks sweet now. thanks for everything dude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts