Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cetera
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved this car when it was first given to us by my parents for my son about 20 months ago. The car only had 55000 miles on it and drove great. Come to find out later that they were having issues with it and pawned it on us. Since, all the oil seals blew ($1200), coolant control valve ($300), sunroof stopped working (did not fix), tires almost wore all the way thru because of alignment issues (inside of the tires had about an inch of steal showing while the outside looked great), and the one that has been a thorn in my side most of the time is these stupid headlights. Its gotten worse over time. It used to be about once a month or two. Now About 1/2 the time I use it, the stupid headlights won't turn off. I have to keep a wrench with me at all times. I think it is the headlight relay or the headlight switch. Will someone tell me the part on the car and where I can get it so I can fix this thing. Now my favorite (honest and cheap) won't work on these cars anymore.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
  • tires almost wore all the way thru because of alignment issues (inside of the tires had about an inch of steal showing while the outside looked great),
    Cateras tend to wear their tires that way. The Macpherson Strut front and Semi-Trailing Arm rear suspensions both incease the negative camber as the springs age and weaken. Front camber is adjustable but the rear camber is fixed. Yearly alignment helps but the tires will still wear their inside edges faster than the rest of the tread.

• all the oil seals blew ($1200),
    All the engine seals? The common ones are the rear crankshaft seal, and the camcover gaskets. Both will leak if the crankcase breather clogs up, allowing internal pressure to build and force oil to find a way out. Head gaskets can fail due to coolant acidity eating at them, but it's not that common.

• coolant control valve ($300),
    A common problem. I've gone through 2 in 9 years.

• sunroof stopped working (did not fix),
    Probably the sunroof dial. Usually manifests as the roof opening or closing by itself. You might try removing and cleaning it, or simply replace it.
You might want to read my Catera write-ups for more info:
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t239-catera-overview-history-by-elvin-rivera
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t108-catera-suspension-upgrades-overview

·
Registered
2000 Catera and 14 previous Cadillacs, Mercedes E320 Cabrio
77 Posts
I know when I've disconnected my battery(Alternator work/battery replacement) The sun roof had to be re-timed as well as the express features on the windows. Turn to the desired position then push and hold the knob up till it runs through the cycle. Tilt, and full open push and hold it should re-set. They are a love/hate relationship to be sure. They make you smile when all is right, but curse many other times.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I know when I've disconnected my battery(Alternator work/battery replacement) The sun roof had to be re-timed as well as the express features on the windows. Turn to the desired position then push and hold the knob up till it runs through the cycle. Tilt, and full open push and hold it should re-set. They are a love/hate relationship to be sure. They make you smile when all is right, but curse many other times.
True. Forgot that detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts