Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I've been on this forum for a while, and I'm the only crazy dude I know who is about to crack open his 2nd set of 2007 SRX headlamp capsules for a proper retrofit. LOL.

My first black V8 SRX that the wife totaled had the chrome in the interior headlight painted body color and it looked bad ass.

This time, I am gonna (I think) leave the chrome reflectors, but add some sequential switchback LED light pipes, and perhaps some LED strobes.

Here goes nothing... cant wait to share the progress w you guys.

Step 1. Remove everything from the headlamp module. That means all bulbs and all wiring. You will find one of the rubber wire junction pieces is quite difficult to route and remove, but use care and you'll eventually be able to squeeze it through small passage areas to completely remove the entire wiring harness. Once headlight is bare of all wiring, and anything you can remove, next step.

Step 2. Bake headlight in your wife's oven when she is not in the house or watching TV upstairs. This part is key. Definitely do it stealthy-like. Happy wife happy life ya know? 270 degrees and no more than 7 minutes at a time. We dont burn or melt headlights in this house! I like to use small wood blocks on top of a cookie sheet. Very caliente, remove headlights with ove-gloves to work area which is your wife's nice tabletop LOL you can keep using ove gloves or just some thin work gloves to work on the capsule without burning your hands.

Step 3. Use special reverse expanding pliers EP-110 from expandingpliers.com $20 to carefully reverse ply starting from bottom of capsule. Always start at bottom because that way, if you damage something, it wont be very visible. Easy does it, slow and steady wins this race. Too fast and you will crack a bottom headlight lip area. Ask me how I know. :) These are relatively expensive headlights to crack, even if you did grab them at the pick and pull.

Step 4. Front plastics now removed. Tomorrow will clean up and share more on the "retrofit" plans.

Attachments

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
209 Posts
270°F (132°C) ?
You are crazy ;)

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah. 270 is what you need to free up the glue. Its actually a normal procedure for disassembling headlight capsules.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. It's this stuff called Butyl adhesive, very similar to the stuff used to seal a new windshield. They advise you dont use a heat gun, the capsule must be heated evenly for the adhesive to release properly and the capsule not deform.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic of 5 headlamp capsules with the fronts baked off. LOL. These capsules are for donor parts to construct a perfect new unit. This way if you screw up while drilling or retrofitting new internal components, you arent out of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was lucky and at a junkyard, I found an SRX that had front end damage/crash repair and 2 nearly new aftermarket "DEPO" headlamps! I had them in the car for a while but because they were halogen, the HID projectors I put into them sat too far back in the housing mount, creating a large gap between the projector lense and the inner chrome housing. Lots of words to describe something that really triggered my "attention to detail" nerve. May seem obvious but for real, the Halogen capsules and the HID capsules are a different design. They look identical but trust me the internal plastic mounts to the lense mounts are different. Anyhow, I had to fix it!

So, as part of this project, I'll use the nice new front plastics only from those DEPO headlamps and use other "donor" D1S HID capsules as the proper HID mounting base. The end result should be that the assembly will look normal again... and brand new!

Interesting issue though. The DEPO units are not only glued together but also NAILED. Look at an example of these little friggin nails. I had to drill them out until they spun free, and yank them out with needle nose pliers. It wasn't until I removed 2 nails at bottom and 1 on each side, that I could bake these and remove the front plastic. Damn, this is a lot of work. I now understand why "pro retrofitters" get like $500 a headlamp for labor. Ugh.

DEPO halogen headlamp replacements are like $250 each if anyone wants a new pair. Part #s 03204580 and 03204581.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of that inner chrome piece. This is the assembly that is going to get a lot of modifications. 2, 1 inch holes will be drilled to mount whelen strobes. I will be tinting the turn signal lenses. I will be installing a sequential switchback lighting strip which goes from daytime running lamp (bright white, always on), to amber flow from inside to out). see the video, they are super cool.

When you prep and wash these, be sure to use either a mild glass cleaner or better yet, mild soap and water. I've discovered over time most of these capsules will lose their chrome if your cleaner is too strong. Remember, they are all between 10-15 years old at this point!)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts