Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Deville Concorus, 97 Deville D.E.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question here guys :confused: regarding my 97 Deville, mid-trim. I have no low beams, just hi beams. The daytime running lights come on and work perfectly on both sides:). when I pull the headlight switch just the park lights / tail lights / dash lights come on. I have verified that the circuit has power as when I hit the high beam switch they light up. when I turn them back to low, nothing. I have noticed that this switch doesn't really "CLICK" anymore either. Should I suspect the switch to be the problem although the high's come on yet - meaning could the switch be stopping the low's from coming on or is my problem more likely in the IPC or BCM? I've looked at the wiring diagram, looks like it goes though both computers at some point. I miss the simple days. :rant2: I have the switch off of the steering column, i thought maybe the rod was not activating it all of the way; even manually pushing the button on the switch does nothing. Low = no light, High = working hi beams. :yawn: I dont know what to think now, any advice? also, how does the dimmer switch for this car work; i see more male ends on the switch for wiring hookups than the female connector for the car has, the car has only two wires going into it; the switch has a place for 4. Also, it's a STEERING COLUMN SHIFTER - i'm told that matters. please... help! :worship:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
I'm confused. Low beam switch is on the dash. Why do you have the column (high beam) switch off?

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
The hi/lo switch does not turn anything off, it simply switches between the two. The parts that go into the computers should only be signals. They tell the computer when the lights are on (for things like auto dimming mirrors) but does not actually control the lights. The twilight sentinel is the only thing that controls the lights. Have you checked the grounds at all? If you could upload a picture of the wiring diagram I could have a look and give you some potential problem areas. Its one of the few things I am good at.

·
Registered
94 Deville Concorus, 97 Deville D.E.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused. Low beam switch is on the dash. Why do you have the column (high beam) switch off?
I'm not sure how to explain this but i will give it my best. It's the high beam switch. you know, the stcik with the wipers and cruise control that when you pull it they go from high to low via a rod pushing on the switch on the steering colum. that's what I belive to be the suspect and here is why:

when i turn the park lights on (via the pull stick on the dash) all of the tail and park lamps light up. If I click the high beam switch there is nothing but a flash and that's it. However, when I pull the stick all the way out where the headlamps come on (and normally low beams would activate) there is nothing. however if I click the high beam clicker then, the high beams STAY on. click them off and it goes black again.

the light sensors work too. if the twilight seninel is on the lights kick on (just park, tail and dash) when it's dark out... again, have to pull the stick to click the hi-beams on for any headlights to work. click them agian to go to low, the headlamps all go out, but the park, tail and dash stay on just the same.

I thought the dimmer switch on the dash controled both of these?? I thought the stick on the dash only powered the circuit? I'm so lost now. I suspected this because just after the "clicking" action of that switch went, the problem started.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
Now I'm confused. I had a '97 3 years ago, but have forgotten how it is set up. I may be confusing it with my '03. As I recall the high beam switch is electrical and there is no click. Just pull the lever once and high beams come on. Pull it again and they go off. All silently. A passenger will never know you are doing it. I always liked that. I'm not sure why the low beams are not coming on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts