Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product to use to clean the headlights in my 98 seville sts?? they are cloudy and I see a lot of places around texas that offer cleaning them but they charge like 150...i know you can do them yourself, just looking for ideas, tips, and products...thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
had the same problem with another vehicle and i used turtle wax rubbing compound, and i used a drill driver with a 6" buffer polisher attatchment. after that i went over it with polishing compound and it worked very well. just have to be carefull not to have high RPMs when you use a drill driver or buffer.
another product is out there that i had seen at walmart. i think it is made by meguires specifically for poliching headlamps and get the cloudiness etc out. havent heard if it works well or not though. im sure there are many other ideas out there too.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville
414 Posts
$150!!! :shocked2:

Maybe I need to go in the headlight cleaning business. LOL...:food-snacking:

I used some cleaner wax and 6" polishing pad on my 92 Chev truck today and they came out looking very nice. I'm sure there's plastic polish that would do the job too.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,435 Posts
Take a look at www.customchemicalpkg.com . They make a line of glass and plastic polishing kits that work. Each kit comes with pretreated foam discs and backing plate for low speed drill use. Around $14 online or in the larger auto parts houses.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
I watched an episode of Two Guys Garage and they did a headlight cleaning. Sam used plain old toothpaste and a terry cloth rag. It looked pretty good when done. At least worth a try as it basically is a freebe.

Don

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
89 Posts
I tried it the other day:
I tried using "Turtle Wax polish"... didn't do anything
I tried using Menzerna I.P. and Nano Polish, which just glossed it up

Then, I got the 2,000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper I used on my catamaran before and used that with the hose... worked perfect. Just be sure you have a wax, sealant etc., or they will stay hazy

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
$150!!! :shocked2:

Maybe I need to go in the headlight cleaning business. LOL...:food-snacking:

I used some cleaner wax and 6" polishing pad on my 92 Chev truck today and they came out looking very nice. I'm sure there's plastic polish that would do the job too.
Hows bout the headlight fluid repalcement business.
Thats where the real money is.

LMFAO

Just do the same way when you detail the rest of the car.
And if your told the procedure-product isnt/doesnt work on the head lamp covers then dont buy it or tell those that are doin your car to take a hike.

What a joke :stirpot:

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tried that plastx stuff today and thought it was garbage...i still have this light film on the headlight that looks like it would come off with something somewhat abrasive, but now abrasive enough to scratch it....any ideas?? i think i may try what k38 did..

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Maguires does make a product, 3 actually. Well maybe 4 now, I know of the 3 professional line products as thats all we used at the detail shop I ran. Maguire's Clear Plastic Cleaner, Clear Plastic Polish, and Clear Plastic Detailer. Now they make a new personal line product...NXT Gen Pastix I think. Anyway, Cleaner, then polish to seal. Detail as an periodic upkeep between every 6 months are so when you should reuse the cleaner and polish.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville STS
192 Posts
This product works GREAT! I have tried every other solution and this is the ONLY one that RESEALS your lights once you are done sanding. www.crystalviewchemicals.com It is about 20.00 for the kit, but this thing takes out the rock chips, smog and smeared glass! Only thing I suggest is going out and buying a 50 cent foam painting brush for the sealing of the lights. They supply towelettes, but they don't apply evenly enough as a brush would.

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
ok, ive got a 2000 Catera with nasty yellowing headlights. pretty much , i wanna take them off and clean the inside of them but they are sealed, with a tar like black substance. Does anyone know what this stuff is? how to remove it? and where to find it so i can buy it and reapply it to ensure the lights are completely sealed and no water gets in?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,435 Posts
Once you open them you'll never get them to reseal. There's quite a bit about this in the Seville/Deville areas. Are you sure the yellow is inside? One of the newer plastic polish kits from a large parts store should clean the UV damage with a bit of work.

MikeK is not talking about taking the lenses apart. I believe he's using a polycarbonate sealer/enhancer on the outside of the lens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
damn, alright. I was afraid to take them apart for that reason. Well thanks for the info, i guess ill have to try cleaning the outside and see what happens.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
New here 2nd post :)

I had this issue with my Grand Cherokee. I had the haze/yellowing head lights. I ended up sanding with 600 1000 1500 2000 wet dray, really wet. Once I got done with the 2000, I dried em off and started painting them with clear coat very light coats. A final wet sanding with 2000 alittle buffing with fine compound, and they alittle wax. Been 6 months and no yellowing look brand new.

Oh, dont forget to mask out the lights, dont want to scuff the paint :)

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham, 94 Eldorado, sold the Devilles.
99 Posts
Somebody told me Mothers first to clean then a Sealer Wax second to complete, has anyone tried that???:suspect:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts