Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I forget the numbers. If you look on your housings they are printed right on the glass. Its 2 different bulbs for high and low beam I think(If I remember right). Keep in mind you have to drop the front bumper to replace the bulbs too. What a PITA! :bonkers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neoflex said:
I forget the numbers. If you look on your housings they are printed right on the glass. Its 2 different bulbs for high and low beam I think(If I remember right). Keep in mind you have to drop the front bumper to replace the bulbs too. What a PITA! :bonkers:
are you kidding me... drop the front bumper to change a set of lights???? What idiot designed that?

I knew it was 2 seperate bulbs... i just need to get the bulb numbers cuz i'm thinking about an aftermarket HID kit for the car.. and i need the bulb number to order it... thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Parts InformationPartOEM PartPriceHeadlamp Bulb Low Beam Without Xenon Headlamps25735602$22.19Notes With Xenon Headlamps25735603$289.85Notes High Beam25735601$15.64Notes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bhood23 said:
Parts InformationPartOEM PartPriceHeadlamp Bulb Low Beam Without Xenon Headlamps25735602$22.19Notes With Xenon Headlamps25735603$289.85Notes High Beam25735601$15.64Notes
I appreciate that... but that doesn't really help me... i need to know the "off the shelf" part number... like at autozone or whatever...

·
Registered
16 Posts
junior2377 said:
I appreciate that... but that doesn't really help me... i need to know the "off the shelf" part number... like at autozone or whatever...
or you can just call Autozone.....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The owner's manual says the headlights are dealer replaceable. Somewhere I read that you can access the bulb sockets by removing the airbox and other items that are mounted behind them or remove the bumper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
junior2377 said:
anyone have any idea what headlight bulb the 2004 CTS takes.. the non HID headlights... is it 9006?
It's actually 9006 X/S (HB4A). Identical to 9006 (HB4), except that the connector is axially aligned (comes straight out) rather than at a right-angle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
junior2377 said:
are you kidding me... drop the front bumper to change a set of lights???? What idiot designed that?

I knew it was 2 seperate bulbs... i just need to get the bulb numbers cuz i'm thinking about an aftermarket HID kit for the car.. and i need the bulb number to order it... thanks
I was able to get the dust cover off the passenger-side low beam housing by moving the fuse box (two bolts on top and one nut way at the bottom of the box towards the front--also had to pop out a few of the wiring grommets). It's a tight fit, but I was able to get to the bulb. I haven't done the driver's-side, but I've read that the air box comes out rather easily. Hopefully this will offer good access to the low beam on that side as well.

I also considered retrofitting HID, but couldn't figure out where on the airbox side I'd put the Philips/Hella integrated ballast/igniter that all the kits I've seen come equipped with. You may have better luck if you can get a kit with base-mounted igniters that are separate from the ballasts (longer cable possible between the ballasts and capsules/igniters). However, you should be aware that the halogen projector lenses (at least on my '04) have these grooves in them that serve to scatter light upwards for illuminating overhead signs here in DOT-land. The factory-HID equipped CTS's I've seen on my dealer's lot did not have these grooves...you may want to consider the possibility of excessive glare if you retrofit into the halogen housings. IIRC, the dust cover had "Sylvania/Valeo" stamped on it. OEM Valeo HID projectors are as good a place to start as any for an OEM HID retrofit--in any case far less expensive than buying the complete factory CTS HID headlamp housings (projectors not available as a separate sub-assembly unfortunately).

With all this in mind, I decided to settle for a set of Polarg SpecR HIR 9006's instead. Maybe only a little less than two-thirds the brightness of true HID's (vs. about a third for stock halogens), but having just retrofitted HID into one of my other cars I just don't have it in me to take on an OEM retrofit for the Caddy right now...

·
Registered
1 Posts
the drivers side can truly be replaced by removing the air box. i just did it this weekend. i had to use a small pair of pliers to get the light out of the headlight assembly (my hands are too fat). total time to change the low beam and turn signal lamp on the passenger's side was about an hour. that included about 15 minutes of trying to get the low beam out with my hand before giving up and using the pliers.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I was able to get the dust cover off the passenger-side low beam housing by moving the fuse box (two bolts on top and one nut way at the bottom of the box towards the front--also had to pop out a few of the wiring grommets). It's a tight fit, but I was able to get to the bulb. I haven't done the driver's-side, but I've read that the air box comes out rather easily. Hopefully this will offer good access to the low beam on that side as well.

I also considered retrofitting HID, but couldn't figure out where on the airbox side I'd put the Philips/Hella integrated ballast/igniter that all the kits I've seen come equipped with. You may have better luck if you can get a kit with base-mounted igniters that are separate from the ballasts (longer cable possible between the ballasts and capsules/igniters). However, you should be aware that the halogen projector lenses (at least on my '04) have these grooves in them that serve to scatter light upwards for illuminating overhead signs here in DOT-land. The factory-HID equipped CTS's I've seen on my dealer's lot did not have these grooves...you may want to consider the possibility of excessive glare if you retrofit into the halogen housings. IIRC, the dust cover had "Sylvania/Valeo" stamped on it. OEM Valeo HID projectors are as good a place to start as any for an OEM HID retrofit--in any case far less expensive than buying the complete factory CTS HID headlamp housings (projectors not available as a separate sub-assembly unfortunately).

With all this in mind, I decided to settle for a set of Polarg SpecR HIR 9006's instead. Maybe only a little less than two-thirds the brightness of true HID's (vs. about a third for stock halogens), but having just retrofitted HID into one of my other cars I just don't have it in me to take on an OEM retrofit for the Caddy right now...

A retro fit is not that hard to do at all. It took me a total of 1.45 hours to remove the bumper, mount the ballasts (6 total) and put the bumper back on. Its not that difficult.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Nine year old thread... wow that's a new record. lol

But we would not recommend removing the fuse box. Reason being is because about 70% of those people who did, had electrical issues after that. Some it was with in a week, some were a few weeks. In the end, they each had to reset the fuse box and made sure that it was making connections with whatever came loose during the headlight replacement.

So, removing the bumper is the best and easiest way. The bumper could of been removed, replaced the bulbs and reinstalled the bumper in the same amount of time that it took for you to replace the passenger side.

KOT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
X Rolls-Royce