Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just converted my stock low beam halogens to 4.3k HID with a kit I bought off of ebay.

Do I align the HIDs the same way has Halogens? (i.e. 20' out the spot of the lights should be the same height as the lamp itself is off the ground, and no wider or narrower). The HID beams project so far ahead, I decided to point them down a couple of inches from the norm. So far, no other car has flashed me. I went to a large empty parking lot where I could stand far away, and it doesnt look like my HIDs are blinding to any oncoming cars.

The worst HIDs I see driving down the road are the ones that dont have projector lenses. The old style reflector lamp designs using HIDs always blind me when they go by.

The kit I got from ebay: "H.I.D xenon kits store" worked perfect $259 for the set. The igniter is built in to the ballast (JSM) so the whole project was plug and play. It took 3 hrs from start to finish. Its too bad you have to remove the bumper facia to remove the lights.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Should be fine, if you don't have the load leveling shocks though having passengers or heavy cargo in the back might cause your HIDs to catch someone's attention :cool:

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Sounds like u did it right... the steps should be the same distance apart as the projectors are from each other (take the measurements from the middle of the steps) and about 1.5"-2" lower then the distance from the ground to the middle of the projectors (measure from the bottom of the steps).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Were you able to take any step-by-step photographs as you did your conversion for a pictorial that can be posted in the FAQ's? Also, this is the JSM version and there is a JDM version (from Japan) and it would be informative to known the differences in the kits (mainly ballast layout) and how each installs into the CTS lamp housings.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Damn that's a good idea Socal. If someone doesnt beat me to it, I'll do a write up when I go in to change my bulbs. I'm switching to 4300K from 6000K.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didnt take pictures, I was more worried about making sure I could complete the conversion.

Its the JSM ballast. Its ~ 1"h x 4"l x 3"w. The ballast has a standard 9006 style power connector and 2 lead high voltage cable (1' long) permanently attached to the ballast. The high voltage wires have seperate special connectors for each wire.

The HID lamp has a 9006 base with 2 high voltage wires coming from it (~1' long). The high voltage wires and a seperate standard 12v power cable extender(with 9006 style connectors on both ends; Male / Female ) pass through a rubber grommet.
I used a stepper bit to drill a .9" dia hole in center of the twist lock cap (thats part of the original headlight assembly).
Mount the HID lamp exactly like the halogen its replacing. Plug in the cars 9006 power connector (that was plugged into the halogen blub) into the connector of the power cable extender. Then pass the grommet (with its wires) through the hole in the cap, and snap the grommet into the hole of cap (to seal the deal as it were).
I sheet metal screwed the ballast into the body metal just below were the healight assembly sits.
Now just plug the high voltage wires into the ballast, plug the power externder cable into the power connector on the ballast, plug the cars connector back into the headlights connector and remount the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
Is there a big diff in brightness between the HID and the sylvania Silver star bulbs? I have put the silverstars on my vehicles in the past plus i also heva them on my sportbike and man are they bright. When i drive down the freeway at night i can put my highbeams on and i can spot a cop (since there graphics are reflective) almost a mile ahead of me. from what i have seen the silver stars are 4100k and the HID 4300k. is that a big diff. The HID are $200 to $300 while the the silverstars are around $40 for the pair. Plus also you can replace the highbeams, the lobeams, fog lights, pretty much must of the lights on th exterior of the car. What do you guys think about the silverstars?

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Socad is right on, HUGE difference. Lots of Halogens claim to be 4100k, even 5000k. But what I think that means is the color they put out is similar to that kelvin rating but no way are halogens putting out a true 4100k, not unless they're like 200+ watt bulbs or something lol..
Silverstars are a cheap alternative but dont expect it to equal HID, its just not going to happen. Tons of people complain they burn out fast also, just something to keep in mind. It's not like our bulbs are easy to replace either.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
BishopRuger said:
Socad is right on, HUGE difference. Lots of Halogens claim to be 4100k, even 5000k. But what I think that means is the color they put out is similar to that kelvin rating but no way are halogens putting out a true 4100k, not unless they're like 200+ watt bulbs or something lol..
Silverstars are a cheap alternative but dont expect it to equal HID, its just not going to happen. Tons of people complain they burn out fast also, just something to keep in mind. It's not like our bulbs are easy to replace either.
Thanks guys. About the burning out i dont know. I've had mine on my van for over 2 years and they still work fine.

But thanks for the info. i guess i'll put the HID on the headlights and the silverstars everywhere else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts