Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got any hints on properly adjusting the headlights on the 94 Eldo? Its seems impossible to find any one with the equipment to do it so I want to do it myself but thought somebody out there must have a better method than I will be able to devise. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Without having any specific knowledge....... My car has adjustment screws....... You simply move those screw around until the level is right on (theres a level built in to the light housing)......

If you dont mind me asking, why do your headlights need adjusted..... If there is not adjustments, then they means they stay at spec, and if not something is broken.......

If you dont have adjustment screws like I mentioned, Id make sure every screw fastening it down is tight, and oriented correctly......

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Many late model cars have little gauges (graduated levels) attatched to the headlamps so you can easily adjust them. Unfortunately, cars that do not have these require the use of a Hoppy Headlamp adjustment tool. This is a tool that mounts to the headlamp lens and then allows you to adjust the headlamps to an OEM standard setting. Dealers and body shops usually have this tool. I used to have one but that is a while ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elwesso said:
Without having any specific knowledge....... My car has adjustment screws....... You simply move those screw around until the level is right on (theres a level built in to the light housing)......

If you dont mind me asking, why do your headlights need adjusted..... If there is not adjustments, then they means they stay at spec, and if not something is broken.......

If you dont have adjustment screws like I mentioned, Id make sure every screw fastening it down is tight, and oriented correctly......

The adjustment screws are easy to work but I see no level builtin. I have to adjust because someone jammed replacement bulbs in crooked and evidently tried to adjust the lights to shine on the road properly. I took the asemblies out and put the bulbs in properly. I adjusted them as best I could but hope someone has a method I could use to do them as close as possible to correct. No shops in this area still have the tool to do it.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Unforunately, without a FSM it is very difficult to do this.......

But, taking whats out of my FSM....... Do this

Park the car about 5 ft from a light colored wall or garage door...... Turn on the low beams, and adjust them so that the lights point parallel to the car, and just slightly lower than level with the car......

Basically what you want is for the lights to be pointing straight (not to the sides or crossed), and for them to be just slightly pointing down (illuminate the road)...... You should be able to get it close, and then you can tweak it........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For elwesso

Thanks elwesso, I'll do that and then fine tune it from there. I still think I would rather have the sealed beams that I had in my 84 Coupe DeVille.
They seemed to throw a lot more light in a more controlled fashion.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Re: For elwesso

I did notice that...... The cadillac headlights are kinda lame...... Their high beams arent as bright as my low beams......

Also...... WHY DO THE LOW BEAMS TURN OFF WHEN YOU PUT ON THE HIGH BEAMS????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, that could very well be a good question to ask. Does anyone know of a practical way to keep both lit? Is there a good reason why it shouldn't be done?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
84ENS said:
You know, that could very well be a good question to ask. Does anyone know of a practical way to keep both lit? Is there a good reason why it shouldn't be done?
Do a search....... I remember it has been talked about here somewhere........! How you can do it, and all.......

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Be sure to soak your adjuster twice a day for about 2 days before you twirl those screws. I didn't the first attempt.
They were frozen, I foolishly forced them, then they emitted a loud snap noise.
I turned the adjusters ( big expensive part, unobtainable at reasonable cost) into trash.

I combed salvage yards for 3 weeks before finding replacement headlamp assemblies for my '99 ETC that could be oil soaked and freed up to be useable in my car.

A major PTA for sure. I used PT Blaster-----STRONG STUFF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts