Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed that in the daytime, my headlamps were on instead of the DRLs. It was 12 noon and the sun was shining brightly on the automatic headlamp sensor and the only way to shut the headlamps off was the switch the automatic headlamp feature temporarily off for the time I was driving. The STS-V is not like the CTS-V. The CTS-V allows you to have the option of having the auto mode or completely off mode which I liked. All GM vehicles should be this way, but they force you to have the auto headlamp mode all the time. This happened all day yesterday no matter how many times I switched the headlamps from auto to just off and no matter how many times I turned the car on and off.

Anyone else have this issue?

It seems like everyday there is something wrong with my STS-V and I just hit 1800 miles after having it for 4 months!

SG

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
Check to see if your windshield wipers are on auto rainsense mode (one notch above off). The headlights will automatically come on if the wipers are on, and if the wipers are in auto mode, you can get into the situation where the headlights are on, but the wipers aren't going because it isn't raining.

It has happened to me a couple of times when I parked the car while it was raining and left the wipers on auto, then got back in when there was no rain and forgot about the wipers.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if your windshield wipers are on auto rainsense mode (one notch above off). The headlights will automatically come on if the wipers are on, and if the wipers are in auto mode, you can get into the situation where the headlights are on, but the wipers aren't going because it isn't raining.

It has happened to me a couple of times when I parked the car while it was raining and left the wipers on auto, then got back in when there was no rain and forgot about the wipers.
THANK YOU! I knew about that feature working with the automatic headlamps, but it never dawned on me to check the windshield wiper stalk. Thanks again! I will check it out and report back. I will feel so stupid if it turns out that is the cause.

SG

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
SG, I think you can turn the headlights on manually without the auto mode, in fact I know you can, I have done it one night while fumbling with the headlight stalk.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dhemrick,

You were right. The windshield wiper stalk was in rain sensing mode. Once I checked it when I got in the car this morning, I turned it off and everything went back to normal. Thanks again!

Kadonny,

I know you can turn the headlamps on manually, but GM doesn't give you the CTS-V style switch where you can have it in off mode all the time instead of in auto mode all the time.

SG

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
dhemrick,

You were right. The windshield wiper stalk was in rain sensing mode. Once I checked it when I got in the car this morning, I turned it off and everything went back to normal. Thanks again!

Kadonny,

I know you can turn the headlamps on manually, but GM doesn't give you the CTS-V style switch where you can have it in off mode all the time instead of in auto mode all the time.

SG
You're welcome, bud.

Later,
Dale

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
dhemrick,
Kadonny,

SG
Hmmmmmm, I remember staring at it the other day and I could swear there was a totally off switch. The off switch also turned off the daytime running lights, but it was a total off switch.

I'll check again later today and report back.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmmm, I remember staring at it the other day and I could swear there was a totally off switch. The off switch also turned off the daytime running lights, but it was a total off switch.

I'll check again later today and report back.
Kadonny,

The function you are stating describes the CTS-V as you can switch the headlamps completely off and it will stay that way until you either switch the headlamps on or to auto mode.

The STS-V has a spring actuator in the multifunction switch which only allows you to turn the headlamps and/or DRLs off temporarily, but the next time you start the car, it goes into automatic mode again. My 2005 STS was the same way and I liked the CTS-V way better. In my 2006 CTS-V, I could have the DRLs on at dusk instead of the headlamps if I wanted, but the STS-V doesn't have that function. The DRLs turn off if you switch the auto switch to off.

The CTS-V way always had either the DRLs or the headlamps on, but with the STS-V, you can actually turn off the DRLs and on the CTS-V, you couldn't. I like the CTS-V way better. I don't know why GM makes one Cadillac different than another. They should all be the same. My wife's 2007 Escalade is the same way as the STS-V. GM should give the driver a choice.

I will check the car again to see if the total switch off stays off until you turn it back to auto or headlamp on mode. You may be right because I never tried to keep it in the total off position to see what happens. I always turned it from auto to total off and then to auto again so my headlamps would turn on.

SG

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kadonny,

I tested the multifunction switch this morning and it appears to be different than our CTS-Vs. I got in the car today, shut off my DRLs to totally off mode and parked the car to go to a doctor's appointment and an hour later I turned the car back on only to find that the car defaults back to auto mode everytime you start the car without needing any input from the driver. I don't like it this way and I preferred the CTS-V multifunction switch.

SG

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
SG,

Yup, I tried this too and it works as you described. The toggle off switch is an auto return switch that reverts back to auto so when the car is started again it turns the lamps to auto.

I did not remember the auto returning switch, but I did remember that you could shut everything off.

Hey, I was half right :p

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kadonny,

I was almost 100% sure that I was right because I remember my 2005 STS being the same.

Oh well, that was one thing I liked about my CTS-V...I had a choice whether to have the headlamps on total off mode or auto mode. The STS-V doesn't give you a choice.

SG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts